Skating on the Planet

11 hours ago, ClarissaH said:

Reading about how much it costs for y'all to go to a local rink I guess I'm lucky I live in a rural area. It only costs me $4 to get in for a single session, which I think it 2 or 2 1/2 hours and $1 to rent a set of skates. That deal will also only get better since with the student ID from the university I'll be attending in the fall, I get free admission for any public session. 

:surprised: If my local rink charged that much, I would go everyday! In Australia, ice skating is not very popular sport so it's expensive :( My local rink charges $26AUD (incl hire) for a session (2 hours). But on Sundays there's a mega session which lasts for 5 hours and is great value for money. Only problem is that it's very crowded

12 hours ago, ClarissaH said:

Reading about how much it costs for y'all to go to a local rink I guess I'm lucky I live in a rural area. It only costs me $4 to get in for a single session, which I think it 2 or 2 1/2 hours and $1 to rent a set of skates. That deal will also only get better since with the student ID from the university I'll be attending in the fall, I get free admission for any public session. 

Free admission whattt I would never leave the rink

Reading all of these makes me wanna learn skating even more :tumblr_inline_mzx922J8H21r8msi5:Unfortunately where I'm living is basically the middle of the desert. Even if they have a small rink in the mall, they don't really have instructor to learn that much. Figure skating is like a total unfamiliar sport here.

How bad does it hurt when you fall?? I'm confident now that I won't be scared to fall since I'm dying to learn it, but who knows where my guts will fly to when I'm actually at it lol

5 minutes ago, VyVy99 said:

Reading all of these makes me wanna learn skating even more :tumblr_inline_mzx922J8H21r8msi5:Unfortunately where I'm living is basically the middle of the desert. Even if they have a small rink in the mall, they don't really have instructor to learn that much. Figure skating is like a total unfamiliar sport here.

How bad does it hurt when you fall?? I'm confident now that I won't be scared to fall since I'm dying to learn it, but who knows where my guts will fly to when I'm actually at it lol

You should try!!:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: I've taught myself alot of things without lessons just looking at videos etc. so it's not impossible to learn by yourself

Falling always hurts but falling on ice hurts way less than on ground bc you slip away so the impact force is less.You get used to falling if you just let yourself fall and brush it off. It's not a big deal! You'll end up being proud of your bruises LOL

Just now, robin said:

You should try!!:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: I've taught myself alot of things without lessons just looking at videos etc. so it's not impossible to learn by yourself

Falling always hurts but falling on ice hurts way less than on ground bc you slip away so the impact force is less.You get used to falling if you just let yourself fall and brush it off. It's not a big deal! You'll end up being proud of your bruises LOL

That's exactly what I picture I'd feel! :happy0007:I wanna skate because it looks free and I'm even pretty excited for those falls that I always see Yuzu tumbling around... What Yuzu can do to you :facepalm: Or maybe I'm just a total M like that and that's why I like him in the first place

But honestly I'd totally take it to experience the sport :tomato:

48 minutes ago, VyVy99 said:

That's exactly what I picture I'd feel! :happy0007:I wanna skate because it looks free and I'm even pretty excited for those falls that I always see Yuzu tumbling around... What Yuzu can do to you :facepalm: Or maybe I'm just a total M like that and that's why I like him in the first place

Learning it gives you extra respect and understanding for FS and the athletes. It‘s suuuuper fun. I always miss the feeling of gliding when I am not skating... it takes a bit time to feel comfortable on the ice but once you’re there it’s the best feeling! 

48 minutes ago, VyVy99 said:

Or maybe I'm just a total M like that and that's why I like him in the first place

:war:

Also, strengthen your ankles and knees. Do extra exercises bc they’re your assets and you need to protect them :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

2 hours ago, VyVy99 said:

I think we might all be masochists. I'm convinced Yuzu is. He loves figure skating because it's difficult. And once he clears an obstacle, there's another one right up ahead for him to beat. If that's not M, I don't know what is .

56 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

I think we might all be masochists. I'm convinced Yuzu is. He loves figure skating because it's difficult. And once he clears an obstacle, there's another one right up ahead for him to beat. If that's not M, I don't know what is .

:5a7ce9d358326_offtopic1: That'd be more like a challenging spirit than being an M imo (wanting to crush every obstacles in your way is different from being an M). Actually, Yuzu being Yuzu, he can be an S and sometimes he can also be an M. There's no one way you can define this guy :1: Though personally I think his hot blooded nature stands out more, or at least he doesn't show the other side to us that much

7 hours ago, dotsquare said:

:surprised: If my local rink charged that much, I would go everyday! In Australia, ice skating is not very popular sport so it's expensive :( My local rink charges $26AUD (incl hire) for a session (2 hours). But on Sundays there's a mega session which lasts for 5 hours and is great value for money. Only problem is that it's very crowded

Wow, a 5 hour session. Definitely would be a good deal for the money!

I think the reason why it's so cheap at my local rink is because there are hockey teams in the area that the ice is maintained for in the winter months. There's also some ice lessons and ice shows. If the ice is being maintained might as well make profit elsewhere as well. 

6 hours ago, robin said:

Free admission whattt I would never leave the rink

I don't know if the free admission deal will carry over into this coming year, I sure hope it does though. I wouldn't leave either! There's actually been times I needed to be shooed off the ice because the session was over. 

Re: Falling. 

I've fallen quite a bit while skating, not even from trying to do fancy tricks but just trying to get my speed up, and I've found that the falling part doesn't really hurt very much. This is also probably because I'm wearing a hoodie, if not a coat, and two layers of pants. I've found the, not really worst but hardest, part of falling is getting back up. 

So I visited my local rink again today, and I think I'm ready to commit to group lessons! 

How long did it take you guys to become comfortable with skating in general (I don't mean the cool spins and jumps, just zipping around the rink)? 

Also, what are some good beginner skates? I've heard Jacksons are better for people with wide feet (like me hehe) so I'm considering the Mystiques but not sure :/

I'd like to get some second hand skates but I'm scared about the sizing. Ive heard that figure skates are supposed to be one size smaller than your shoe size, but the rentals I use are the same as my shoe size :headdesk2:

1 hour ago, dotsquare said:

So I visited my local rink again today, and I think I'm ready to commit to group lessons! 

How long did it take you guys to become comfortable with skating in general (I don't mean the cool spins and jumps, just zipping around the rink)? 

Also, what are some good beginner skates? I've heard Jacksons are better for people with wide feet (like me hehe) so I'm considering the Mystiques but not sure :/

I'd like to get some second hand skates but I'm scared about the sizing. Ive heard that figure skates are supposed to be one size smaller than your shoe size, but the rentals I use are the same as my shoe size :headdesk2:

Yayyy :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

The time it takes to get comfortable depends on your current skill level and what you're trying to do. Hmmm I skated on really bad recreational skates so it took me pretty long to get comfortable skating backwards/ doing backward crossovers and all that. Probably about 8 sessions/ 2 months? Skates make a huge difference! (I started attempting 3turns the first day I wore my first proper skates LOL)

Not sure if you read a few pages back but some of us who got beginner skates kind of regret it. I wore down Jackson Artistes within 5 months of wearing them jumping alot and skating 2-3 times a week. I ended up twisting and breaking my ankle in them so you might want to consider going up a few stiffness levels? Well, you can't really know how much you'll skate within a few months bc it's really addictive so it could pay off to commit to stiffer skates. But ofc it depends on your weight, too, so If you're a light person this might not apply to you.

I've never made experience with buying used skates so I can't say anything about that but it would make sense if you're just testing out your waters.

Rental skates are probably a bad reference for sizing. I wear a whole size smaller in Jacksons and after wearing them down they even got a bit too big, actually

20 minutes ago, robin said:

Yayyy :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

The time it takes to get comfortable depends on your current skill level and what you're trying to do. Hmmm I skated on really bad recreational skates so it took me pretty long to get comfortable skating backwards/ doing backward crossovers and all that. Probably about 8 sessions/ 2 months? Skates make a huge difference! (I started attempting 3turns the first day I wore my first proper skates LOL)

Not sure if you read a few pages back but some of us who got beginner skates kind of regret it. I wore down Jackson Artistes within 5 months of wearing them jumping alot and skating 2-3 times a week. I ended up twisting and breaking my ankle in them so you might want to consider going up a few stiffness levels? Well, you can't really know how much you'll skate within a few months bc it's really addictive so it could pay off to commit to stiffer skates. But ofc it depends on your weight, too, so If you're a light person this might not apply to you.

I've never made experience with buying used skates so I can't say anything about that but it would make sense if you're just testing out your waters.

Rental skates are probably a bad reference for sizing. I wear a whole size smaller in Jacksons and after wearing them down they even got a bit too big, actually

Thanks for the heads up! I'm short but heavy (60kg at 160cm) so maybe I should get the Jackson Classiques instead... How long do figure skates last anyway?

3 hours ago, dotsquare said:

Thanks for the heads up! I'm short but heavy (60kg at 160cm) so maybe I should get the Jackson Classiques instead... How long do figure skates last anyway?

If you are thinking of committing for real, go to a good pro shop. Check around and ask the coaches/teachers at the group lessons which shop is okay, and if they have any brands they recommend? Then I would still recommend that you go and visit a shop and try out different brands and see which you prefer. Supposedly Risports are more narrow than Jacksons, but I find Jacksons a bit low for me in the front (pressing down on my toe a lot), but Risports fit perfectly on the ball of me feet. 

But anyways, on the topic of shoes, which boots fit depends a lot on how much support you need-this is dependent on which level you skate at, and your weight. Blades is much more level dependent I think ( you don't need to get fancy pattern 99's at beginner level, a nice pair of beginner blades to start, and then mid level blades at 1 foot spin time should take you up to axels).

How many hours you skate per week, and how fast you progress up, determines how long a pair of skates or boots last.  My current pair (Risport RF3s+Coronation Ace) are about 7 months old, and I haven't skated them out yet. =) Granted, I do less than 10 hours a week. 

5 hours ago, dotsquare said:

Good question, depends on what you mean by "comfortable." I think it took a long time for me to stop feeling like I might fall or slip once in a while doing nothing but skating or rounding corners haha :laughing: so personally maybe a year? Or less? (Granted I still feel that way sometimes...) It also depends on how good your skates are. If they're tight and well fitted you'll feel like that less!

On 17.03.2018 at 12:35 PM, robin said:

Learning it gives you extra respect and understanding for FS and the athletes. It‘s suuuuper fun. I always miss the feeling of gliding when I am not skating... it takes a bit time to feel comfortable on the ice but once you’re there it’s the best feeling! 

Exactly, i tried skating since yuzu made me love the sport and tbh at first i though i could glide easily when i step on the ice but it didn't. After that i respect the skaters even more!

I started skating in mid-November. I go to a rink in a mall once or twice a week. I get a 50 pass card so i'll finish it until june i guess. I didn't take lessong, i watch youtube videos and try them later on. I've done almost all basic skills (Basic Skills 1–8 - USFSA.org) but i have to practice more on them.