English Study Group

sister555

Just now, sister555 said:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Thank you so much for a clear-cut explanation!!

And I'm so glad that he is not doomed any more!! :)

Yup, if i'm not mistaken we dropped the "Combo of Doom" name after World's :) 

Just now, Fay said:

No dictionalry can substitute that either. All dictionaries have their own limitations. Especially when English is concerned - it's got an enormous range of vocabulary and it exists in many variants... 

Yes, of course! I added 'internet' only because we were talking about one! I seriously seriously think that the best way to learn a language is through human interactions. The more often, the better. 

1 minute ago, sister555 said:

"Samurai" dictionary!!!!!  @@

Although I like it when I make Japanese people laugh because of my terrible Samurai Japanese :laughing:

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I use Jisho on a daily basis! 

Unfortunately, it also happens that on a daily basis I either don't find the words I'm looking for, or jisho suggests words that aren't used, are "samurai" like, or something like that. 

No internet dictionary can substitute native knowledge, of this I am sure :winky:

This... might be suited a bit better to the japanese study thread but for jisho don't rely just on the definition. If possible, try to look at the sentences (under links-> sentences using xx) as this would give you a better guide to the context on where the words are used. If after that you still have doubts, google the word and try to translate the sentences that use it. It's not a 100% fail proof method but works better than just relying on the definition alone.

12 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Doom does refer to a certain type of "fate" but it has a negative connotation, something along the lines of despair, danger or darkness.

In the case of the "Combo of Doom" it was a reference to the 4S3T, because it seemed to be "doomed"(fated to never succeed) and because it brought upon us a lot of anguish and stress whenever we knew it was coming :P 

Thank you for your clarification!

But then, maybe we shouldn't have named that combo such :laughing: because Yuzu believes in 言霊 (belief in the power of words).

I was so relieved Yuzu finally broke the spell of "C of D".

Just now, daisyjune said:

Thank you for your clarification!

But then, maybe we shouldn't have named that combo such :laughing: because Yuzu believes in 言霊 (belief in the power of words).

I was so relieved Yuzu finally broke the spell of "C of D".

We ended up abbreviating to CoD :rofl: (it's shorter than 4S3T haha). I assure you, though, we named it like that but we were always wishing that he could defeat it. 

11 分ぐらい, Hydroblade said:

We ended up abbreviating to CoD :rofl: (it's shorter than 4S3T haha). I assure you, though, we named it like that but we were always wishing that he could defeat it. 

cod?  Yes, Japanese people love it.  It's especially tasty in winter, isn't it?

24 分ぐらい, Murieleirum said:

Hahaha yes! But if learning a language wasn't fun, I don't think so many people would be doing it :68556365:

Yes, but what I meant was you can't be a Samurai because you are a girl!

Instead you might be able to become 女忍者!!

Please let me introduce another site which will turn useful.

I believe all of you have heard of SDL Trados, which are required by all linguists, but extraordinary high.

What I'd like to introduce is an online platform whose structure is the same as Trados!

Of course you can use it free of charge if only you register (of course FOC).

Matecat:  https://www.matecat.com/

Enter a project name as you like, choose the ones you like from the dropdown lists, and then upload your files to be translated (big blue banner).  After a few seconds, please click the "Analyze" button.

And then scroll down and click the "Translate" button at the bottom right.

Lastly, click the "Open" button.

Of course the result is not 100% correct, but trust me, it is far better than you would expect!

I think this is because it adopts a "learning system".

Any linguist using the Cat can enter a definition or their comments, so it gets better and better every day.

Matecat is especially useful when you have to translate a lengthy report or document.

Once again, it's safe and free.  Give it a try.

17 minutes ago, sister555 said:

Please let me introduce another site which will turn useful.

I believe all of you have heard of SDL Trados, which are required by all linguists, but extraordinary high.

What I'd like to introduce is an online platform whose structure is the same as Trados!

Of course you can use it free of charge if only you register (of course FOC).

Matecat:  https://www.matecat.com/

Enter a project name as you like, choose the ones you like from the dropdown lists, and then upload your files to be translated (big blue banner).  After a few seconds, please click the "Analyze" button.

And then scroll down and click the "Translate" button at the bottom right.

Lastly, click the "Open" button.

Of course the result is not 100% correct, but trust me, it is far better than you would expect!

I think this is because it adopts a "learning system".

Any linguist using the Cat can enter a definition or their comments, so it gets better and better every day.

Matecat is especially useful when you have to translate a lengthy report or document.

Once again, it's safe and free.  Give it a try.

Ooops, you provided a professional translator with a toy now... 

5 分ぐらい, Murieleirum said:

Can I become a 陰陽師 maybe? :devilYuzuf:

Of course!  If only you can see 式神.

4 時間前, Fay said:

Ooops, you provided a professional translator with a toy now... 

(ΦωΦ)フフフ… Exactly.  Toy around!