English Study Group

sister555

So Hydro, please revise your definition of 厨房 in your brain dictionary, will you?

Because all those dictionaries you use carry wrong information, and this is a word from a native speaker's mouth (ahem).

Actually I come across a similar situation so often in English slangs ... ;)

1 hour ago, sister555 said:

So Hydro, please revise your definition of 厨房 in your brain dictionary, will you?

Because all those dictionaries you use carry wrong information, and this is a word from a native speaker's mouth (ahem).

Actually I come across a similar situation so often in English slangs ... ;)

I'm giggling at 'brain dictionary', it's a very cute term. The more correct adjective is 'mental dictionary' when you're referring to knowledge you hold in your mind or based on the mind (eg. 'mental illness'). Brain is not generally used with other words and tends to describe the physical thing instead of what it does (I can think of 'brain scan'/'brain freeze' as examples of 'pair' words with 'brain' - notice the second words are verbs, not nouns). Also, 'slang' is plural. So just 'English slang' ( :  

(let me know if this is annoying and if you prefer to only be corrected on actual questions you ask. I'm not sure how it works but I thought I'd help make your expressions sound more natural)

20 分ぐらい, kaerb said:

I'm giggling at 'brain dictionary', it's a very cute term. The more correct adjective is 'mental dictionary' when you're referring to knowledge you hold in your mind or based on the mind (eg. 'mental illness'). Brain is not generally used with other words and tends to describe the physical thing instead of what it does (I can think of 'brain scan'/'brain freeze' as examples of 'pair' words with 'brain' - notice the second words are verbs, not nouns). Also, 'slang' is plural. So just 'English slang' ( :  

(let me know if this is annoying and if you prefer to only be corrected on actual questions you ask. I'm not sure how it works but I thought I'd help make your expressions sound more natural)

No no no!!  Native speakers' comments are always, most welcome!! :)

I might have avoided using "mental" because in Japanese slang メンタル(= mental) usually denotes "mental thickness".

And I kind of like the sound of "brain dictionary".  It sounds funny and great.

Oh, I just remembered!!  I might have got influenced by the title of this album by an English trio, Emerson Lake & Palmer: https://www.amazon.co.jp/Brain-Salad-Surgery-Emerson-Palmer/dp/B01JGQIP46/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497952004&sr=8-2&keywords=emerson+lake+%26+palmer+brain+salad+surgery

9 hours ago, sister555 said:

Thank you so much for your kindness!!

But you completely LOOK like a native speaker!!!

BTW, what does N.A. stand for?  North America?

I'll take that as a compliment :biggrin: It's more obvious I'm not native if you meet me in real life :laughing: I have a light accent when I talk and I stutter a lot of times Though that could just the way I talk

And yes, N.A. is for North America :smile:

Can I join this thread too?

I’m Japanese and doing E to J translation as my job. I think I am so-so in listening comprehension and reading, but not good at speaking and writing in English. I sometimes post rough translations of Yuzu-related news clips and reports etc, but sometimes I doubt if my translations really convey what is in the original because English is not my native language nor the language used in my surroundings, so I cannot imagine how my text will be taken as much as when I write in Japanese. If I can ask for advice here sometimes, it will be very helpful.

Thank you sister555 for creating this thread!:thankyou:

37 分ぐらい, sweetwater said:

Thank you sister555 for creating this thread!:thankyou:

Oh, please don't make me shed more tears ...

I'm almost drowning in the sea of joy ...

ありがとう!!

Ahhh, now my question for years has been answered. I had been wondering why some Japanese people in GS are so good at writing English ever since I started to read Yuzu's FF there. They just seemed to me native English speakers and I secretly thought they must be バイリンガルな帰国子女. So, you are English professionals, after all. That makes sense!!!

I am an ordinary Japanese who learned English at Japanese schools many years ago and don't use English at all in daily life though I have lived in the US for a few years. I usually don't have problems with reading but writing English is sooo difficult. Particularly, I am always confused about how to use proper articles...

Also, I learned some new words thanks to Yuzu's thread in GS, such as "concussion" (I didn't know this word before COC2014), "bang"(I learned this at the time of NHK Trophy last year.) and "doom". I had to look up the dictionary because I only knew "destiny" and "fate". Now, a real question. Why do we use "combo of doom" not "combo of destiny" or "combo of fate"?

(Now I have realized that asking questions about English in English is very hard...I have many doubts about my English asking in the first place.:dpooh:)

5 分ぐらい, daisyjune said:

Now, a real question. Why do we use "combo of doom" not "combo of destiny" or "combo of fate"?

Yes, this is a really interesting question!

Any native speakers, could you let us know the difference between "doom", "destiny", and "fate", please?

9 分ぐらい, daisyjune said:

So, you are English professionals, after all. That makes sense!!!

Aha, being a professional English linguist does not necessarily mean his/her English is perfect.

After all, we Japanese are all non-natives of English!

So even now I look up online dictionaries countless times, of course including articles and prepositions.

16 minutes ago, sister555 said:

Yes, this is a really interesting question!

Any native speakers, could you let us know the difference between "doom", "destiny", and "fate", please?

22 minutes ago, daisyjune said:

Ahhh, now my question for years has been answered. I had been wondering why some Japanese people in GS are so good at writing English ever since I started to read Yuzu's FF there. They just seemed to me native English speakers and I secretly thought they must be バイリンガルな帰国子女. So, you are English professionals, after all. That makes sense!!!

I am an ordinary Japanese who learned English at Japanese schools many years ago and don't use English at all in daily life though I have lived in the US for a few years. I usually don't have problems with reading but writing English is sooo difficult. Particularly, I am always confused about how to use proper articles...

Also, I learned some new words thanks to Yuzu's thread in GS, such as "concussion" (I didn't know this word before COC2014), "bang"(I learned this at the time of NHK Trophy last year.) and "doom". I had to look up the dictionary because I only knew "destiny" and "fate". Now, a real question. Why do we use "combo of doom" not "combo of destiny" or "combo of fate"?

(Now I have realized that asking questions about English in English is very hard...I have many doubts about my English asking in the first place.:dpooh:)

Doom does refer to a certain type of "fate" but it has a negative connotation, something along the lines of despair, danger or darkness.

In the case of the "Combo of Doom" it was a reference to the 4S3T, because it seemed to be "doomed"(fated to never succeed) and because it brought upon us a lot of anguish and stress whenever we knew it was coming :P 

8 hours ago, sister555 said:

Well, I didn't know the existence of Jisho.  Is it a common source for Japanese learners?

Anyway this definition is also wrong.

But it is not so uncommon that dictionaries cannot catch up to the actual usage.

I use Jisho on a daily basis! 

Unfortunately, it also happens that on a daily basis I either don't find the words I'm looking for, or jisho suggests words that aren't used, are "samurai" like, or something like that. 

No internet dictionary can substitute native knowledge, of this I am sure :winky:

4 分ぐらい, Hydroblade said:

Doom does refer to a certain type of "fate" but it has a negative connotation, something along the lines of despair, danger or darkness.

In the case of the "Combo of Doom" it was a reference to the 4S3T, because it seemed to be "doomed"(fated to never succeed) and because it brought upon us a lot of anguish and stress whenever we knew it was coming :P 

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Thank you so much for a clear-cut explanation!!

And I'm so glad that he is not doomed any more!! :)

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

Unfortunately, it also happens that on a daily basis I either don't find the words I'm looking for, or jisho suggests words that aren't used, are "samurai" like, or something like that. 

No internet dictionary can substitute native knowledge, of this I am sure :winky:

No dictionalry can substitute that either. All dictionaries have their own limitations. Especially when English is concerned - it's got an enormous range of vocabulary and it exists in many variants... 

3 分ぐらい, Murieleirum said:

"Samurai" dictionary!!!!!  @@

Once again, I highly recommend "backwards usage" of the following online dictionaries:

http://eowf.alc.co.jp/

http://ejje.weblio.jp/