English Study Group

sister555

Hello! :smile:

So I created an English study thread.

Although it will be mainly by me asking for "proper English expression"!! (^_-)-☆

Anyway feel free to post here, let's help each other in English study!!

I think it would be a good idea to spread the word around to the other international threads. Some people there might be interested in something like this.

Speaking of which, feel free to ask me questions too, I've been studying the language nearly my whole life, currently live in N.A., not a native speaker though.

4 時間前, kaerb said:

Yay! I'm very impressed by your English already - I would be so lost on a fully Japanese forum :laughing: Feel free to ask me questions (native speaker from Australia)~

I'm so impressed!!  Thank you so much for your praise!!!!!!  (´∀`)

Yes, I will!  In fact I will take liberty of you!!  (proudly laughs)

So you live in Australia!  But you never write like, "Howdee, y'all!" !? :68556365:

3 時間前, Anony said:

Speaking of which, feel free to ask me questions too, I've been studying the language nearly my whole life, currently live in N.A., not a native speaker though.

Thank you so much for your kindness!!

But you completely LOOK like a native speaker!!!

BTW, what does N.A. stand for?  North America?

7 minutes ago, sister555 said:

I'm so impressed!!  Thank you so much for your praise!!!!!!  (´∀`)

Yes, I will!  In fact I will take liberty of you!!  (proudly laughs)

So you live in Australia!  But you never write like, "Howdee, y'all!" !? :68556365:

Hahaha 'howdee and y'all' are actually American terms (mostly from the south, I believe!), but it's easy to get it mixed up :laughing: Also, because y'all is often used in online communities with mostly American users, I've started using it too when I'm online (but would never actually say it out loud). 

We don't say g'day here much either, but we do use the word 'mate' a lot, in a lot of different ways ( : 

8 分ぐらい, kaerb said:

Hahaha 'howdee and y'all' are actually American terms (mostly from the south, I believe!), but it's easy to get it mixed up :laughing: Also, because y'all is often used in online communities with mostly American users, I've started using it too when I'm online (but would never actually say it out loud). 

We don't say g'day here much either, but we do use the word 'mate' a lot, in a lot of different ways ( : 

Ah, I made a simple mistake of "howdee" and "g'day"!!

Yes, I was trying to remember that "Good'day (pronounced Good-die)" thing!

Thank you for reminding me of this!

And I have noticed some interesting point.

Normally Westernised kaomoji's are like : )

But you always write (: 

Is it common in Australia?

3 minutes ago, kaerb said:

I can't bring myself to type y'all unironically:embSwan: but i do use "you all" a lot :rofl:

5 minutes ago, sister555 said:

Ah, I made a simple mistake of "howdee" and "g'day"!!

Yes, I was trying to remember that "Good'day (pronounced Good-die)" thing!

Thank you for reminding me of this!

And I have noticed some interesting point.

Normally Westernised kaomoji's are like : )

But you always write (: 

Is it common in Australia?

Hahaha it's good-die only if you have a VERY strong Aussie accent (think: middle-aged white Australian men/farmers living in the country). Usually it's more 'gh-day'. And hahaha you're so observant! No, my backwards smiley face is unique to me because : ) usually auto-corrects to an emoji (like this :)) and I used to hate using emojis. So I got into a habit of doing a backwards smiley face to avoid this. My friends are often like 'why are your smileys backwards??' :laughing:

5 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

I can't bring myself to type y'all unironically:embSwan: but i do use "you all" a lot :rofl:

For me, it was a case of using y'all ironically and then it became...an unironic habit :facepalm: The same as 'lol' and 'lmao'. 

1 minute ago, kaerb said:

For me, it was a case of using y'all ironically and then it became...an unironic habit :facepalm: The same as 'lol' and 'lmao'.

I've had the habit of lol since the dark days of the 90's  :slinkaway: hard habit to break!

19 分ぐらい, kaerb said:

Hahaha it's good-die only if you have a VERY strong Aussie accent (think: middle-aged white Australian men/farmers living in the country). Usually it's more 'gh-day'. And hahaha you're so observant! No, my backwards smiley face is unique to me because : ) usually auto-corrects to an emoji (like this :)) and I used to hate using emojis. So I got into a habit of doing a backwards smiley face to avoid this. My friends are often like 'why are your smileys backwards??' :laughing:

You have quite a creative brain!!  How no one else can think of writing smileys backwards???

Just fyi, Japanese net slang for lol is (笑) (pronounced "warai")

And then (笑) turned to (w) or w, taking the first consonant of warai.

And THEN w produced another net slang 草 (pronounced "kusa", which means weed).

And FURTHER THEN a net slang 草を生やす was born!! (Pronounced "kusa wo hayasu", which means "grow weed")

When thing is extraordinary funny or laughable, we even write 大草原 (big grass field)!!

16 分ぐらい, Hydroblade said:

I've had the habit of lol since the dark days of the 90's  :slinkaway: hard habit to break!

"Dark days of the 90's" sounds really 中二病!!!www

2 minutes ago, sister555 said:

When thing is extraordinary funny or laughable, we even write 大草原 (big grass field)!!

Lol i just repeat wwwwwwww :rofl:maybe because i write "lololololol" quite often. It feels more natural to me that way

1 minute ago, sister555 said:

"Dark days of the 90's" sounds really 中二病!!!www

Lol, not at all, i was nine when i started using the internet :P my real internet 中二 days where around 2004 but they are on a forum that has most of the posts long gone and it's in spanish :P

6 minutes ago, sister555 said:

You have quite a creative brain!!  How no one else can think of writing smileys backwards???

Just fyi, Japanese net slang for lol is (笑) (pronounced "warai")

And then (笑) turned to (w) or w, taking the first consonant of warai.

And THEN w produced another net slang 草 (pronounced "kusa", which means weed).

And FURTHER THEN a net slang 草を生やす was born!! (Pronounced "kusa wo hayasu", which means "grow weed")

Ahh! I knew about 笑 and w because I follow a lot of JP fanartists on Twitter and Pixiv and they always add 'www' or 'w' at the end of their tweets, but I had no idea about 草を生やす haha. What's been a 大草原 recently? o:

Also, slightly unrelated question but where do JP fans generally interact (not just for figure skating but for eg. anime/drama and other interests)? I remember back when everyone seemed to have an Ameblo blog and nowadays there's a lot of people who use Twitter. For English speakers, I feel like Reddit, Twitter and Tumblr are used by the more actively involved 'internet fans' and 'normal' people use Facebook/Instagram/Youtube. GS and Planet Hanyu are some of the few forums I still see floating about.  

13 分ぐらい, kaerb said:

Also, slightly unrelated question but where do JP fans generally interact (not just for figure skating but for eg. anime/drama and other interests)? I remember back when everyone seemed to have an Ameblo blog and nowadays there's a lot of people who use Twitter. For English speakers, I feel like Reddit, Twitter and Tumblr are used by the more actively involved 'internet fans' and 'normal' people use Facebook/Instagram/Youtube. GS and Planet Hanyu are some of the few forums I still see floating about.  

First of all, we Japanese don't like Facebook.  Because we don't like to show our private life to public!

Tumblr is not so common as in West countries.

Twitter is the most common interaction media.

And about anime/game related matters, pixiv has a great role.

Here:  https://www.pixiv.net/

You can register pixiv if you're not an artist/writer yourself.

On the other hand, a lot of 絵師さん(fanartists) register and put their works on pixiv.

You can choose "openly follow" or "secretly follow", so you can follow as many 絵師様 as you like, and you can exchange messages.