What do you bring when you travel (i.e. to competitions)?

yuzuangel

Do you travel light? Or do you like bringing everything and the kitchen sink with you ;) 

When I was in Helsinki, I brought a large backpack and a roller bag (the ones that you can technically carry onto the plane...but sometimes they make you gatecheck it -_- )

To be fair, I brought very little in terms of actual clothes, stuff for myself, but all of the Poohs and poster took up quite a lot of space! :P The poster I made for Helsinki is kind of a hard canvas material, so it's not very space efficient (a fabric banner would've been better at that...) but he won, so I'm bringing it.

But I'm thinking of just traveling with a backpack from now on...maybe bring a couple of sets of clothes and just do laundry, and/or buy my poohs at the location...so just a laptop, charger, phone, toiletries, 2-3 sets of clothes, and a poster or two. Okay, maybe a vacuum sealed pooh xD 

8 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

and/or buy my poohs at the location... Okay, maybe a vacuum sealed pooh xD 

This would sound so weird if used out of context :laughing: 

Hmm, I try to minimize my stuff when I travel but I'm still not really successful at it, haha. But I hope I'll learn one day because carrying heavy bags around is no fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if it is the right thread to ask but I am curious about the photo/video equipment people bring to competions and practices. My experience with smartphone camera was that although the resolution is decent the picture is too small. Probably a standalone camera can do better and that optical zoom is a must.  

I usually don't travel too light but I don't carry too much clothes and other things unnecessarily. I make sure that there is one set of clothes for warmer and colder weather as well. But it depends on where I go. Last year for Europeans I had a small roller bag with me for a whole week (I visited Austria and then went to Slovakia for about five days).

For Junior Worlds, I didn't have anything with me, just my handbag, but I traveled there only for one night, on Friday afternoon and came back on Saturday evening.

In Helsinki I had a middle sized suitcase, but I packed in some unnecessary things :/

I'll take only a small backpack (a size of 42x32x25 cm) and handbag for CoR, so I have to think over what to take with me. A vacuum sealed Pooh is a must :POOH:, other than that I think that there will be place only for one set  of clothes, toiletries, my phone and camera + chargers, passport and money, and biscuits to survive. :animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01:  Oh and a flag. Or flags. :smile:

4 hours ago, Floria said:

I am not sure if it is the right thread to ask but I am curious about the photo/video equipment people bring to competions and practices. My experience with smartphone camera was that although the resolution is decent the picture is too small. Probably a standalone camera can do better and that optical zoom is a must.  

I usually take my small Panasonic camera to competitions (I have this type) which I like but it is far away from any professional cameras. I don't use it that much during the competitions because I prefer to concentrate on the skating itself, but I like to use it here and there - during warm-ups, k&c moments, etc. It has an optical zoom of 30x (intelligent zoom 60x).

I usually travel with a backpack and one carry-on sized rolling suitcase. I stuff my purse into the backpack and bring a folding mini backpack if I plan to do sightseeing, and usually another folding duffel if I end up shopping and needing to check in luggage. My goal is to only have carry-on luggage if I'm flying, but to be able to pack more and check in luggage if needed on the return. 

For Helsinki I had a cloth banner which folded small enough to fit in my purse, but Pooh and other gifts took up a lot of space. For Skate Canada last year I knew there was a Disney store nearby so I just bought the Pooh bear there and brought materials to wrap it with from home. I usually pack multi-purpose clothes and one warm jacket if needed, for me I use packing cubes and it helps me squish everything into an organized space. My preference is to do laundry on trips but I find that there aren't many hotels in the west with laundry facilities onsite, and usually there isn't much time either. 

• 1 month later...

I need help with banners. I am going to print one for ACI, but I have no experience. What kind of  canvas is used normally? I want to be able to fold it and put into a backpack.  

Thank in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 1:25 AM, Floria said:

I need help with banners. I am going to print one for ACI, but I have no experience. What kind of  canvas is used normally? I want to be able to fold it and put into a backpack.  

Thank in advance!

I think anything that's soft and foldable but won't be too light that it might blow in the draft would be fine.

If you live in NA or Europe, spoonflower.com is a really good place to print things. If you choose the cheapest fabric, it's like $18/yard. That should be the basic cotton fabric which is fine for a poster and definitely foldable as it's meant for clothing. You just need to put in grommets for hanging if you're planning on hanging it!

• 1 year later...