Gamers r' Us

xeyra

1 hour ago, Winnie_20 said:

Like I said in the previous post, I am a big fan of VIII. Actually, I love all those older PS1 FF games. It's about time they release a remaster, just about all games have been rereleased except VIII! 

Getting chills watching that trailer, aaaahh, and Liberi Fatali! 

FF VIII was my first FF game and it holds a special place in my heart. So happy they are releasing it on Steam especially after the disappointment that FF VII will be only on PS4. I mean come one, some of us can only play on a PC  :gaah:

6 minutes ago, Neenah said:

some of us can only play on a PC  :gaah:

Some of us buy PlayStations for the sole purpose of playing Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. 

OMG, how I wish that was a joke. :headdesk:

Anyway, just wait a few months, they'll release VII on Steam, too. They do it with all those games, if they don't get a release on multiple systems from the get-go, they'll just release them later. Pretty sure they did that with FF XV, too. 

20 minutes ago, Winnie_20 said:

Some of us buy PlayStations for the sole purpose of playing Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. 

OMG, how I wish that was a joke. :headdesk:

Anyway, just wait a few months, they'll release VII on Steam, too. They do it with all those games, if they don't get a release on multiple systems from the get-go, they'll just release them later. Pretty sure they did that with FF XV, too. 

I know, but I hate that I will have to wait knowing that others already have it  :tantrum:

I would get a PS if had a place for it, but unfortunately my laptop is the only option right now

Unpopular opinion but I liked FF8 better than FF7.

- I liked the gameplay more (the draw/junction system vs FF7's materia).

- The soundtrack! Liberi Fatali, Fisherman's Horizon, Balamb Garden, Ami, Eyes on Me

- The characters. Except I never really warmed up to Rinoa for some reason so I barely used her... and of course she died during the battle where she was possessed by Adel (?) because her HP/Level was too low :P and I ended up with a game over and having to level her up.

I played the whole of FF VIII for the first time in 2002. That's quite late, considering the game was released in 1999. That was my fourth (!) attempt, though. I tried it earlier three times in the years between '99 and '02. I remember, I just could not get used to the junctioning system. I didn't get it. Moreover, it was my first "real-life-looking" RPG, i.e., not anime cartoon style, and that really threw me off. Finally, I had played through pretty much all the other FF games, and I decided to give it another go, really read up on how to junction, and suddenly it clicked, and I loved the game. :img_21:

I have no real preference over VII and VIII and IX now. I think IX was the first I really played through in its entirety, though, so that one holds a special place in my heart. My first experience with FF was the battle theme music of VII, however, hearing my brother play that game (I was still in the "girls don't play games" phase back then); the battle theme kept playing over and over, and I got hooked on that. That's what got me into gaming, the music. :68468287:

1 hour ago, kaeryth said:

Unpopular opinion but I liked FF8 better than FF7.

- I liked the gameplay more (the draw/junction system vs FF7's materia).

- The soundtrack! Liberi Fatali, Fisherman's Horizon, Balamb Garden, Ami, Eyes on Me

- The characters. Except I never really warmed up to Rinoa for some reason so I barely used her... and of course she died during the battle where she was possessed by Adel (?) because her HP/Level was too low :P and I ended up with a game over and having to level her up.

Lol, are you me?!!!!!

I also got stuck at the fight with Adel the first time I played the game and since I made the mistake of not saving outside before, I was truly stuck there and had to reply the whole game with new strategy to get past that point :facepalm:  (my excuse is that it was my fist RPG and I didn't know what I was doing :P)

FF7 was a mixed bag for me as I didn't enjoy all parts of it and found the materia thing to be very confusing. I played it with my sister and we traded places all the time playing the different parts. I enjoyed fighting and the mini-games and she took over the weapons, story parts, and materia. It was an interesting experience, but unfortunately she doesn't like games anymore so we can't do it again.  

This is why I am looking forward to the new FF7 since I am way more experienced now and I am willing to put the time and effort into it

8 hours ago, Neenah said:

I also got stuck at the fight with Adel the first time I played the game and since I made the mistake of not saving outside before, I was truly stuck there and had to reply the whole game with new strategy to get past that point :facepalm:  (my excuse is that it was my fist RPG and I didn't know what I was doing :P)

The funny thing is that while I don't like to use walkthroughs on my first gameplay (I usually use a walkthrough the 2nd time around to see if I missed anything) my friend does and he kept on subtly telling me to maybe try leveling up Rinoa (which I refused of course). Anyway, in the end he just told me 'I told you so!' >:(

9 hours ago, Winnie_20 said:

I think IX was the first I really played through in its entirety, though, so that one holds a special place in my heart.

In retrospect IX was really easy breezy and user friendly compared to FF7 and FF8. I was able to finish the game with Zidane at Level70 and the rest at Level50 :yes:

My first JRPG though was Tales of Destiny.

Ohhhh I just found this thread!! I've played World of Warcraft since vanilla - almost 12 years? I also play Sims series (I have them all), Civ, Diablo (I, II, III), a little bit of City Skylines... some console games like Monster Hunter and Pokemon. Did a bit of FFXIV 2, but went back to WoW eventually hehe...

3 hours ago, kaeryth said:

The funny thing is that while I don't like to use walkthroughs on my first gameplay (I usually use a walkthrough the 2nd time around to see if I missed anything) my friend does and he kept on subtly telling me to maybe try leveling up Rinoa (which I refused of course). Anyway, in the end he just told me 'I told you so!' >:(

In retrospect IX was really easy breezy and user friendly compared to FF7 and FF8. I was able to finish the game with Zidane at Level70 and the rest at Level50 :yes:

My first JRPG though was Tales of Destiny.

I have played a few Tales games, but the stories never really manage to draw me in. I guess I prefer Square games, with stories that you cannot make any sense of after a few hours of playing already. ;-) 

Yes, IX was back to the brand’s roots. Pretty easy.... except for the final boss. In true old-school style, the final boss was really tough. Nowadays they’re usually too easy. But that big round guy, ugh. The funny thing is, I beat him in two tries. 

After that, I never succeeded again, at least not without a seriously overleveled party.

My fave non FF / KH games are still Chrono Cross and Xenogears. Wish they’d do a remake of those... 

7 minutes ago, Winnie_20 said:

My fave non FF / KH games are still Chrono Cross and Xenogears. Wish they’d do a remake of those... 

I loved Chrono Cross as well (the opening music is really good).

I'd say some of my favourite JRPGs are:

- Star Ocean 2

- Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (this one was massive and took forever to complete 100%)

- Valkyrie Profile

- .hack

- The World Ends with You

- Legend of Legaia

- Persona 5

9 hours ago, Winnie_20 said:

I have played a few Tales games, but the stories never really manage to draw me in. I guess I prefer Square games, with stories that you cannot make any sense of after a few hours of playing already. ;-) 

Yes, IX was back to the brand’s roots. Pretty easy.... except for the final boss. In true old-school style, the final boss was really tough. Nowadays they’re usually too easy. But that big round guy, ugh. The funny thing is, I beat him in two tries. 

After that, I never succeeded again, at least not without a seriously overleveled party.

The best thing about the Tales series is the characters. I always get attached to several of them and their interactions are interesting and funny. The games do unfortunately tend to have some pacing issues but with the characters, story and game play, IMO it is a time well spent.

FFIX was a nice game but didn't really leave an impression. I did find it easy and I finished it very quickly as well since I never got stuck  :P

I never played KH, still waiting for a PC port. Other than that I love the Tales series and played several of them (Tales of the Abyss is my favourite). I also play a lot of 2D RPGs like Aveyond .

• 9 months later...

Felt the need to dig up this thread, because after such a looooong wait Animal Crossing finally came out on Nintendo Switch :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: It's so beautiful and peaceful I can stay locked down on my little island, no problem. It's a really slow beginning, but hey I will have time, and the possibilities seem endless ! Sooooooo happy :67638860:

• 4 weeks later...