Other Skaters' 2017/18 program announcements

I love the first half a lot. As soon as the 'singing' comes up I zone out, but the melody of the music prior to it is undeniably unique and interesting. I can never enjoy the skating too much if it's not over a solid tune :cry:

I know I'm the minority here (if not the only one lol) but I actually liked both the seaweed green costume AND the lady screaming in Loco :smile: :rofl:

what can I say, I always appreciate commitment to a High Drama program

same haha I thought Shoma's LP this season was maybe the best out of all the men >> He just needs to work on his technique because his jumps/landings often make me cringe

I couldn't really focus on Shoma's Worlds FS after what Yuzu had done. I was fried. I loved how he performed the short, but all the crossovers stuck out to me in the long. His landings are kind of exciting at first, like, good save! But then over time you're like, that's just not right, and it becomes irritating.

I actually liked Shoma's FS until I saw it live. The crossovers (the jumping technique yikes c.c) irked me a lot. Also, out of curiosity, thoughts about his interpretation? I'm not a fan of tango in figure skating (it's really difficult to perform a good tango imho) and I admit that imo he performed his Turandot better than the tango. But I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority. :grin:

Yes, Helsinki was when I saw it live.

I've heard other people knowledgeable about tango say that, but I still like them on occasion. I enjoyed Gilles/Poirier's this year.

In terms of Shoma, he's good at projecting intensity, but I don't know if it's gotten more specific than that yet. That tango seemed to be more about (musical) tension than projecting sensuality (which is totally fine, I'm not quite ready for that from him).

Yes exactly, imo his interpretation is still quite "generic". More than sensuality, I actually think that tango requires sharp movements too...some skaters go into tango thinking about sensuality and how to project that, but imo it's a much more complex music to perform than just that. (I liked G/P's tango too)

I do wonder why he choose to skate another Turandot program...I don't think his previous Turandot was that well received (no more than his current LP at least) and I don't know how different it can from the first one? I expected warhorses but not these ones.

Shoma has this ability to really change when he's on the ice. He's so awkward outside of it but when he's starting a program, he projects this intensity that, while it can be a bit one note (intense is mostly what we can say about it after all), is still very effective, especially with his FS this season. Also, it's interesting to see how he can turn into a cocky little shit mid-program after landing his quads and I love that (his expression at 4CC, for example). I think Shoma's greatest strength is what he does with his arms and upper body; that's where he channels most of his choreography and it's effective because he really knows how to work with the music. I'll probably never really love his jumps and the landings will mostly always scare me a bit, but there's no denying he and his team know how to make effective and lovely choreographed programs that bring out his strengths.

Aside from Shoma, there's been no more news from Team Japan's front in terms of program/music choices?

I know I'm the minority here (if not the only one lol) but I actually liked both the seaweed green costume AND the lady screaming in Loco :smile: :rofl:

Sorry but that woman almost gave me a heart attack the first time I saw his program when she started cackling :silent:

However I do like the first half before the singing

Sorry but that woman almost gave me a heart attack the first time I saw his program when she started cackling :silent:

However I do like the first half before the singing

True! :laugh: First time I heard his music I was socked, but it gradually grown on me ! I loved Shoma's LP this year and I never belived that he had the ability to pull out a tango like this, it really suits him, that's why I was confused when I heard that he decided to go back to Turandot. But, we'll see...

Shoma has this ability to really change when he's on the ice. He's so awkward outside of it but when he's starting a program, he projects this intensity that, while it can be a bit one note (intense is mostly what we can say about it after all), is still very effective, especially with his FS this season. Also, it's interesting to see how he can turn into a cocky little shit mid-program after landing his quads and I love that (his expression at 4CC, for example). I think Shoma's greatest strength is what he does with his arms and upper body; that's where he channels most of his choreography and it's effective because he really knows how to work with the music. I'll probably never really love his jumps and the landings will mostly always scare me a bit, but there's no denying he and his team know how to make effective and lovely choreographed programs that bring out his strengths.

Aside from Shoma, there's been no more news from Team Japan's front in terms of program/music choices?

Nope nobody announced them yet. We know Satoko will get a new program in July (or both) and I think Marin said they had chosen the music already but no more. I expect someone will debut a new program at DoI but that's too far away.

Maybe Sota will keep his? Since he never used them last year y.y

Re: Shoma, his tango did not convince me, but I know I'm in the minority there xD

Re: Shoma, his tango did not convince me, but I know I'm in the minority there xD

I'm in the minority too, but that's because I'm not a fan of tango in FS and I'm quite obstinate... Haha

It's just that lady screaming in his music was quite shocking lol

I'm in the minority too, but that's because I'm not a fan of tango in FS and I'm quite obstinate... Haha

I got used to the lady screaming by the end but it did annoy me early on.

I got used to the lady screaming by the end but it did annoy me early on.

i like Shome's SP better than his FS. and i really hope Yuzu choose something passionate so that Shoma can't out-drama him lol

• sallycinnamon changed the title to Other Skaters' 2017/18 program announcements