[Anime & Manga] Natsume Yujincho

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

f3d57e53a0f069b34cef1a72aa9ec9c9.jpg

Natsume Yujincho

NA Title: Natsume Book of Friends

Creator: Yuki MIDORIKAWA

Genre: Slice-of-life, Folklore

I've been a follower of this title since the manga first came out in 2005. It tells of a teenage boy, Takashi Natsume, who grew up being passed around distant relatives after having lost both his parents by the time he was 4 or 5. Having the ability to see things others can't like his deceased grandmother, Reiko, he was shunned by all those who were tasked to protect him and was without friends due to his "mental and emotional instability" and "propensity for lying".

When unpacking his belongings after his latest move, he found among them an old book full off strange etchings that spell out strange names and came to realize that it was a book full off yokai names that his grandmother had put together. As holding on to these names equates to holding the lives of these yokai in his hands, he goes about returning them with the (reluctant?) help of Madara a.k.a. Nyanko-sensei.

The manga art is roughish but beautiful and the anime has an absolutely amazing soundtrack with fantastic opening and ending themes, all with wonderful lyrics to match. This here is the first ED theme, my favorite out of all the incredible themes.

The story is poignant and meandering and full of meaningul ponderings without being the slightest bit preachy. It's got me straight in the heart too many times to count now and I always look forward to a new chapter of the manga and a new episode of the anime (when it's running).

The title has since spanned into a sizeable franchise in Japan while remaining on the banks of mainstream. The manga is still ongoing (20++ volumes, all of which I proudly own) and the anime currently spans six seasons (at 11-13 episodes per season), with the latest season still ongoing. It also has a couple of OVAs to its name.

If you've never heard of this title, or even if you're not usually into manga and anime, please do give it a try because this transcends those borders. You won't regret it, I promise. I'm recommending it here cos this looks like a good place to do it for a title like this as it seems to me that it may run towards the taste of those drawn towards this lil' planet.

(That and I just want to put another one of my favorite things into one place xD.)

Other titles I absolutely adore: Mushishi; Mononoke

I love Natsume Yujincho. I've only read the manga though and haven't seen the anime.

When reading it, there's always a sense of melancholy but at the same time a theme of hope. Which I find really astonishing.

I was a bit wary starting this manga because I do tend to get sucked into whatever mood/theme a manga (or any piece of literature) has.

So, if I'm reading something sad/depressing then I also get a bit sad/depressed. I also actually like the artwork. It has a whimsical feel that ties very well to the manga.

Other titles I follow:

1. Gakuen Babysitters - pure fluff.

2. Nobunaga no Chef - I'm a sucker for cooking mangas.

I remember this anime, I had started watching some episodes on the PC, but I stopped, but it was because at the time I was trying to watch a lot of anime at the same time  :matrix:and I ended up not finishing watching some of them . But I think I'm going to watch it again.

I like Mushishi, Hell Girl, XXXHolic but they are all I just watched the first season (maybe a little more). I just watched them while they were on TV, but they stopped going and I did not go back to the PC. They are nostalgic animes for me :(.

Another anime that I like is Tsubasa Chronicle, this I watched in full (on PC) and also read the manga (online).

I like a lot of animes, but I also gave up a lot of animes.

:sorry: if I went :offtopic:.

I have been following Natsume Yujincho for years, it is one of my favourite mangas, but I only watched the first season of the anime. I really like the relaxed atmosphere of the manga and how it does not keep hitting you with plot twists and action. It is very easy to read and the stories are very sweet and touching.

Yay! So glad there are really some of you here. Any particular stories or arc that stick out in your head? I love all those one-shots that center on the people around Takashi where the audience get to see him through their eyes. I especially like the ones that focus on the Fujiwaras. *^__^*

Oh and Nyanko-sensei is the most fabulous thing to ever come out of the animanga world, imo. I've had this opinion for more than a decade now and it still hasn't changed one bit. xxD

I really recommend the anime as well. There's something about seeing those wonderful stories brought to life in animation and those beautiful poignant lines actually being said that just makes reading the manga all the more satisfying.

Hmmm... I'll give the anime a try then!

Honestly, I haven't watched anime in a long time. I've just found that reading the manga is more convenient.

I like the chapters that focus on the Fujiwaras as well. I love seeing the wonder in Natsume's eyes whenever he sees/realises how the Fujiwaras truly care for him.

• 2 months later...

Aw man. I can't believe I didn't know of this thread's existence till just now:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

This manga/anime is more than a story, it's literally a spiritual journey. It makes you sherish the little details that go otherwise unnoticed in your everyday life and love the people around you.

It's so deep and genuine and simple...And while this is a story for everyone to enjoy, I can just imagine the extraordinary impact it can have on a child's mentality.

Natsume is my child. I love him so. Much.:tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:

PS. Watch 'Houtarubi no mori e', people. Do yourselves a favour and go cry over that legendary ending.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aw, I can't believe I hadn't seen this! This is one of my favorites, it's beautiful. That's the best word I can think of for it. I've yet to read the manga, but I love the anime. An episode that sticks out to me is the one with the white crow (was that last season? I think it was). It was beautiful on so many levels.

• 9 months later...
On 9/5/2017 at 3:39 AM, Saya said:

PS. Watch 'Houtarubi no mori e', people. Do yourselves a favour and go cry over that legendary ending.

Oh God, Hotarubi no mori e.....  That one shot was the first manga I read by Yuki Midorikawa, and it crushed me.  I've tried to catch her other manga over the years, including Natsume Yuujinchou, and so far I haven't seen one I don't love.  She's a special manga-ka, and I love her light, delicate, almost effervescent art.