[Removed][Translation] Brian Orser on Yuzuru’s 4Lo and their discussion after Skate Canada (Excerpts from Team Brian 2)

gladi

6 minutes ago, gladi said:

This was the first time that Yuzuru had put his opinions clearly into words to such an extent. He wasn’t merely stubbornly focused on the quad loop––indeed, Yuzuru had Yuzuru’s own theory.

:dpooh::7938863: 

Thank you so much for this translation :D! 

16 minutes ago, Fay said:

@gladi you're a hero - how do you manage to translate so much? Thank you!

I think right now seemed a good time for some perspective, one way or the other, about the very real challenges of being an athlete or training an athlete.

I would love any thoughts after you read ;) In a way, this is what I miss the most from FF - there was so much exchange of thought and detailed insights, agreement or disagreement.

I find it hard ot put into words right now - I feel emotional. I just imagine the frustration Yuzu must have been feeling at not being able to jump quads due to his injury - all the while he knew others were training hard, he must have been afraid of being left behind.

Just now, Fay said:

I find it hard ot put into words right now - I feel emotional. I just imagine the frustration Yuzu must have been feeling at not being able to jump quads due to his injury - all the while he knew others were training hard, he must have been afraid of being left behind.

In a way that is why I am motivated to translate him and those around him. The more I (maybe) understand, the more it's become hard to put anything into words. But the boy himself is so intelligent, and earnest, it is nice to be able to amplify his own voice in any way I can, inherent translation bias not withstanding ^_^||

2 minutes ago, gladi said:

In a way that is why I am motivated to translate him and those around him. The more I (maybe) understand, the more it's become hard to put anything into words. But the boy himself is so intelligent, and earnest, it is nice to be able to amplify his own voice in any way I can, inherent translation bias not withstanding ^_^||

I honestly don't know how you manage to translate him. I've tried and i never feel satisfied with it :sadPooh: i feel like i'm not doing justice to the beautiful way he talks

1 minute ago, gladi said:

It's precious having Brian's take on it - of course, Brian would have been concerned about such a strategy, not just because it was against the grain of what he believed in, but it also potentially could lead on to further injuries, but I'm happy he realised how important it was for Yuzu to achieve a clean 4Lo in a competition. I just remember Tracy commentating at SC and saying she wished to see more beautiful  skating of Yuzu and fewer quads... but Yuzu is Yuzu, so jumps are part of the performance, they have to work too.

Which makes me think this is why H&L is a hard program to take in unless the jumps are perfect - Yuzu aims at being nearly ethereal there, like the rustle of leaves in the wind. The magic gets broken if he fluffs something. But god, did it work in that perfect skate... - which I watch daily a few times.

I might be mistaken, I might read my own ideas and feelings into it, but I think Brian got pretty emotional himself when he was recounting this episode. I think last season was an emotional rollercoaster for both of them...

10 minutes ago, Fay said:

It's precious having Brian's take on it - of course, Brian would have been concerned about such a strategy, not just because it was against the grain of what he believed in, but it also potentially could lead on to further injuries, but I'm happy he realised how important it was for Yuzu to achieve a clean 4Lo in a competition. I just remember Tracy commentating at SC and saying she wished to see more beautiful  skating of Yuzu and fewer quads... but Yuzu is Yuzu, so jumps are part of the performance, they have to work too.

Which makes me think this is why H&L is a hard program to take in unless the jumps are perfect - Yuzu aims at being nearly ethereal there, like the rustle of leaves in the wind. The magic gets broken if he fluffs something. But god, did it work in that perfect skate... - which I watch daily a few times.

ahahaha but also delusional in thinking Yuzuru can be stopped after landing it for the first time :laughing: my secret alternative title for this is #distraught musings of a coach of a genius

1 minute ago, gladi said:

ahahaha but also delusional in thinking Yuzuru can be stopped after landing it for the first time :laughing: my secret alternative title for this is #distraught musings of a coach of a genius

That's a great alternative title! LOL

I'll go to bed and hope to get back with something more intelligent to say than my rather incoherent feelings which make me rather teary and smiley at the same time.

I think even Brian wasn't so delusional - he was hoping to get more of Yuzu's ear once that great barrier was taken, I think.

Thank you for this beautiful translation @gladi 

It's such a loaded piece... Another reminder about just how challenging the start of last season was for Yuzu, it makes me so incredibly proud of him and of what he's achieved. And I'm really glad that we get to know more details about that discussion. Brian owning that he can learn from Yuzu, too, and Yuzu finally opening up about his thoughts. This was a beautiful read, I got a little teary eyed