Ballet Styles & FS

8 hours ago, Xen said:

He could possibly do the second version of the black swan, sans the riding crop. Afterall, he did just perform LGC with the purple pants that hides nothing...

Yes, I would love to see that, too! (sans licking and ogling also :laughing:)  Shame is not a concept in his vocab - from his past costumes, we all know that he'd do almost anything to keep in character :rofl:

8 hours ago, Xen said:

Vertigo was "aww. my baby brother is trying to be all sexually aggressive, so cute!" While LGC was "okay, so my baby brother can be sexy without trying."  

:rofl: I remember how some were scandalized over jailbait!Yuzu doin' dem hip rolls (hahaha, the wolf whistles and yowls were so loud in the Nebelhorn Trophy performance). I think the fact that now that he's more mature and has an increased awareness of his appeal contributed to the success of LGC. 

Those are excellent dance style suggestions. You're right about Patrick's body type - he is bulky, yes, but his bulk is perfect for a male ballet dancer: good for lifting and supporting (take for examples: Roberto BolleMikhail Baryshnikov or Carlos Acosta [Sorry if the photos might be NSFW, I wanted to show male ballet dancers' body types and how Patrick's is comparable :laughing:])

4 hours ago, kaeryth said:

At 9:50 he says: "It's a level of jumping skill that Baryshnikov... you know what I mean.. in ballet everyone went 'when Baryshnikov jumps, it's just different.' When Yuzu jumps, it's just different."

Thank you for this link! Interesting podcast! Kurt was a young man during Baryshnikov's heyday (lucky him!), so he really knows what he's talking about. Mikhail 'Misha' Baryshnikov was the type of dancer who drew gasps from the audience and thunderous applause even when his performance wasn't over yet. Much like Yuzu, he had something special that the others didn't have.

18 hours ago, Xen said:

He could possibly do the second version of the black swan, sans the riding crop. Afterall, he did just perform LGC with the purple pants that hides nothing...and LGC could be considered pretty aggressive, he just needs to up it a bit more. Vertigo was "aww. my baby brother is trying to be all sexually aggressive, so cute!" While LGC was "okay, so my baby brother can be sexy without trying."  

Speaking of which, somehow I want to see Yuzuru do a tribute to Baryshnikov or Nijinsky....

Hmm...I don't know...Riding crop or no riding crop, I don't think Yuzu is quite ready to start licking up ladies' arms or pushing them down and writhing with them on the floor (I don't think I'm ready for that either! :drama:). Adam Cooper's Black Swan (you may have seen him before as he plays Billy the ballet dancer in the last scene of Billy Elliot) is a savage barely contained by his smartly polished exterior. That would be upping it plenty from LGC.

I'd love to see Yuzu do a tribute to Baryshnikov or Nijinsky. My preference would be Baryshnikov as Plushenko already did Nijinsky but I'll take either! :smiley-love017:

18 hours ago, Xen said:

Dance styles:

Javi- tapdance and maybe Jazz? His outfit from the LP this season just made me think tapdancing, automatically. 

Patrick- Possibly ballet too. Though with his build being a bit more bulky than Yuzu, he could maybe go classical? He looks like a better candidate for lifting female dancers than Yuzu.

Yes! Javi is jazz. Javi's best programs are all different shades of jazz from Chaplin to Elvis. Jazz started with the informal social and rhythmic dances of the South like lindy hop, swing and tap and then morphed into what we know it as today when choreographers started combining it with ballet and modern dance and took it to the stage for musicals and movies.

On Patrick, personally I would not really characterize his movement as balletic. I think he has a lovely flowing lower body but rather stiff upper body and port de bras. His elbows and fingers are not soft and he looks like he holds tension in the upper body especially in his shoulders and ribcage (his ribcage is too pulled up). He would be better at lifting female dancers than Yuzu though.

4 hours ago, Fresca said:

On Patrick, personally I would not really characterize his movement as balletic. I think he has a lovely flowing lower body but rather stiff upper body and port de bras. His elbows and fingers are not soft and he looks like he holds tension in the upper body especially in his shoulders and ribcage (his ribcage is too pulled up). He would be better at lifting female dancers than Yuzu though.

Good legs, stiff upper body...Riverdance?! The idea of Patrick and Celtic music...doesn't fit? :13877886:

We've discussed the men's for a while, should we move on to the ladies? I'm curious for your opinions on Alina Zagitova https://youtu.be/CeZPNJARhLw

Sometime ago, I was browsing through either Goldenskate or FSuniverse, and someone pointed out that her back posture isn't good. So is it a problem? I also adore her jumps, they look light, and more effortless than Medvedeva's. 

I also looked up Cecchetti ballet. Something they said here, about Cecchetti's philosophy towards dancing echos with what Yuzu does. "Because the true art is that which conceals the effort that produced it"-that resonates. And I feel bad for the guy who had to perform during this, it looks tiring!

21 hours ago, koneko said:

My Cecchetti teacher didn't believe in single pirouettes :laughing: Pirouettes en dehors are usually started from 2nd position (maybe to improve turnout or maybe to make things harder LOL) and they end with a lunge facing the front with the arms in the 'giving position' (I can't remember its real name, only what my teacher nicknamed it :laughing: Basically your arms are outstretched in front of you like you're giving something).

Cecchetti fouettes are also different. The working leg is extended to the front (standing leg on demi plie) before whipping it to second. Vaganova taught me to extend the working leg directly to second before whipping it to passe. (I like the Cecchetti style better - I feel like I gain more angular momentum that way)

I studied RAD under the old syllabus, so a lot of things might have changed. From what I recall, the 1st position arms are really low - almost to the level of the bellybutton. Pirouettes en dedans whip the leg to 2nd first before going to passe. A RAD student would never compromise their form for a higher extension. (I think they changed the syllabus to make it more challenging now; in the old syllabus, graded students don't even learn pointework - only if they're vocational or in the advanced level)

I need to try all this....:laughing:

Maybe for longevity it might not be, and if I was considering to become a full-time ballet teacher (which I am - ever since hearing Yuzu's struggle to get fs practice when his rink was destroyed :crybaby:If students interested to learn ballet have no means to do so, I want to bring ballet to them).

Ah I see what you mean...that is a lovely ambition though and I hope that passion and commitment will bring you what you want! :good-luck-yahoo-emoticon::665e343793b9:

Illusion mesh would've been better. His costume was not pirate-y. I want to see Yuzu do Scherehezade, too - he definitely has her storytelling abilities that could capture an audience.:loveshower:

I was actually thinking he could be not Scheherezade but the Golden Slave...:rofl: sparkly gold illusion mesh!!

I'd like to see a male Black Swan that is more subtle at seducing (without the licking, inappropriate fondling & ogling AND the riding crop :rofl:)

:rofl: YES! Most of the ballet villains are silly and for comic relief (Idk why, but all this talk of ballet villains reminded me of The Lesson (The Professor started as being silly and creepy then escalated to someone capable of murder:eeking: Kobborg did an excellent job portraying both sides. I lowkey wanted to share this vid also to marvel at Cojocaru's grand battement)

Yes me too! My ideal male Black Swan would be something like a *slightly* more flashy and sexually overt version of Rothbart as played by Gomes.

Ah Alina Cojocaru :smiley-love017:...I saw her a few years ago as Odette/Odile in Swan Lake with Ivan Vasiliev and she was exquisite...stole the show from him I must say and to do that to a dancer like Vasiliev is no mean feat.

On 6/9/2017 at 20:39, Fresca said:

I need to try all this....:laughing:

I'd love to hear what you think! :laughing: 

I sometimes unconsciously do the RAD pirouette en dedans and my Balanchine teacher said it was 'old-fashioned' (probably also because the Balanchine style wants straight-to-the-point steps and less of the flourishes:laughing:) I like Cecchetti fouettes more because they look so pretty (Tamara RojoViengsay ValdesMarianela Nunez). It's also easier to turn multiple fouettes and travel less.

Ah I see what you mean...that is a lovely ambition though and I hope that passion and commitment will bring you what you want! :good-luck-yahoo-emoticon::665e343793b9:

Thank you! It would definitely be a long and arduous journey.:smiley-happy085:

I was actually thinking he could be not Scheherezade but the Golden Slave...:rofl: sparkly gold illusion mesh!!

I think both roles would appeal to him :rofl::rofl: But yes for sparkly gold illusion mesh!! (he'd probably go all in and pair it with shiny gold harem pants :rofl:Unless you meant sparkly gold illusion mesh for both top and bottom? :rofl:)

Ah Alina Cojocaru :smiley-love017:...I saw her a few years ago as Odette/Odile in Swan Lake with Ivan Vasiliev and she was exquisite...stole the show from him I must say and to do that to a dancer like Vasiliev is no mean feat.

Alina Cojocaru is amaaazing :smiley-love017::bow: Lucky you!! She already showed so much potential at 15 (So adorable in D'Artagnan - though it must have caused a stir back in 1997 when she did dem gymnastic moves at a ballet competition :laughing:. I wonder if she could still do these stunts now). She's very versatile - from playing the naive Pupil in The Lesson, the wily Odile to the regal Odette. 

I agree, stealing the show from Ivan Vasiliev IS impressive - he's a legend in his own right (it must be intimidating to partner with him - in this Le Corsaire performance, you can hear the audience gasp in awe and clap at every step - and the deafening applause afterwards)