I am not a big fan of the Otonal costume, but I was a huge fan of his Chopin V1 costume: indigo blue, elegant grey belt with gems and black pants....so very classic and elegant.

Otonal neckline seems too low and the front is like a peplum at the bottom...it works with Notte Stellata swan costume but, for me, not so much here.  Otonal costume strikes me as kinda blah...meh...ordinary and not extraordinary

Seimei V2 costume was beyond inspired and truly majestic, regal, royal etc.

However, I am here for his skating..so he could wear a paper bag and I would still watch and be a fan.

5 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Not so much cultural bias, but maybe a lack of familiarity? I know almost nothing about Japanese mythology, so a three-legged crow god would be totally new to me.

That is a more forgiving way to look at it! You're right... I was just kicking myself because this has been discussed before, but I totally forgot until his iPod was mentioned (I can see why now):

On 2/20/2018 at 11:38 PM, Floria said:

I can see Seimei star on the iPod case, but what is the bird? Does it have any special meaning?

On 2/21/2018 at 12:13 AM, Anya said:

I think I read somewhere before that it's a yatagarasu (crow-god). But I dont know if it has a special meaning or something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-legged_crow

On 2/21/2018 at 9:14 AM, sweetwater said:

Yatagarasu is the bird used in the crest of Yuzuruha shrine, although their Yatagarasu is depicted like this.

14 hours ago, LadySnowblood said:

Corrected, there is a story of a god who took the form of a three-legged crow, who maybe becomes a man in this telling... Feeling very "duuhhhh" for not making the connection earlier but incendiary beauty will do to a person that I guess (along with a dash of Western cultural bias) :headdesk:

His head movement in the beginning is very crow-like and the burning, smoldering look of the costume truly is of the sun, just in a darker way (like sunspots).

ETA: If he is a crow turned into man, would the open/bare areas of the costume be from shedding or molting? I thought of those as being burned patches but a creature of the sun wouldn't be harmed by it.

I'd say you'd have to be Japanese or even  a Japanese Yuzu fan to know.

https://matcha-jp.com/en/6083

The symbol of the Yuzuruha  (諭鶴羽 )shrine is the yatagarasu  (八咫烏- 8 span crow). 

http://yokai.com/yatagarasu/

The  yatagarasu did not have three legs in the Kojiki (711–712 CE), but later it was merged with the  三足烏  ( three-legged crow) of Chinese mythology in 930 CE.  

https://medium.com/japanology/tengu-the-legendary-japanese-creature-of-the-mountain-b90f7ae1078f

Then we have the tengu (天狗 -heavenly dog), which is a kami or youkai  with avian characteristics. Somehow the  天狗 in Chinese mythology turned from a dog into a crow in Japan.  There is a theory that the karasu(crow) tengu's origin can be traced back to the yatagarasu. Yes, it all got jumbled and is now three-in-one. 

:darklordyuzu:

16 hours ago, moonkat said:

Yuzu may be great at seeing the big picture when it comes to his performance, but not his costume . 

Etude was an absolute master piece of contrast, will H&L looks muted and ordinary in comparison on camera.

Chopin 1.0 had best proportions with a contrast of colors that perfectly contour. 2.0 had those golden strips that stick out sideways. Each version of Chopin look flatter the last.

Yuzuru_H_Costumes_Fotor_Collage.jpg

15 hours ago, Terrapin said:

I am so in love with that first version of Chopin. Actually the version of this programme I rewatch the most is the GPF 2014 one (because of sentimental reasons as it was just after the terrible COC crash, and because of this costume: I love everything from the deeper shade of blue to the black belt adorned with these white pearls). I didn't like the second version at all because of these golden patches that stick out too much and the paler blue which looks flatter as you say. I like the collar in the last version but I'm still mourning that first version which is simpler and more elegant. 

To me H&L is one of my favourites i love the colours transition and the general form. Also for me the chopin order goes from last to first. My favorite vers is the last one. The color is brighter and i love the details around the neck, it looks more elegant to me while the first one is the most simple.

12 hours ago, Louitunes said:

Does anyone know if Yuzu had a message on his under armour at Autumn Classic and if so what it said?  I Read somewhere that he has in the past put messages on his training gear. One said "Conquer Myself"   ?????

I don't know if he had a message on his UA at ACI but you can read about the previous messages (including "conquer myself") here:

https://sportymags.wordpress.com/2015/11/21/yuzuru-hanyu-training-gear-messages/

I really like Otonal costume. It's not Seimei/Notte Stellata/LGC/Origin tier but its still beautiful. I love the color from afar when he revealed it. When its up close, I like its details. I dont mind the neckline at all. It showcases his beautiful slender neck. The minor problem I have with it is the length if the top. I think it is a little short. But I think the reason for its length is to show the rhinestones design underneath it on the pants. Yeah he could very well go for something like orange or maroon to fit the season but I think he wants to tribute to Johnny's Otonal costume, hence the blue. Really, only Yuzuru can work the flashiness and androgny. His body is sooo slender that these costumes show off that hourglass body and  he made them his own. Imagine a bulky male skater in them

On 9/24/2018 at 8:40 PM, kaeryth said:

I immediately think of black poto 2.0 when I saw Origin costume. That's why I'm abit :scratch2: with all Shoma comparision. It does have some similarities but its base more on Poto2.0 IMO. Maybe 2014-15 was too long ago that some people forget it ? I think designers have some fix style that they tend to overlap. Mai's LP costume and one of Akiko's EX are quite similar to Yuzuru's Requiem but i don't see people make a big fuss  bout it ( at least not multiple tweets and CC asks). I love Origin costume, one of his best, or even his best costume.  It suit perfectly with the program. His package for the LP is wonderful, the costume, the gloves and the hair. 

As for the Otonal, its fine. I do think it can be better but its not worse either. I wish it would be abit longer and the farbic in the arm would be like Chopin's, but his costumes often has some changes as the season goes, we often see the final design around 2nd GP/GPF. Chopin 1.0 costume changed in every competition as the blue part were bigger and darkder. 

15 minutes ago, Katt said:

I immediately think of black poto 2.0 when I saw Origin costume. That's why I'm abit :scratch2: with all Shoma comparision. It does have some similarities but its base more on Poto2.0 IMO. Maybe 2014-15 was too long ago that some people forget it ? I think designers have some fix style that they tend to overlap. Mai's LP costume and one of Akiko's EX are quite similar to Yuzuru's Requiem but i don't see people make a big fuss  bout it ( at least not multiple tweets and CC asks). I love Origin costume, one of his best, or even his best costume.  It suit perfectly with the program. His package for the LP is wonderful, the costume, the gloves and the hair. 

As for the Otonal, its fine. I do think it can be better but its not worse either. I wish it would be abit longer and the farbic in the arm would be like Chopin's, but his costumes often has some changes as the season goes, we often see the final design around 2nd GP/GPF. Chopin 1.0 costume changed in every competition as the blue part were bigger and darkder. 

I thought those referred to the Otonal costume?

1 minute ago, kelly said:

I thought those referred to the Otonal costume?

Both, from what I saw. Some even said there's news about Otonal being Shoma's alternative Turandot design that Satomi recyle when its just a vague tweet from a fan (which she deleted later). Lots of things about Yuzuru tend to be exaggerate, that's why I hope some people would be more careful and double check before they tweet/talk.

On 9/24/2018 at 9:35 AM, ralucutzagy said:

Ice King :tumblr_inline_mto5hwcNlg1qid2nw:                   Dark Lord :7562096:                  Spring Fairy :tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:

wow . . . really looking at each one at the same time really hammers in the story he's trying to tell with these three programs

Otonal - a look back at the hardships and triumphs he's endured as a skater, those years are obviously interpreted by Yuzu as being a cold and harsh time for him. No room for mistakes or you'll freeze to death, forgotten

Origin - the shedding and burning of that past self and being reborn as someone free of earthly desires (having accomplished his main goals)

Haru yo koi - a hope-filled look to the future-where once was unforgiving, hard ice has now melted leaving the beautiful sun and nature to shine

he's for sure not gonna change his costumes

On 9/25/2018 at 9:11 AM, Katt said:

As for the Otonal, its fine. I do think it can be better but its not worse either. I wish it would be abit longer and the farbic in the arm would be like Chopin's, 

I love both of his new costumes.  The blue in Otonal is just gorgeous.  I actually like the V-neck in this case, just because of the slight collar.  His necklaces look good when he's wearing V-necks, I think.  I wouldn't mind if the top was just a bit longer either, but I think the fabric in his arms is better for this program.  I was impressed by the delicacy of some of his arm movements during Otonal.  I think a bigger sleeve like in Chopin would conceal some of that.

The Origin costume is awesome and fierce.  It looks like he's taking no prisoners. :68468287:  I actually love the tiny touches of purple in there.  The whole effect is very primal and organic, like a phoenix rising from the ashes (of his formerly Zen mindset? :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:).

And since I'm coming to this thread late, I'll just mention just a few more of my favorite costumes:

Seimei is one of my absolute favorites.  It is so different and so iconic.  My favorite version is the one he wore at the PC Olympics: the clean crisp white with just a hint of texture and design in it, the shade of blue in the ribbon on the sleeves and neckline, and the more minimal and distinct sparkly touches.  Some of the earlier versions of Seimei were a bit too busy for me; the PC one was perfect in my eyes.

H&L is so gorgeous too.  It's another favorite, although I still find myself disliking the floppy shoulder piece.  But the rest of it is so beautiful it overcomes my petty dislike!  The color transition on the body and sleeves is just breathtaking to me, and soothing like a calm ocean.  It goes perfectly with the understated but powerful music for H&L.

Etude in D-Sharp Minor... Wow, the colors were spectacular and the design was so flowing and beautiful.  Again, it has the floppy shoulder piece, but again, the rest is so beautiful that I can't help but love it.  Darn you, Yuzu, for challenging my sense of what a good costume is.  I mean, just look at the detail on it!

Like makebelieveup said, I think only Yuzu could pull off these costumes.