In the run up to Sochi - I think it was Finlandia- he was late for the press conference with Voronov and Gachinski - and a journalist asked about his costume and he said Johnny Weir had designed it and the other two exchanged knowing looks - he either didn’t notice or wasn’t bothered.  I don’t think it occurs to him to consider anything but his own aesthetic which is refreshing.  It’s on YouTube somewhere.

49 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It means that they're trying to keep to some kind of 'rules' for the competition outfits - either written or unwritten.

This article comments

"Interestingly, the International Skating Rulebook states that figure skating costumes “must be modest, dignified and appropriate for athletic competition ― not garish or theatrical in design,” according to ESPN."

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mens-olympic-figure-skating-costumes_us_5a8321bfe4b02b66c5126253

Yuzu seems to be pushing the boundaries...a lot.

55 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Shoma isn't exactly a slouch in the frilly, glittery costume department either (though he's a lot more restrained with the frills - they're more like flutter or fringe).

I remember Shoma saying that he leaves the music, choreography and costume design to experts and would adapt to anything thrown at him, except that he hates frills.

I'm fine with anything Yuzu might potentially wear as long as it isn't like his boobskirt and dory costumes :LOL: And if Yuzu is really incorporating some of Plush's costume designs into his own I really hope he doesn't adopt the extreme V-necks Plush likes to sport... I'm not a big fan of illusion mesh :14066882: (with exception of his swan costume! It's so pretty that I can't bring myself to hate the mesh^^)

(But the idea of Yuzu in black is really exciting! :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg: )

6 hours ago, Rainbow said:

not garish or theatrical in design,” according to ESPN."

Well, the trouble with that rule, like so many of the ISU's rules, is that it's open to interpretation. IMO none of Yuzu's competition costumes have been garish, although some might be considered theatrical (after all, SEIMEI was pretty well theatre from start to finish because Yuzu was playing a character).

I'd love for some of the bad costumes of the late 80's and early 90's to be reviewed with this rule in mind. Not sure that many of Yagudin's or Plush's costumes would pass... Ilia Kulik most definitely would not pass...

9 часов назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

Also, I'm going to point out here that Shoma isn't exactly a slouch in the frilly, glittery costume department either (though he's a lot more restrained with the frills - they're more like flutter or fringe). And it suits him beautifully, and he doesn't look girly at all. For that matter, most of the Japanese male skaters tend to be very well dressed on the ice - they seem to have taste.

Yes, you can just watch Japan Nats - there can be more spark than in whole WC comp :68468287:

I'm just waiting for Yuzu to defy all expectations and shock us all. I have no idea how. But he will. It will either be shock followed by instant love, or shock followed by instant horror, followed by denial, followed by slow acceptance, followed by love. 

2 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

I love runrun's fan artwork and her designs are lovely but IMHO the award for the most gorgeous costume design goes too Coo( :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:!!! She developed her initial design adding more blings and golden details! Just beautiful! :tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw:

This is soooo stunning! It would be a dream if he wore something similar to this!

1 hour ago, OonsieHui said:

I'm just waiting for Yuzu to defy all expectations and shock us all. I have no idea how. But he will. It will either be shock followed by instant love, or shock followed by instant horror, followed by denial, followed by slow acceptance, followed by love. 

A waiter shirt and a waistcoat a'la Han Yan.

14 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

In the run up to Sochi - I think it was Finlandia- he was late for the press conference with Voronov and Gachinski - and a journalist asked about his costume and he said Johnny Weir had designed it and the other two exchanged knowing looks - he either didn’t notice or wasn’t bothered.  I don’t think it occurs to him to consider anything but his own aesthetic which is refreshing.  It’s on YouTube somewhere.

thanks for bringing this up. Somehow this was one of the videos I stumbled upon early on when I just found out about Yuzu, and I was very impressed by his response! The question really wasn't appropriate either imo, come on, if you aren't asking this to every Ladies skater who wears sparkles on her costume, there's no need to ask it at a Men's press conference either, or you're just doing it to provoke him -_-

And here is the video of this press con :)

7 hours ago, OonsieHui said:

Either way, the destination is love