3 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

I LOVE this! The red one would be insta-death for many fanyus including myself... :dpooh:

Oh, this place is great! I am so happy I joined! (Now I need to reed everything to catch up. But "you know... I must work hard...") :joy:

Bumping this up from @Lambaris post back in March in response to the questions arising in the media day thread about heteronormative attitudes towards men’s costumes.  Japanese don’t think like westerners on this point - good job too, or we’d have competitions totally full of Chan/Chen yawn making costumes.  Thank god for the Asians and East Europeans- though the EE do tend to veer towards nutcracker uniforms rather a lot, at least it’s colourful and shows some thought.

http://doramaticbites.tumblr.com/post/171551859613/to-the-japanese-hanyu-may-not-be-gnc

6 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Bumping this up from @Lambaris post back in March in response to the questions arising in the media day thread about heteronormative attitudes towards men’s costumes.  Japanese don’t think like westerners on this point - good job too, or we’d have competitions totally full of Chan/Chen yawn making costumes.  Thank god for the Asians and East Europeans- though the EE do tend to veer towards nutcracker uniforms rather a lot, at least it’s colourful and shows some thought.

http://doramaticbites.tumblr.com/post/171551859613/to-the-japanese-hanyu-may-not-be-gnc

I loved the article. It is very informative.

Personally, I never saw Yuzuru as feminine. I don't know how he does that, but I think he can make all his sparkly and fluffy costumes perfectly manly. I understand that some skaters see simplicity as "I am manly as hell" statement, but it is not necessarily true. It actually requires more spirit than just costume looks. 

Me neither - but I’m not a middle aged western male sports commentator/sports writer/pundit/ISU official - I’m the same age group as a lot of them though and I remember a lot of unpleasantness, from my childhood favourite John Curry through to the likes of Rudy Galindo and Johnny Weir.  Pretty costumes and lots of artistry means questions about masculinity etc etc etc, and that hasn’t disappeared, it’s just not out in the open anymore, and hopefully it will go when enough of them retire. :yawn: they need to get over themselves.  At least they don’t openly voice their prejudices these days

Ah yes, I brought this topic up in the media day because I noticed how some comments on both forums and SNS on how skaters can wear a shirt for their costumes and call it a day and I was like "Huh? How does it help them in telling their stories?" -- unless it is Jeff's For Forever, where the story is about teens. Elaborate costume will look out of place there.

Then reading @LadySnowblood comment on how FS is seen as more sport and not art and blings can diminish the effect of sport and in a way it seems reasonable. Not to say that I agree with such view, but it is reasonable nonetheless.   

When Johnny Weir was skating and winning competitions, I wasn't much interested in figure skating. We did not have anyone "strikingly special" in our country, so i was watching just small bits and pieces. One thing I remember though is Johnny. Or rather my impression of him from the very little I heard. I was convinced, he is not much talented and just a pretty "flower" lost on ice, where it has nothing to do. Now I've  actually watched some of his competitions and I was shocked by the lack of understanding I had before. From this experience I can tell that many people don't even care and just listen to all those commentaries instead of doing some research first. I will try not to judge blindly next time.

1 hour ago, 4Nessie said:

I loved the article. It is very informative.

Personally, I never saw Yuzuru as feminine. I don't know how he does that, but I think he can make all his sparkly and fluffy costumes perfectly manly. I understand that some skaters see simplicity as "I am manly as hell" statement, but it is not necessarily true. It actually requires more spirit than just costume looks. 

In my opinion, Yuzu's able to pull this off precisely because he's so manly. You never get the sense, watching him, that he is at all insecure about himself in this way, so the costumes work. 

As regards to other skaters: well I think it speaks volumes when, for some of them, their best costumes tend to happen with their exhibition programs. It means that they're trying to keep to some kind of 'rules' for the competition outfits - either written or unwritten. And you know, some skaters just look better in other stuff. For example, I've always thought that Chan's best skating outfit (can't call it a costume) was the hockey sweater and jeans he wore for 'Lovers in a Dangerous Time'. It just suited him and it made his skating seem so relaxed and open. But it wasn't a standard competition costume. 

Also, I'm going to point out here that Shoma isn't exactly a slouch in the frilly, glittery costume department either (though he's a lot more restrained with the frills - they're more like flutter or fringe). And it suits him beautifully, and he doesn't look girly at all. For that matter, most of the Japanese male skaters tend to be very well dressed on the ice - they seem to have taste.