Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, SeimeiOrigin said:

Ahhh. I have just opened the text book and now i am confused because there are THREE? types of alphabets to learn for Japanese?  Nope. I don't get it. I think i need a real life person to teach me. LOL

I know it's kinda overwhelming but when you learn one at a time it's not too bad. Try learning on the Human Japanese app it's free for awhile. It's what I used to learn for the first 7 months or so.  It's great! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Glory said:

I know it's kinda overwhelming but when you learn one at a time it's not too bad. Try learning on the Human Japanese app it's free for awhile. It's what I used to learn for the first 7 months or so.  It's great! 

Hi Glory. thanks for the tip. I will check it out. Maybe you could answer a burning question for me? please, thank you. 
In interviews I notice Yuzu (and others) often end a sentence with the sound “mus or ‘mas’’. Not the word, Gazaimas, but something else. What would that word ending mean, do you think?

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SeimeiOrigin said:

Hi Glory. thanks for the tip. I will check it out. Maybe you could answer a burning question for me? please, thank you. 
In interviews I notice Yuzu (and others) often end a sentence with the sound “mus or ‘mas’’. Not the word, Gazaimas, but something else. What would that word ending mean, do you think?

Thanks.

It's a polite verb ending. I’ve noticed he usually ends a sentence with omoimas which means "I think".  But any verb can end with Mas. You use this polite way in sentences when you are talking to people that aren't close friends or relatives. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SeimeiOrigin said:

Ahhh. I have just opened the text book and now i am confused because there are THREE? types of alphabets to learn for Japanese?  Nope. I don't get it. I think i need a real life person to teach me. LOL

 

This page helped me a lot https://realkana.com/

There is an app version but you have to pay for it

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2021 at 10:57 PM, SeimeiOrigin said:

Ahhh. I have just opened the text book and now i am confused because there are THREE? types of alphabets to learn for Japanese?  Nope. I don't get it. I think i need a real life person to teach me. LOL

Thankfully Hiragana and Katakana are pretty easy to master. If you practise writing, pronouncing and memorizing them with little flash cards you may even get them down within a week!

 

Kanji is a story of it's own though. :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:

Link to post
Share on other sites

The new Yuzu crumbs that we got made me really happy not only because we got to see Yuzu but also because I understood his message instantly and was able to read it without the assistance of any Hiragana. :tumblr_inline_mjgka6fYNw1qz4rgp:

 

 

I can feel my brain getting wrinkles, lol.

 

Still pretty worried about WTT though... :yznotimpressed:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2021 at 3:20 PM, hananistellata said:

The new Yuzu crumbs that we got made me really happy not only because we got to see Yuzu but also because I understood his message instantly and was able to read it without the assistance of any Hiragana. :tumblr_inline_mjgka6fYNw1qz4rgp:

 

 

I can feel my brain getting wrinkles, lol.

 

Still pretty worried about WTT though... :yznotimpressed:

I have so much trouble understanding Yuzuru. I don’t know why...maybe I'm distracted by his face

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Glory said:

I have so much trouble understanding Yuzuru. I don’t know why...maybe I'm distracted by his face

hahaha sometimes I read his interviews in Japanese on Sponichi's website and try to learn few kanji/vocab. I feel like he always connect sentences and never make pause like the sentences are just long and don't have dots lol So yea the only distracter is not his face but also his speech ability :7562096:

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tae Grane said:

hahaha sometimes I read his interviews in Japanese on Sponichi's website and try to learn few kanji/vocab. I feel like he always connect sentences and never make pause like the sentences are just long and don't have dots lol So yea the only distracter is not his face but also his speech ability :7562096:

True, he speaks really fast and in long sentences. I don't know if it's just me but sometimes it's as if he skips whole syllables when he speaks, maybe the words overlap in my head. At least a lot of interviews have Japanese subtitles at the bottom (or sometimes anywhere) of the screen so it's easier to understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The difficulty jump between Genki 2 and Tobira is no joke. I had to put Japanese on the back burner for a bit due to work, but after passing my boards I'm getting back in the study groove. The reading passages are so much longer! (And the print is small and my vision isn't great which can literally make studying a headache after a bit.)

 

Just gotta get through it, I guess. After Tobira apparently you can understand a lot of material produced for native speakers. Occasionally I'll get those glimmers of understanding where I can read and get the gist of things, or hear a phrase and can understand it, which is motivating. I still can never understand Yuzu though... his sentences are too complex!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, river said:

The difficulty jump between Genki 2 and Tobira is no joke. I had to put Japanese on the back burner for a bit due to work, but after passing my boards I'm getting back in the study groove. The reading passages are so much longer! (And the print is small and my vision isn't great which can literally make studying a headache after a bit.)

 

Just gotta get through it, I guess. After Tobira apparently you can understand a lot of material produced for native speakers. Occasionally I'll get those glimmers of understanding where I can read and get the gist of things, or hear a phrase and can understand it, which is motivating. I still can never understand Yuzu though... his sentences are too complex!

I heard Tobira is pretty effective so I am sure it is going to worth for your time and effort. Good luck!! :tumblr_inline_mto5i4jHv61qid2nw:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just realised my real Japanese learning enemy... onomatopoeia words. This is most likely just a personal thing but onomatopoeia words seem so much harder compared to any kanji I've ever learned. Each and every kanji is so different from one another and since I'm good with memorising learning kanji has never been a problem for me but onomatopoeia words... they are all so similar... and so many, and there are no hints as to what each word could mean while kanji gives us hints through radicals... this is a nightmare. :14066882:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 2:45 AM, hananistellata said:

I just realised my real Japanese learning enemy... onomatopoeia words. This is most likely just a personal thing but onomatopoeia words seem so much harder compared to any kanji I've ever learned. Each and every kanji is so different from one another and since I'm good with memorising learning kanji has never been a problem for me but onomatopoeia words... they are all so similar... and so many, and there are no hints as to what each word could mean while kanji gives us hints through radicals... this is a nightmare. :14066882:

Yeah there's so many but at least they're fun to say! ニコニコ ピカピカ グルグル

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! Sorry for interrupting but I've just found this video on YT and thought it was so interesting and funny that sometimes Japanese and English sounded very similar. I couldn't stop laughing as the girl in the video and wanted to post this just for fun :) For a little more explanations, 

 

Passport=パスポート

toritaindesu=取りたいんです=want to get

 

Passport toritaindesu=I want to get the passport. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...