Japanese study group

Hydroblade

The difficulty jump between Genki 2 and Tobira is no joke. I had to put Japanese on the back burner for a bit due to work, but after passing my boards I'm getting back in the study groove. The reading passages are so much longer! (And the print is small and my vision isn't great which can literally make studying a headache after a bit.)

Just gotta get through it, I guess. After Tobira apparently you can understand a lot of material produced for native speakers. Occasionally I'll get those glimmers of understanding where I can read and get the gist of things, or hear a phrase and can understand it, which is motivating. I still can never understand Yuzu though... his sentences are too complex!

2 hours ago, river said:

The difficulty jump between Genki 2 and Tobira is no joke. I had to put Japanese on the back burner for a bit due to work, but after passing my boards I'm getting back in the study groove. The reading passages are so much longer! (And the print is small and my vision isn't great which can literally make studying a headache after a bit.)

Just gotta get through it, I guess. After Tobira apparently you can understand a lot of material produced for native speakers. Occasionally I'll get those glimmers of understanding where I can read and get the gist of things, or hear a phrase and can understand it, which is motivating. I still can never understand Yuzu though... his sentences are too complex!

I heard Tobira is pretty effective so I am sure it is going to worth for your time and effort. Good luck!! :tumblr_inline_mto5i4jHv61qid2nw:

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 2:45 AM, hananistellata said:

I just realised my real Japanese learning enemy... onomatopoeia words. This is most likely just a personal thing but onomatopoeia words seem so much harder compared to any kanji I've ever learned. Each and every kanji is so different from one another and since I'm good with memorising learning kanji has never been a problem for me but onomatopoeia words... they are all so similar... and so many, and there are no hints as to what each word could mean while kanji gives us hints through radicals... this is a nightmare. :14066882:

Yeah there's so many but at least they're fun to say! ニコニコ ピカピカ グルグル

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! Sorry for interrupting but I've just found this video on YT and thought it was so interesting and funny that sometimes Japanese and English sounded very similar. I couldn't stop laughing as the girl in the video and wanted to post this just for fun :) For a little more explanations, 

Passport=パスポート

toritaindesu=取りたいんです=want to get

Passport toritaindesu=I want to get the passport. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2021 at 7:50 AM, hananistellata said:

It's been months yet I still confuse 持つ and 待つ with eachother, they are like twins... :13877886:

I still switch 読む and 飲む when I’m reading and not paying enough attention for some reason. They don’t even look alike… :consoling2:

On 6/10/2021 at 3:50 PM, hananistellata said:

It's been months yet I still confuse 持つ and 待つ with eachother, they are like twins... :13877886:

I read this as "I still confuse もつ and もつ.." and I was like "what.." then I realised I confused too :'DD Kanjis are difficult to recognise on pc I guess since they are a lot smaller than textbooks/apps. 

If it is gonna help 待つ has 
彳of 行くso "to go and wait at somewhere" maybe helps you to remember

On 4/4/2021 at 9:15 AM, hananistellata said:

Thankfully Hiragana and Katakana are pretty easy to master. If you practise writing, pronouncing and memorizing them with little flash cards you may even get them down within a week!

Kanji is a story of it's own though. :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:

Yeah my teacher told me if you were a Chinese, you could easily master Kanji , unlucky i'm not chinese :grimacing:

On 4/1/2021 at 2:57 AM, SeimeiOrigin said:

Ahhh. I have just opened the text book and now i am confused because there are THREE? types of alphabets to learn for Japanese?  Nope. I don't get it. I think i need a real life person to teach me. LOL

Me too... i want to understand what yuzu say in japanese but...:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

8 hours ago, nyanyumeowyuru said:

Me too... i want to understand what yuzu say in japanese but...:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

I am using Human Japanese app and Hiragana Memorizer app. It's very slow as i have been slack in devoting time to this but these two apps are really helping me. I have now memorised the first four rows of Hiragana :)

On 5/22/2017 at 11:06 AM, Murieleirum said:

Aaaah it must be wonderful to have it on, though! How interesting, I don't think there's a single japanese school here in Italy. Or at least, in Rome. I know there's a Chinese school, but Japanese ain't that popular. 

Well, I'll just start off by quickly sharing my history with Japanese, and I would love to hear other people's stories as well!

Basically, I've been wanting to learn it since elementary school, when anime would be the only time I could spend having fun with my bigger sister, and we would watch them with English subtitles. I started learning Hiragana and Katakana, but would drop the studying because I couldn't take lessons, nor I knew anyone to help me, nor I could get any books anywhere. I re-started studying in my second year of high school, this time a little more serious. I downloaded Genki, an Integrated course in Elementary Japanese (and this is still the book I'm using now). But I had to stop after 3-4 months because I didn't have the motivation to study something like a third language alone while also studying for the musical high school. I was very chaotic and uncertain in my passions. I went from studying Arabic alphabet to study Braille to study Korean to study how to count in as many languages as I could remember (went up to 63, made a video on youtube, and from there I started forgetting).
Last year in August realized I wasn't able to be constant in my study because I was scared and I would discourage myself and, well, basically, mental illness would get in the way. Luckily, things started getting better around January, so it's been officially 5 months that I've been studying constantly by myself, and next year in September I'll start studying it officially with University.

As for the means of study: I have a book with all of the N5 kanji (that I haven't used much tho), I am halfway through Genki (I have almost finished the first book of grammar, though I have to do all the reviews of all the past lessons, and that's gonna take a while xD), and I have discovered the magical world of Wanikani. If you don't know what it is, oh my god, google it. It's the best memorizing kanji/vocabulary/radicals system I've ever come across. It costs very little after level 3 (which is where I'm at), but unfortunately I've been waiting to buy it, because of money shortage.
Similar to wanikani I've tried Anki, wth japanese deck cards, but I'd rather stick to wanikani.

I'm probably gonna fill this thread up whenever I need help for correcting my exercises. I apologize in advance (lol). 

Thank you for reading through all of this trash! :img_21:

these are very good suggestions.

grazie