Jump to content

Japanese study group


Recommended Posts

Is anyone here planning to take the JLPT in December? I'm trying to decide what level to register for. I'm pretty sure I could walk in and pass N5 today. So that's a sure bet, but there are 5.5 months to go, so I think I might shoot for N4 as a difficult but achievable target by the end of the year. It's not like anyone's going to be that excited by an N5 or N4 certificate on my resume, so who cares if I pass? It's more of a benchmark for progress at this level anyway.

 

Conveniently, the December date is the weekend between NHK and the GPF, so no worries about getting too distracted by skating during the test! :68468287:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, river said:

Conveniently, the December date is the weekend between NHK and the GPF, so no worries about getting too distracted by skating during the test! :68468287:

 

Are you sure about that... :dancingpooh:

 

Uh, you reminded me that I wanted to do the JLPT this year but totally forgot to send the request in time. 

 

I would really like to do the N2... but that means studying grammar seriously and I am so bad at it lol... :headdesk: After my 1-month trip to Japan this year, and my discovery that I could indeed talk with Japanese people about everyday stuff with no problem, I got so lazy about pushing my limits with grammar and vocabulary... plus I've been distracted by Chinese class which required more concentration from my part. 

But maybe I should just enroll for N2 and be done with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Murieleirum Oh man, N2....good luck if you decide to go for it!

It seems that for the study abroad program I want to do I'll need an N2 which means that with deadlines and the test only being offered once a year in the summer here I'm looking at trying to go from (maybe) N4ish to N2 in just about a year... kill me :13877886:

I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try at least, whether it's actually doable or not :war:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

@Murieleirum Oh man, N2....good luck if you decide to go for it!

It seems that for the study abroad program I want to do I'll need an N2 which means that with deadlines and the test only being offered once a year in the summer here I'm looking at trying to go from (maybe) N4ish to N2 in just about a year... kill me :13877886:

I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try at least, whether it's actually doable or not :war:

 

Tbh the passage is pretty fluent, I mean, it's not such a big leap, it's just vocabulary and grammar and familiarity... I don't even know when exactly I got to a point where I could read N2 tests and say 'Yeah, I could give it a try if I studied a little bit', when actually I never felt sure about my own Japanese. I think there were just a hell lot of Yuzuru interviews, tv series, movies and kanjis in between.

 

This is to say that if you were to ask me I would say do it!!! You can do it if you have the motivation for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

 

Tbh the passage is pretty fluent, I mean, it's not such a big leap, it's just vocabulary and grammar and familiarity... I don't even know when exactly I got to a point where I could read N2 tests and say 'Yeah, I could give it a try if I studied a little bit', when actually I never felt sure about my own Japanese. I think there were just a hell lot of Yuzuru interviews, tv series, movies and kanjis in between.

 

This is to say that if you were to ask me I would say do it!!! You can do it if you have the motivation for it.

Oh, I'll definitely give it a try. If nothing else there's the chance of passing on random multiple choice luck alone and it is "only" 60 bucks :embSwan:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:

I have a kanji test tomorrow and I keep mixing up signs..

What will give out first my hand or my brain?:10640793:

 

Good luck! :68271401:

 

How many are you supposed to know?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2019 at 1:50 AM, river said:

Is anyone here planning to take the JLPT in December? I'm trying to decide what level to register for. I'm pretty sure I could walk in and pass N5 today. So that's a sure bet, but there are 5.5 months to go, so I think I might shoot for N4 as a difficult but achievable target by the end of the year. It's not like anyone's going to be that excited by an N5 or N4 certificate on my resume, so who cares if I pass? It's more of a benchmark for progress at this level anyway.

 

Conveniently, the December date is the weekend between NHK and the GPF, so no worries about getting too distracted by skating during the test! :68468287:

 

I am. But your teacher must be able to tell you better than anyone here what level you should choose. If you have a teacher that is. A lot depends on how much you're exposed to Japanese outside classes. You sound very confident so I'd say go for it and apply for N4. If you want to increase your chances, there are likely courses that prepare students specifically for N5 and N4. At least there are some in Europe, IDK about the US. I'd register without hesitation because my listenings are a tragedy, but I'm on a tight budget right now so I'll have to manage to prepare on my own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

800 technically, about 200 were on the test and I'm pretty sure I got all but 3 right so yay :dancingpooh:

 

Great! 800 is quite a lot. I am basically still at 150. Way to go... :68468287: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 11/1/2019 at 1:32 AM, river said:

I didn't do any Wanikani reviews while at Skate Canada and came back to 800+ sitting in the queue. I did something similar (but not as bad because the event was shorter) at ACI. Why do I do this to myself??? :headdesk:

 

Dude... dude... I feel your pain. 

 

(Stuck at +1000 reviews since basically I started my new job and I don't have energy to study every day anymore)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 1:32 AM, river said:

I didn't do any Wanikani reviews while at Skate Canada and came back to 800+ sitting in the queue. I did something similar (but not as bad because the event was shorter) at ACI. Why do I do this to myself??? :headdesk:

 

On 11/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, Murieleirum said:

 

Dude... dude... I feel your pain. 

 

(Stuck at +1000 reviews since basically I started my new job and I don't have energy to study every day anymore)

 

Guys, I need to thank you! Really!!! You are amazing! :7938863:

 

I didn't know about Wanikani before, so I had to check it out after your posts. That website is AMAZING!!! Those crazy mnemonics are the right method for me and after few days I've learned much more than after a year of Japanese classes. I don't have much will to find and learn new vocabulary alone, so I was a bit lost in my progress, but mnemonics are making everything so much easier and so much fun! I am still at the second level, so I know, it will get difficult really quick, but even so I am learning tons of stuff every day.

 

Thanks for the tip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2019 at 11:57 AM, 4Nessie said:

 

 

Guys, I need to thank you! Really!!! You are amazing! :7938863:

 

I didn't know about Wanikani before, so I had to check it out after your posts. That website is AMAZING!!! Those crazy mnemonics are the right method for me and after few days I've learned much more than after a year of Japanese classes. I don't have much will to find and learn new vocabulary alone, so I was a bit lost in my progress, but mnemonics are making everything so much easier and so much fun! I am still at the second level, so I know, it will get difficult really quick, but even so I am learning tons of stuff every day.

 

Thanks for the tip.

 

Wanikani is amazing for picking up vocabulary. I highly recommend adding in some userscripts to make it more user-friendly: Wanikani Open Framework is necessary to run any scripts. Wanikani Override will let you mark an answer for later review if you've made a typo, so you don't have the frustration of making a typo in Japanese input (which has zero room for error built in) that keeps you from being able to burn an item.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...