Japanese study group

Hydroblade

11 hours ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Like for example, the son of a friend of mine, who absolutely, and I mean: ABSOLUTELY, hated English at school became fluent very quickly after his parents allowed him to join one international multiplayer game of his choice. (From a bunch I reviewed for them.) The only problem later was that one time he got summoned to the principal's office in high school for telling his English teacher, "real people don't talk like in your stupid books!"

You know, I actually think that the books aren't the problem per se, it's the lessons that are boring and out of touch with reality. Books are just objects filled with information, and the information is correct... but it doesn't correspond to real life face-to-face talking with a native. This is why a lot of schools in Italy, for example, have English mothertongue teachers. In that way, you can try to fill the gap between class lessons and real life interaction.

Although, I definitely agree that people in multiplayer videogames online don't talk like example conversations in Grammar books. That's definitely true :rofl:

On 31. 5. 2017 at 11:36, Murieleirum said:

You know, I actually think that the books aren't the problem per se, it's the lessons that are boring and out of touch with reality. Books are just objects filled with information, and the information is correct... [...]

I am not so sure. Language evolves quickly and that means textbooks need to get updated just as quickly if they want to keep up with the reality. If a class uses outdated books, there's a problem unless the teacher explains what isn't used anymore and points out the new expressions. That's especially important for classes that don't prepare for exams or business correspondence and such. If one wants to learn a language for conversation/travelling purposes, they need to have an open mind and absorb changes and deviations from the norm.

Which is easier said than done though, which is why I am lurking in my relatively safe territory of elementary vocab building when it comes to Japanese. :smiley-scared003:

Hehehe, adbaisu purizu part. 2.

How can I say "Why don't you want to see that movie?"

I know "I want to" is: verb stem + たい

And I know that "It seems like (they) want to" is: verb stem + たがっている。

So should it be something like this?

どうしてそのえいがを見たがっていらないの。 or

どうしてそのえいがを見たくながっているの。Following Hydro's teacher's rule, this should be wrong, because the helping verb should be conjugated in the negative, and not the 見る verb, right?

Or, could this also be it? Less strict, more 'sounds like it' to me: どうしてそのえいがを見たくないの。

(just for context, I am STILL studying んです and んだ , but ending the phrase with those or の at this point is the same for me, for learning)

26 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

どうしてそのえいがを見たがっていらないの。 or

どうしてそのえいがを見たくながっているの。Following Hydro's teacher's rule, this should be wrong, because the helping verb should be conjugated in the negative, and not the 見る verb, right?

Or, could this also be it? Less strict, more 'sounds like it' to me: どうしてそのえいがを見たくないの。

(just for context, I am STILL studying んです and んだ , but ending the phrase with those or の at this point is the same for me, for learning)

Idk if it's right I would just ask 「どうしてその映画が観たくないの?」(か?…idk i just wrote it like I would ask...) I'll ask my teacher at the end of the lesson tho :D (currently in class lol)

10 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

どうしてそのえいがを見たがっていらないの。 or

I don't know if the last is correct according to some arcane grammatical mind boggling structures, what I can tell you is that it is what's used colloquially among friends.

If you'd want to make it a little more formal, it would be どうしてこの映画を観たくないのですか。

Comments on a small thing, the kanji for watching a movie and or so is 観, not 見 - I can't think of any obvious English equivalent, the difference is between actively watching, paying attention to it, vs simply seeing something.

2 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

I don't know if the last is correct according to some arcane grammatical mind boggling structures, what I can tell you is that it is what's used colloquially among friends.

If you'd want to make it a little more formal, it would be どうしてこの映画を観たくないのですか。

Comments on a small thing, the kanji for watching a movie and or so is 観, not 見 - I can't think of any obvious English equivalent, the difference is between actively watching, paying attention to it, vs simply seeing something.

Thank you for that explanation on the kanji! (I'll correct it) I've found it a lot of times but I haven't found an explanation of the difference :D

1 minute ago, Hydroblade said:

Thank you for that explanation on the kanji! (I'll correct it) I've found it a lot of times but I haven't found an explanation of the difference :D

It's one of those "one of those things" things that are so natural to native speakers that they are baffled, when someone asks, how to explain it, that drives foreign students crazy, from what I've seen over and over. ^^;

2 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

It's one of those "one of those things" things that are so natural to native speakers that they are baffled, when someone asks, how to explain it, that drives foreign students crazy, from what I've seen over and over. ^^;

Thanks to you explanation I don't think I'll have any problems with it from now on :)

1 hour ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Wow, Genki so far didn't make the difference at all. But it's also true that they don't quite push you to study many Kanji - Genki is more of a speech-focused book. Thank you for the correction - so it seems that you can use -たい for other people's wishes after all.

10 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Wow, Genki so far didn't make the difference at all. But it's also true that they don't quite push you to study many Kanji - Genki is more of a speech-focused book. Thank you for the correction - so it seems that you can use -たい for other people's wishes after all.

First time i found that kanji was while talking to a japanese on twitter. They used that same kanji to say "to watch yuzu's performance"

1 minute ago, Hydroblade said:

First time i found that kanji was while talking to a japanese on twitter. They used that same kanji to say "to watch yuzu's performance"

Ah, I see! Makes sense. 

Now I am imagining a Japanese Learning Book with the title "Learn Japanese with Hanyu-senshu" :rofl:

Btw, I have become addicted to Terrace House. And it's awfully useful for colloquial Japanese. Yay! 

Hello!

I happened to find this thread!!  :D

I am a Japanese, but I'll bookmark this thread for my English study!!

Talking about the sentence "Why don't you want to see that movie?", it's a bit difficult case, because usually Japanese is not so demanding in asking the reason (s)he doesn't want to see that movie.

But if one should say this, it might be:

その映画にあまり興味はないのですか?

(Are you not so much interested in that movie?)

Japanese people tend to evade the "demanding" or "straightforward" situation and ask from a different angle. :68556365:

27 minutes ago, sister555 said:

Hello!

I happened to find this thread!!  :D

I am a Japanese, but I'll bookmark this thread for my English study!!

Talking about the sentence "Why don't you want to see that movie?", it's a bit difficult case, because usually Japanese is not so demanding in asking the reason (s)he doesn't want to see that movie.

But if one should say this, it might be:

その映画にあまり興味はないのですか?

(Are you not so much interested in that movie?)

Japanese people tend to evade the "demanding" or "straightforward" situation and ask from a different angle. :68556365:

Another reason why i love this language so much. When i speak spanish i'm the same unless i am extremely familiar with the person i'm talking to :sadPooh: 

2 分ぐらい, Hydroblade said:

Another reason why i love this language so much. When i speak spanish i'm the same unless i am extremely familiar with the person i'm talking to :sadPooh: 

This is another reason you don't so much look like a Mexican!!  ;D

7 minutes ago, sister555 said:

This is another reason you don't so much look like a Mexican!!  ;D

I think the biggest reason why people have doubted about me being a mexican is that i don't like spicy food :Poohgaveup: