Japanese study group

Hydroblade

Just now, Hydroblade said:

:sadPooh: 

Its seriously hurts. Not physically of course, but pretty much like nails on blackboard, if that example is still understood.

Actually, one of the non skating things I love about Yuzu is how he talks, in a style that is rather traditional, maybe even old fashioned, but also elegant.

If not necessarily easy to translate. :rofl:

2 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Its seriously hurts. Not physically of course, but pretty much like nails on blackboard, if that example is still understood.

Actually, one of the non skating things I love about Yuzu is how he talks, in a style that is rather traditional, maybe even old fashioned, but also elegant.

If not necessarily easy to translate. :rofl:

The way he talks is what made me sign up for classes. That reignited my love for the language, i've always thought that it's a beautiful language but when i heard him speak... :embSwan:

5 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Yaru (遣る) is one of the first verbs I found in the book ( to do; to undertake; to perform; to play (a game); to study), I knew it was colloquial but there was no hint in the book that it was males only xD Damn book. But すべる... you mean 滑る? 

1. to glide; to slide (e.g. on skis); to slip

2. to fail (an examination); to bomb (when telling a joke)

3. to drop; to go down; to come down; to fall (e.g. in status)

I don't understand how this verb would mean "The skater who does perfect performances" :confused:

As for the kampekina, you're right, my mistake xD I know it's a na-adjective but I never remember when it needs the -na and when it doesn't.(sorry, I don't have japanese keyboard on the work computer)

No need to be sorry, re keyboard. :)

As for the various meanings of suberu - and that's the correct kanji - as most things in Japanese, the meaning depends on context. As sliding is a motion that due to physics mostly goes down, the meanings are mostly negative, but they can also be value neutral like in skating, aka moving on a slippery surface.

And if you think suberu has a lot of different meanings, there's lot of worse...^^;

Lastly, regarding the "does perfect performances," Japanese doesn't use "does" the way English does.

Again, I don't know how to explain this well - until I encountered this thread I rarely even thought about things like this LOL - but among all the ambiguity of the language, there is a tendency to use verbs precisely in their meaning (as appropriate in context), maybe because so much in a Japanese sentence depends on the last verb being understood correctly.

In this case I think the - never thought about - rationale behind the use of suberu would be that what a skater does is sliding, therefore that's the verb to use.

Which I think makes sense, internally.

12 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

The way he talks is what made me sign up for classes. That reignited my love for the language, i've always thought that it's a beautiful language but when i heard him speak... :embSwan:

The way he talks - including how polite he is - makes me want to make Asahi or Fuji give him his own TV show - like way back when when SmaxSma came into being to promote cooking skills among younger people - to promote developing language skills and all that comes with that to young people. To promote other things he stands for, as well. And pardon that that is completely off topic.

The way he talks - including how polite he is - makes me want to make Asahi or Fuji give him his own TV show - like way back when when SmaxSma came into being to promote cooking skills among younger people - to promote developing language skills and all that comes with that to young people. To promote other things he stands for, as well. And pardon that that is completely off topic.

A talk show where he explains the technical side of figure skating omg... :sadPooh: 

No need to be sorry, re keyboard. :)

As for the various meanings of suberu - and that's the correct kanji - as most things in Japanese, the meaning depends on context. As sliding is a motion that due to physics mostly goes down, the meanings are mostly negative, but they can also be value neutral like in skating, aka moving on a slippery surface.

And if you think suberu has a lot of different meanings, there's lot of worse...^^;

Lastly, regarding the "does perfect performances," Japanese doesn't use "does" the way English does.

Again, I don't know how to explain this well - until I encountered this thread I rarely even thought about things like this LOL - but among all the ambiguity of the language, there is a tendency to use verbs precisely in their meaning (as appropriate in context), maybe because so much in a Japanese sentence depends on the last verb being understood correctly.

In this case I think the - never thought about - rationale behind the use of suberu would be that what a skater does is sliding, therefore that's the verb to use.

Which I think makes sense, internally.

Ah, interesting, thank you for explaining.

I'm not familiar with suberu, but I'll add it to the list of 'verbs that could mean a hundred different things', together with 'dekiru', and 'dasu', and etc etc :rofl: Honestly, neither in my mothertongue we use 'to do' like English people do (LOL sorry for the tonguetwister), so I understand how Japanese people prefer more 'specific' verbs in this case. 

Oh, wait, now that I think about it, we would use 'to skate a perfect program', so I guess that it would work same way as Japanese, since skating is basically gliding. I got trolled by English translation. 

1 minute ago, Hydroblade said:

A talk show where he explains the technical side of figure skating omg... :sadPooh: 

I think that's a bit too abstract a topic for the general public. :rofl:

But he COULD do a piece - the candy piece ;) - somewhere explaining, and demonstrating, all his various moves, one at a time...

Summer and Winter Season Special, he'd do stuff in his skating outfits... (I'd seriously would have to wangle a job as some kind of advisor...)

Though I think they'd have to have him do the show on skates, since normal flooring and him aren't always friends. ;)

1 minute ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

I think that's a bit too abstract a topic for the general public. :rofl:

But he COULD do a piece - the candy piece ;) - somewhere explaining, and demonstrating, all his various moves, one at a time...

Summer and Winter Season Special, he'd do stuff in his skating outfits... (I'd seriously would have to wangle a job as some kind of advisor...)

Though I think they'd have to have him do the show on skates, since normal flooring and him aren't always friends. ;)

Does it matter :P? It will break all audience records anyway! And i like him when he talks about things he's passionate about <3

6 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Ah, interesting, thank you for explaining.

I'm not familiar with suberu, but I'll add it to the list of 'verbs that could mean a hundred different things', together with 'dekiru', and 'dasu', and etc etc :rofl: Honestly, neither in my mothertongue we use 'to do' like English people do (LOL sorry for the tonguetwister), so I understand how Japanese people prefer more 'specific' verbs in this case. 

Oh, wait, now that I think about it, we would use 'to skate a perfect program', so I guess that it would work same way as Japanese, since skating is basically gliding. I got trolled by English translation. 

May I ask what your mothertongue is? :)

ageru would be another verb to add to that; others of course elude me now that I wish I could give samples.

Also, do you know that - to the best of my knowledge - Japanese is the only language in the world in which the same word can mean both yes and no? Of course not a direct yes or no as in English, but still. As well as having another commonly used expression that can mean to complete opposite, depending?

It's kind of funny, once you understand how it works.

5 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Does it matter :P? It will break all audience records anyway! And i like him when he talks about things he's passionate about <3

Some of it should be understandable. ;)

But I guess for that they could also get him to talk about games.

I draw the line at earphones. :13877886:

But he could also have a corner for foreign language appreciation, bringing over native speakers to support him. Like some certain Senor Fernandez, for example...

Just now, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Some of it should be understandable. ;)

But I guess for that they could also get him to talk about games.

I draw the line at earphones. :13877886:

But he could also have a corner for foreign language appreciation, bringing over native speakers to support him. Like some certain Senor Fernandez, for example...

Can i take Javi's place? Mexican spanish doesn't have dental fricatives, it would be easier :D

4 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Can i take Javi's place? Mexican spanish doesn't have dental fricatives, it would be easier :D

No, you can't take Javi's place because Japanese would want authentic Spanish Spanish - and what are dental fricatives? @_@ - but if I could get the job as special advisor I'd definitely advocate hiring local variance assistants.

Just don't step between the two. ;)

13 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

No, you can't take Javi's place because Japanese would want authentic Spanish Spanish - and what are dental fricatives? @_@ - but if I could get the job as special advisor I'd definitely advocate hiring local variance assistants.

Just don't step between the two. ;)

The z and c sounds in european spanish :P Like the th sounds in english. 

23 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

May I ask what your mothertongue is? :)

ageru would be another verb to add to that; others of course elude me now that I wish I could give samples.

Also, do you know that - to the best of my knowledge - Japanese is the only language in the world in which the same word can mean both yes and no? Of course not a direct yes or no as in English, but still. As well as having another commonly used expression that can mean to complete opposite, depending?

It's kind of funny, once you understand how it works.

Italian!

Oooh true true, ageru has already got me pretty perplexed more than a couple of times hahaha!

I didn't know that and I find it pretty funny as well, but somehow I'm not surprised :rofl:

Okay, since I'm at work waiting on a client and studying with my book, I'm just gonna throw a very specific question: I am studying the helping verb 'sugiru' to say 'too much', 'to an excess', and I'm trying to understand how to say 'You are studying too much'. It's written here that sugiru conjugates as a normal -ru verb, and follows the verb stems (so the part before masu). ((I'm just explaining so I give a sense to my reasoning, not because I think you need it ofc)). But how do I give a sense of continuity? anata wa benkyoushisugiteimasu? anata wa benkyousugiteimasu? Somehow they don't sound right?? 

(problems of not having any Japanese friends and/or teachers xD)

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Italian!

Oooh true true, ageru has already got me pretty perplexed more than a couple of times hahaha!

I didn't know that and I find it pretty funny as well, but somehow I'm not surprised :rofl:

Okay, since I'm at work waiting on a client and studying with my book, I'm just gonna throw a very specific question: I am studying the helping verb 'sugiru' to say 'too much', 'to an excess', and I'm trying to understand how to say 'You are studying too much'. It's written here that sugiru conjugates as a normal -ru verb, and follows the verb stems (so the part before masu). ((I'm just explaining so I give a sense to my reasoning, not because I think you need it ofc)). But how do I give a sense of continuity? anata wa benkyoushisugiteimasu? anata wa benkyousugiteimasu? Somehow they don't sound right?? 

(problems of not having any Japanese friends and/or teachers xD)

i think that one is definitely not the one you're looking for because the shi comes from "-suru"? The second one sounds better to me...

ETA: This is another thing i remember, my teacher said that auxiliar verbs are the ones that get conjugated, like motteiku<- iku is the one you conjugate