Japanese study group

Hydroblade

1 minute ago, Hydroblade said:

This is the one i use. It took me like a week to get used to it but it's awfully convenient :biggrin: and i've seen some videos where japanese are typing on their phones and they use a similar keyboard so hey, it's native approved :P

And no :P born, raised and currently living in Mexico. I've been studying japanese for a long time now, even though i started formal lessons just last year:13877886:

Wow. I recommend watching J dramas for casual daily language learning. They helped alot. Yuzuru's koi dance came from this Japanese drama that I didn't watch, which is apparently really good. I forgot the title though

6 minutes ago, Shawnmendesluv said:

Wow. I recommend watching J dramas for casual daily language learning. They helped alot. Yuzuru's koi dance came from this Japanese drama that I didn't watch, which is apparently really good. I forgot the title though

Nigeru ha haji da ga yaku ni tatsu:rofl: i watched it and it was entertaining.

I agree it helps, i just have to be careful not to end up imitating the characters instead of talking in my own way:headdesk2:

Plus, there are a lot of entertaining dramas :P

48 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

It's way easier to speak than it is to write so yeah, i think it's normal :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

It's totally the opposite for me :english1: I mean, I can write a decent, almost pretty looking message in Japanese thanks to Jisho and having more time to check with the brain that everything is correct; but when you are speaking, you are improvising on the moment... actually, my goal with Japanese is speaking fluently and beautifuly first and foremost - writing is secondary to me, as long as I don't have to write polite letters, resume's in Japanese, and stuff like that xD 

I also think it's easier to read than it is to listen... but maybe this is biased, because I've been studying kanji way more than I've been studying listening and speaking. 

I have a question, how does one translate constructions such as "I have always [verb]"? I tried to write "... but unfortunately, I've always been nervous /I've always suffered from stage fright" in my homework, but it looks like there's no way to say it literally? I wrote "itsumo, kinchou shite shimaimasu", but sensei suggested I use "ima mo, kinchou shite shimaimasu". Is there no way I can use 'always', not even if, say, I use 'aru' instead of 'suru'?

5 hours ago, surimi said:

I have a question, how does one translate constructions such as "I have always [verb]"? I tried to write "... but unfortunately, I've always been nervous /I've always suffered from stage fright" in my homework, but it looks like there's no way to say it literally? I wrote "itsumo, kinchou shite shimaimasu", but sensei suggested I use "ima mo, kinchou shite shimaimasu". Is there no way I can use 'always', not even if, say, I use 'aru' instead of 'suru'?

I'd maybe say it like this: 今までいつも舞台負け(ぶたいまけ)ことがすごく/極めてありました。

舞台負け specifically means stage fright (thanks Jisho), there is also あがり症 (which is used for social anxiety disorder). Something more generic might be 演技のついて、いつも緊張することがありました.

I don't think this form is the most suitable, but it's how I'd say it based on my current Japanese knowledge c: I wish I could ask my Japanese teachers about Japanese too, but there's no such thing as student-teacher relationship here in my uni. Dang. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jisho is a blessing!

Personally, I find it easier to listen than to read but easier to write than to speak (for the same reasons @Murieleirum listed)

It feels like I'm taking one step forward then two steps back sometimes with trying to learn Japanese..  So many times I'll see a Kanji or hear a word and think "I know I've learned this before" but can't figure it out for the life of me. Maybe I'm just not consistent enough :10640793:

4 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

Jisho is a blessing!

Personally, I find it easier to listen than to read but easier to write than to speak (for the same reasons @Murieleirum listed)

It feels like I'm taking one step forward then two steps back sometimes with trying to learn Japanese..  So many times I'll see a Kanji or hear a word and think "I know I've learned this before" but can't figure it out for the life of me. Maybe I'm just not consistent enough :10640793:

I guess it's standard language learning frustration! Sometimes you hear a long phrase and understand everything and feel like 'fuck yeah I am GOOD at this language!' and the next phrase you lose yourself after the third word and feel like you threw two years of studying away :laughing:

19 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I guess it's standard language learning frustration! Sometimes you hear a long phrase and understand everything and feel like 'fuck yeah I am GOOD at this language!' and the next phrase you lose yourself after the third word and feel like you threw two years of studying away :laughing:

at this point, I'll just be happy if I ever make it to an intermediary level :13877886:

where do you guys watch your jdramas and stuff? I feel like I probably need to immerse myself more as well 

1 hour ago, axelnojutsu said:

at this point, I'll just be happy if I ever make it to an intermediary level :13877886:

where do you guys watch your jdramas and stuff? I feel like I probably need to immerse myself more as well 

Netflix has a lot. I am currently not watching anything because of work and university exams. Also, the usual watchanime and koreandrama has nice things. 

I think I will stay in this first-intermediary 'limbo' (in between) until I go to Japan next year and stay there for a little. I think the only way to do the 'jump' is through total submersion, so somehow you either create your own routine, wherever you are, that allows you to practice practice practice... or you force yourself to do it by going there directly. 

Hi guys 😂 uhm have fun on studying にほんご!

Well I just wanna recomend you the app “Japanese” for ios users. That is definetely the app to learn most of Japanese you know like Hiragana, Katakana, Kanji (our very enemy jk hehe) and to expland your vocabulary! Yay that’s all! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lunna said:

My teacher recommended a news site which can be used for simple grammar practice https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/

Though I must admit I need to check myself from google translate cuz it's still hard for me to translate a sentence even if I know all the words, getting lost from what end to start :idk:

Hooray for furigana! So I can read it (but still not  understand what i'm reading. LOL)

:headdesk:

OK, I have a question about 'oku' (in kana & with Te form): so far both of my textbooks and jisho agree it's used to describe preparation. However, my teacher suggests it rather indicates a promise given to someone that we'd do the thing we speak of. I don't doubt his words, but has anyone else's teacher used this definition rather than the one in the books?

On 6/8/2018 at 5:06 PM, Lunna said:

My teacher recommended a news site which can be used for simple grammar practice https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/

Though I must admit I need to check myself from google translate cuz it's still hard for me to translate a sentence even if I know all the words, getting lost from what end to start :idk:

Thanks for the link, I think I'll go and check it. Just curious, do you get good results when you use Google translate? Because eventhough I'm also a speaker of a Slavic language, whenever I try to use google translate I get incredible nonsense. Granted, I only use it to read FS related blog posts and articles which are definitely not normal vocabulary, but still. It's an incomprehensible mess.