Japanese study group

Hydroblade

• 3 weeks later...
On 2. 3. 2018 at 6:12 PM, Hanmgse said:

Hi guys! thought I may joing this thread since I just started my japanese classes about almost three weeks ago, so far I have just learned hiragana and katakana but I'm still struggling since there are a lot :13877886: (can't imagine when I start with kanji), anyway, looking forward to learning more!!.

Please do share your progress, I'm happy I'm not the only newbie among the professors here. :P

I found out that translating skating articles is doing wonders for me recognizing kanji. Of course, the vocab I recognize is limited - 'kega', 'suberu', 'zenjitsu' , 'hyoujou' and such - but it's a progress.

Ok, really here to ask a vital question-  where do I find skating terminology in Japanese? It's not something I can find on jisho org. I'm about to write a short text in Japanese, but I need to know words such as 'skating skills' and 'posture', and while my sensei will kindly help me translate, I'm not sure I can trust him with the specific skating terms. Should I just post in the Japanese thread in this forum?

Hi Minna san! I guess this is a good place to put some of my Japanese progress. For the Olympics kiches and I were on tv a lot so I got to speak a bit of Japanese to the media:

This first one one documented us and I spoke quite a bit but they mostly narrated everything for us. The second one was really brief and they caught me going on, then the third one I spoke a little about my poster.  My friend that helped with the right kanji was our very own @hamaguri . I wasn't subtitled so I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing :english1:

On 1/3/2018 at 5:00 AM, kaeryth said:

Hey guys! I'm doing a thing where I try to compile Yuzu's documentaries/news fluff/interviews.

I've been using the power of google to translate the title of the program but some word structures don't make sense......

Can anyone translate this for me?

1. 銀盤の王子争い・ライバル対決!

2. 期待の天才スケーター ”大技”を訓練中!

3. 世界ではばたけ!ミラクルティーン

4. 世界ジュニアチャンピオンを直撃

I can try to give you my guess on those, as you say - and as it happens often to many titles of articles or advertisement slogans bc they just have to cram words into such short phrases - grammatical structure is difficult to identify... I understand all the titles but it's difficult to make an accurate translation - my english fails me here, I lack so much in vocabulary :facepalm:  

1. Battle of the ice princes - showdown between the rivals/fight of the rivals

(so I guess it's an event where Yuzu is against one of his rivals)

2. Anticipated/Promising prodigy skater training a powerful move/technique

(so, news about yuzu foreseen as an upcoming star,  training a "big move" = 3A)

3. Fly into the world! Miracle teens 

(I was guessing it was maybe before one of his first international competition - ok, saw it's an interview to yuzu and kanako going into jwc, coherent - so it's like a good luck title hoping that these phenomenal kids will fulfill themselves at worlds)

4. Direct interview to the junior world champion

(that one was the easiest) 

Well, not sure if that really helps, it's such a literal translation that I'm not sure it's more comprehensible than what you could get on an automatic translator.. the difference would be that you can always ask me questions :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:

4 hours ago, Deliverpooh said:

I know that if you put 々 to the right of another character, it repeats that character.

Like in: 時々 (tokidoki), which means 'sometimes'.

Does anyone have any more examples of when this happens?

I know a few but from wikipedia:

黙々 (mokumoku, “silent, mute, tacit”)

早々 (hayabaya, “promptly”)

佐々木 (sasaki, “Sasaki (a Japanese surname)”)

昔々 (mukashimukashi, “once upon a time”)

時々 (tokidoki, “occasionally, sometimes”)

久々 (hisabisa, “long-absent”)

色々 (iroiro, “various”)

日々 (hibi, “daily”)

島々 (shimajima, “islands”)

所々 (tokorodokoro, “here and there”)

Also I know of 人々 (hitobito) meaning each person.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/03/2018 at 4:58 PM, Danibellerika said:

I know a few but from wikipedia:

黙々 (mokumoku, “silent, mute, tacit”)

早々 (hayabaya, “promptly”)

佐々木 (sasaki, “Sasaki (a Japanese surname)”)

昔々 (mukashimukashi, “once upon a time”)

時々 (tokidoki, “occasionally, sometimes”)

久々 (hisabisa, “long-absent”)

色々 (iroiro, “various”)

日々 (hibi, “daily”)

島々 (shimajima, “islands”)

所々 (tokorodokoro, “here and there”)

Also I know of 人々 (hitobito) meaning each person.

Thank you so much!:thanks:

I will learn this list by heart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a bit OT, but I wanted to share it and since it sort of is Japanese related, I thought to share it here. (But under spoiler, because yeah ^_^; )

Spoiler

So, my native Japanese speaker has been in Japan with health problems since the beginning of the year. So, we got a substitute, another native Japanese whom I knew and like - he's the owner of the best Japanese restaurant in town - but he had no teaching experience, so the whole thing was pretty hard for him. He was literally just helping out for a short while, trying his best, but it was really just to give us something so as not to waste time. But now, we got a new teacher - also temporarily, I guess, until my actual teacher's situation settles somehow. He was actually a Japanese teacher in Japan and had taught students from N5 to N1 level, so he's familiar with that, too. He's also young and has been in the country for only 3 weeks lol. So, today was our first class with him, and from even before class started, I found myself thinking he's very Yuzu-like, just from the way he spoke.

And now, after a two hours class with him, I seriously feel like I got the Yuzuru Hanyu equivalent of a Japanese teacher. To say he's full of energy is a huge understatement. Imagine Yuzu taking off as soon as he touches the ice in practice. Same kind of energy. He also machinegun talks. He is very fast in general. And he had everything planned really well - and YOLO-ed when he realized some things wouldn't really go according to plan - and stuck to that plan and made it work 100%. He's also really friendly and funny and... yeah. Totally shades of Yuzu lol (Not physically, though. But he is cute and young and looks even younger than he is lol)

So, today, in two hours, we did grammar - with examples and exercises - we did reading - with role playing and reading the text several times, and feedback on reading abilities - and we did 5 kanji, with word examples and 'everyone read aloud' exercises, too. It was all very intense, but fun and... yeah. I guess, if Yuzu were a Japanese teacher, he'd be like that, too lol (I am both looking forward to and dreading next week's class LOL I'll need lots of energy to keep up with my teacher lol)

4 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

This is a bit OT, but I wanted to share it and since it sort of is Japanese related, I thought to share it here. (But under spoiler, because yeah ^_^; )

Reveal hidden contents

So, my native Japanese speaker has been in Japan with health problems since the beginning of the year. So, we got a substitute, another native Japanese whom I knew and like - he's the owner of the best Japanese restaurant in town - but he had no teaching experience, so the whole thing was pretty hard for him. He was literally just helping out for a short while, trying his best, but it was really just to give us something so as not to waste time. But now, we got a new teacher - also temporarily, I guess, until my actual teacher's situation settles somehow. He was actually a Japanese teacher in Japan and had taught students from N5 to N1 level, so he's familiar with that, too. He's also young and has been in the country for only 3 weeks lol. So, today was our first class with him, and from even before class started, I found myself thinking he's very Yuzu-like, just from the way he spoke.

And now, after a two hours class with him, I seriously feel like I got the Yuzuru Hanyu equivalent of a Japanese teacher. To say he's full of energy is a huge understatement. Imagine Yuzu taking off as soon as he touches the ice in practice. Same kind of energy. He also machinegun talks. He is very fast in general. And he had everything planned really well - and YOLO-ed when he realized some things wouldn't really go according to plan - and stuck to that plan and made it work 100%. He's also really friendly and funny and... yeah. Totally shades of Yuzu lol (Not physically, though. But he is cute and young and looks even younger than he is lol)

So, today, in two hours, we did grammar - with examples and exercises - we did reading - with role playing and reading the text several times, and feedback on reading abilities - and we did 5 kanji, with word examples and 'everyone read aloud' exercises, too. It was all very intense, but fun and... yeah. I guess, if Yuzu were a Japanese teacher, he'd be like that, too lol (I am both looking forward to and dreading next week's class LOL I'll need lots of energy to keep up with my teacher lol)

Spoiler

Go for it. 

:muahaha:

Yeah no no smart comments from me never what

Haro!

Nihongo romaji wa kaki masu. Demo mada kanji ga muzukashi desune. 

Hello~

I have been trying to use japanese keyboard on my phone to communicate with Japanese friends on line, but the Japanese keyboard is very difficult to use. So I rather communicate with romaji. I lived in Tokyo last year so I can speak and understand Japanese almost fluently but I only read and write very few kanji. 

I studied Japanese since I was 14 years old. But I still can't write Kanji well enough to communicate with Japanese fluently. Is this normal? (I am in my 20s)

3 hours ago, Shawnmendesluv said:

I studied Japanese since I was 14 years old. But I still can't write Kanji well enough to communicate with Japanese fluently. Is this normal? (I am in my 20s)

Kanji is hard :P, It's way easier to speak than it is to write so yeah, i think it's normal :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

Also, what keyboard are you using? I use GBoard and at first it was a bit confusing but now i can type rather fast with it, especially because the predictive text works wonders :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: (i start typing は and the suggestion is 羽生:rofl:)

1 minute ago, Hydroblade said:

Kanji is hard :P, It's way easier to speak than it is to write so yeah, i think it's normal :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

Also, what keyboard are you using? I use GBoard and at first it was a bit confusing but now i can type rather fast with it, especially because the predictive text works wonders :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: (i start typing は and the suggestion is 羽生:rofl:)

I use the one where if you type in romaji you can choose from a selection of kanji and hiragana. Lol because you use hanyu so much? Are you Japanese? I saw your fluent writing on Japanese board.

3 minutes ago, Shawnmendesluv said:

I use the one where if you type in romaji you can choose from a selection of kanji and hiragana. Lol because you use hanyu so much? Are you Japanese? I saw your fluent writing on Japanese board.

This is the one i use. It took me like a week to get used to it but it's awfully convenient :biggrin: and i've seen some videos where japanese are typing on their phones and they use a similar keyboard so hey, it's native approved :P

And no :P born, raised and currently living in Mexico. I've been studying japanese for a long time now, even though i started formal lessons just last year:13877886: