Japanese study group

Hydroblade

1 minute ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Don't give up, you never know what might happen! 

And how did you say that? Just out of curiosity. 

At least, following my book, it would have been something like "すみません、一緒に写真をとってもいいんですか。" Although now I'm wondering if 一緒に is really the best way to say it! 

Well, I do have one concrete hope, and it's called Milano 2018... if I somehow manage to be accepted as a volunteer there, and I get the extreme luck of doing a job that requires being in contact with him, I may play my cards right and seize the moment and steal a minute from him to tell him... stuff. And then ask for a picture (or a hug. Or both. Sometimes the hug comes by itself).

5 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

At least, following my book, it would have been something like "すみません、一緒に写真をとってもいいんですか。" Although now I'm wondering if 一緒に is really the best way to say it! 

Well, I do have one concrete hope, and it's called Milano 2018... if I somehow manage to be accepted as a volunteer there, and I get the extreme luck of doing a job that requires being in contact with him, I may play my cards right and seize the moment and steal a minute from him to tell him... stuff. And then ask for a picture (or a hug. Or both. Sometimes the hug comes by itself).

sounds like you have more chances than me already :sadPooh:

2 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

sounds like you have more chances than me already :sadPooh:

Mmmh they told me they'd maybe put a form online for volunteers. But until I don't see that, my chances are as good as 0!

Did you ask if maybe they do the same thing for Autumn Classic? You could test your luck too :winky:

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Mmmh they told me they'd maybe put a form online for volunteers. But until I don't see that, my chances are as good as 0!

Did you ask if maybe they do the same thing for Autumn Classic? You could test your luck too :winky:

lol can foreigners apply to be volunteers :P?

Anyways, i don't really go hoping to meet him :) although a simple nod in my general direction would be enough for me :rofl:

1 minute ago, Hydroblade said:

lol can foreigners apply to be volunteers :P?

Anyways, i don't really go hoping to meet him :) although a simple nod in my general direction would be enough for me :rofl:

Damn, a nod from Yuzu can cause fever for weeks! 

Mmmh who knows, really... maybe if they see you speak three languages, though, they will think twice about rejecting you only because you are a foreigner! It's Canada after all! The land of hope and wonder! (?) 

26 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

My advice: study Japanese like crazy - and if you want, you have my help - and insist you get assigned to the Japanese team. Though insisting might not be necessary, I don't think there are all that many people who speak Japanese.

Though, honestly, you should be very very careful, too.

I've worked at events - not sports, admittedly, but that shouldn't be all that different - and the thing that'll get you out and banned forever is trying to approach a participant. 

The best thing is to write a polite little note - maybe add a small gift - saying who you are, what you do there, so he has a chance to decide if he wants to acknowledge you. (Er, of course you can say you're a fan and worked your butt of to be able to be there and support him. ^^; )

And please, please, please, if you have the chance to do that, call him 羽生選手 and not Yuzuru-san or Yuzu-chan; that's fine for fan banners and fan mail but not directly... (I also got to watch some drop dead moments as a result of too fan like approaches...)

Please pardon the lecture; you probably already knew all that yourself. ^^;

42 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Oops, I forgot about the photo part...

And the way to ask for a picture together would be something like, もし、嫌(イヤ)では無ければ... and hold up your camera or, if it would be a selfie, your smartphone.

It's an informal phrase, but if he'd chosen to give you the chance, that would be okay.

4 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

i honestly cringed reading this :anger: 

There are some kinds of overseas fans... or maybe better "fans"

What was that term again? Weea-somethings? And some of them are scaringly determined to get close to someone famous Japanese.

PS edit: Privately in my mind I have to admit there ARE total "ahhh, Yuzu-chan" moments, especially when he's being a dork - :rofl:- but that's just in my mind. Or at most in a comment here.

6 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

My advice: study Japanese like crazy - and if you want, you have my help - and insist you get assigned to the Japanese team. Though insisting might not be necessary, I don't think there are all that many people who speak Japanese.

Though, honestly, you should be very very careful, too.

I've worked at events - not sports, admittedly, but that shouldn't be all that different - and the thing that'll get you out and banned forever is trying to approach a participant. 

The best thing is to write a polite little note - maybe add a small gift - saying who you are, what you do there, so he has a chance to decide if he wants to acknowledge you. (Er, of course you can say you're a fan and worked your butt of to be able to be there and support him. ^^; )

And please, please, please, if you have the chance to do that, call him 羽生選手 and not Yuzuru-san or Yuzu-chan; that's fine for fan banners and fan mail but not directly... (I also got to watch some drop dead moments as a result of too fan like approaches...)

Please pardon the lecture; you probably already knew all that yourself. ^^;

Some thoughts I've had are: approaching him while the competition is happening is not wise nor polite. He will be fully concentrated and, rightly so, won't have time to spare for no fan. 

I don't think he usually has any spare moments in the arena honestly, and I'm definitely not the kind of person to bluntly approach someone when I'm not supposed to, I'm super shy, but, mmmh... I thought up something like... nonchalantly saying something in Japanese... in his direction... (anything to show him some respect and appreciation for his hard work) and hoping he notices and responds in some way... even just a nod or a smile. 

But maybe you are right, the note does leave more space and time for him to decide how to respond or if to respond at all. But then there's the issue: how to give it to him? Giving it directly might be as difficult as approaching him verbally, and giving it indirectly to one of his team or bodyguards might translate to Yuzuru not reading the note until much after he's in Milan, or not at all.

10 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

Oops, I forgot about the photo part...

And the way to ask for a picture together would be something like, もし、嫌(イヤ)では無ければ... and hold up your camera or, if it would be a selfie, your smartphone.

It's an informal phrase, but if he'd chosen to give you the chance, that would be okay.

Aaaah yes, it's kind of the equivalent of "If you don't mind..." in English, or "Se non è un disturbo..." in Italian... only, in both languages it would be weird to just leave it as that, one would be seen as "shy". Meanwhile, in Japan, it's just being normal! :laughing:

13 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Some thoughts I've had are: approaching him while the competition is happening is not wise nor polite. He will be fully concentrated and, rightly so, won't have time to spare for no fan. 

I don't think he usually has any spare moments in the arena honestly, and I'm definitely not the kind of person to bluntly approach someone when I'm not supposed to, I'm super shy, but, mmmh... I thought up something like... nonchalantly saying something in Japanese... in his direction... (anything to show him some respect and appreciation for his hard work) and hoping he notices and responds in some way... even just a nod or a smile. 

But maybe you are right, the note does leave more space and time for him to decide how to respond or if to respond at all. But then there's the issue: how to give it to him? Giving it directly might be as difficult as approaching him verbally, and giving it indirectly to one of his team or bodyguards might translate to Yuzuru not reading the note until much after he's in Milan, or not at all.

Aaaah yes, it's kind of the equivalent of "If you don't mind..." in English, or "Se non è un disturbo..." in Italian... only, in both languages it would be weird to just leave it as that, one would be seen as "shy". Meanwhile, in Japan, it's just being normal! :laughing:

In Japan, that's more than normal, it's being polite - remember the earlier conversation about being indirect leaving the other the freedom to respond as they like and/or can? 😀

In case of Yuzu, IF there was time, I think previous records show he'd be happy to oblige. 😀

Getting the note to him, what is common in Japan/with Japanese, which might require some patience - though, come to think of it, I don't know if the first steps are possible outside Japan >_< - is, you find someone with some official badge. 

Well, you'd have that if you'd be a volunteer there, so next step, find someone on his team - or outer ring of body guards or so - and ask if they would kindly accept something for him.

If they were Japanese, what to say would be, 差し入れですが。。。

If it were Japan, security would refuse to take it, but they'd call staff.

You'd have to say the same thing again and profoundly apologise for bothering them, but IF they'd accept it, they'd deliver it either to him in person or someone like Brian or Kikuchi-san.

28 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Part 2, since I accidentally hit "submit Reply" ^^;

If you'd have the opportunity to say something while he was passing by...

羽生選手、素晴らしかったです。

..., 感動しました。

...,夢みたいな感じです。

Also of course the standard, 応援します。

Assuming it went well as I want it to. 😛

Otherwise, there's always 頑張ってください。

For a win, おめでとうございます- obviously 

Worst of worst outcome, ご苦労さまでした。

Why am I lecturing here? 😛

It's all Yuzu's fault. 

One of the volunteers for Helsinki was a Yuzu fan and she would share her encounters later on with us. His team is wary of staff and volunteers. I'm not sure about him directly, but Kuchiki-san (I think?) was giving her the eye because she was staring at him. So I think they make sure volunteers slow their roll as well.  She said it was a good experience though because seeing him go back and forth all the time it sunk in that he is just a person.  A special person, yes, but by the end she'd mellowed out.  She didn't get any pictures with him. 

Also, some of these tips are so helpful, I think it'd be good if they can go on the front page for a quick easy reference or something.

8 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

One of the volunteers for Helsinki was a Yuzu fan and she would share her encounters later on with us. His team is wary of staff and volunteers. I'm not sure about him directly, but Kuchiki-san (I think?) was giving her the eye because she was staring at him. So I think they make sure volunteers slow their roll as well.  She said it was a good experience though because seeing him go back and forth all the time it sunk in that he is just a person.  A special person, yes, but by the end she'd mellowed out.  She didn't get any pictures with him. 

Also, some of these tips are so helpful, I think it'd be good if they can go on the front page for a quick easy reference or something.

May I ask what or which tips you mean? 😀

If you mean how to approach Yuzu - or any famous Japanese - respectfully, I'd be okay with that. 

But as this is pretty much "I got caught up in the moment" posting, I might want to revise for exact wording, maybe.