Japanese study group

Hydroblade

11 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

the reason of the confusion when he was in school is that, if i'm not mistaken, "Habu" is much more common than "Hanyu" 

Yeah, it's that plus: look at all those readings that kanji alone has!

Japanese names:

あさ、 いき、 いく、 いけ、 うぶ、 うまい、 え、 おい、 ぎゅう、 くるみ、 ごせ、 さ、 じょう、 すぎ、 そ、 そう、 ちる、 なば、 にう、 にゅう、 ふ、 み、 もう、 よい、 りゅう

Now I'm having lots of fun inventing new names for poor Yuzu :laughing: Yuzuru Hagose, Yuzuru Hanesugi, Yuzuru haiku (nice one!), Yuzuru hanemi... they actually don't sound that bad...

14 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Maybe this will help:

羽 is indeed read "hane" iirc, but it can also be read as just "ha"(like the bird counter (?) 千羽鶴⇒せんずる). The 生 character has the "nyuu" reading. So you are just combining the "ha" and "nyuu" reading of those kanji :) the reason of the confusion when he was in school is that, if i'm not mistaken, "Habu" is much more common than "Hanyu" 

Thanks!

23 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Does anyone have any free basic reading materials for people who are just starting to learn Japanese and know almost nothing :13877886:

To learn kanas and kanjis, the "kanji-study" app is pretty great - and free for the "basic" level (kanas + the radicals + the first 80 kanjis) - it should take you some time to master this level. And it can check automatically if you write them well, and do all sorts of quizzes that make kanji learning almost like a game (but it's still a lot of work, of course, sadly).

As for a japanese free method per se, I don't know sorry. I've always buyed books.

On 11/08/2017 at 3:13 PM, surimi said:

Good luck with the websites, Altie! If you're sociable, they look like a great place to practice language, and who knows, if you live in a city as large as Paris, you could even make a real-life friend who lives or is staying in Paris? Good luck, and let us know how you fared!

Myself, I checked out a conversation website or two, but didn't join - I'm extremely introverted and immensely unimaginative/boring when it comes to talking to strangers. ;) So I went ahead and despite my low level, signed up for 'official' individual classes with a native speaker, because I really really need someone to check and correct my pronunciation. Turns out I got lucky - this guy knows not only of Hanyu, but of Kihira as well, yay! 

Thanks a lot @surimi. Yes, I think I'm pretty sociable, but my problem is a very busy life and lack of time... and the frustrating fact that I'm totally unable to express myself in japanese (yet ?) :)

But actually, I've been contacted directly by a PH japanese user living in Paris, so, yay me ! :)

2 minutes ago, Altie said:

To learn kanas and kanjis, the "kanji-study" app is pretty great - and free for the "basic" level (kanas + the radicals + the first 80 kanjis) - it should take you some time to master this level. And it can check automatically if you write them well, and do all sorts of quizzes that make kanji learning almost like a game (but it's still a lot of work, of course, sadly).

As for a japanese free method per se, I don't know sorry. I've always buyed books.

Oh, thank you :) I'm open to buying books too, do you have any you'd recommend?

4 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Oh, thank you :) I'm open to buying books too, do you have any you'd recommend?

I'm in love with the new books I've bought but... sadly they're in french :)

(The "Banzai" method and the grammar "neko no te" (Ellipse ed))

Hey guys - wondering if someone could check my translation from English into Japanese and also as a fun exercise for everyone LOL? (it's an unrelated-to-Yuzu topic but my Japanese is rusty AF so please feel free to tear it to pieces since I'm basically going off instinct when it comes to particles :headdesk:)

What I want to say: 'Every year, no matter the weather, this sakura tree blooms for us. The flowers on this tree are not the most beautiful, nor do they bloom the fastest, but I think the fact they steadily bloom one by one is still good/beautiful.'

Attempted JP translation: 毎年 どんな天気があってもこの桜は咲くってくれる。この桜木にある花は一番きれいな花ではなく早く咲く事もしないけど花は一つずつちゃんと咲くのはいいと思う。

Attempted JP translation (with 'furigana' after the kanji for new learners): 毎年 (まいとし) どんな天気(てんき)があってもこの桜(さくら)は咲 (さ)くってくれる。この桜木 (さくらき)にある花(はな)は一番(いちばん)きれいな花ではなく早く(はやく)咲く事(こと)もしないけど花は一つ(ひとつ)ずつちゃんと咲くのはいいと思う。

Key points of confusion:

• どんな天気があっても - I think this doesn't quite convey the nuance of 'no matter if the weather we get is good or bad' which is what I mean by 'no matter the weather'. Also, can we even use ある with 天気(てんき)? Or is it どんな天気でも?
  • Does 桜 or 桜木 denote the entire tree (including flowers)?
  • The entire "一番きれいな花ではなく早く咲く事もしてないけど"... it feels very strained (especially 咲く事) so would be eager to know if there's a more natural way of expressing the thought ; u ; 

On 12.08.2017 at 0:55 AM, Hydroblade said:

the reason of the confusion when he was in school is that, if i'm not mistaken, "Habu" is much more common than "Hanyu" 

Just small correction- depending on the area of Japan, it's either Hanyu or Habu, though in that one show I should have saved but forgot to (I'm an idiot T.T), there was explained that the surname  羽生 is p. rare everywhere, and the ratio of reading Hanyu to Habu is 75:15, though older people tend to lean towards Habu, as there was that shogi(?) genius going by that name.

• 2 weeks later...

OOOOOH MY GOD

:sadPooh:

My classes started today.

I feel like my brain is pudding trying to consciously understand もらいます あげます くれます. Like, i get it but i was asked to form a sentence from spanish. And i failed. But then i had to make another one on the fly because the one i had written down was the same as another classmate and i got it right because i didn't have to translate.

Also the teacher is japanese and this is making it very hard for me because she asked me things and i wasn't able to translate into spanish even though i completely understood what she said. Help :sadPooh: this is difficult :sadPooh:

1 hour ago, Hydroblade said:

OOOOOH MY GOD

:sadPooh:

My classes started today.

I feel like my brain is pudding trying to consciously understand もらいます あげます くれます. Like, i get it but i was asked to form a sentence from spanish. And i failed. But then i had to make another one on the fly because the one i had written down was the same as another classmate and i got it right because i didn't have to translate.

Also the teacher is japanese and this is making it very hard for me because she asked me things and i wasn't able to translate into spanish even though i completely understood what she said. Help :sadPooh: this is difficult :sadPooh:

Omg is there a difference between those three? Amazeballs!!! Please share, I have yet to understand why do they use one or the other at times xD もらいます and くれます specifically seem so similar to me. 

Also, for translation, you could do some home training using some random... videos... maybe Yuzu interviews? :devilYuzu: Translation is a matter of practice and improvisation! You can do it, gather up the courage! 

もらいます I always think about receiving something from someone or getting someone to do something for me. くれます I think that some gave me something or did something for me as a favor. 

My classes are coming to an end but the next set of classes won't work with my grad school schedule as they only offer the next class on Tuesday :-(. I'm also missing the very last class of this level because I'll be at ACI.  And then for the next set I feel like I won't be able to do it because I'll be wrapping up grad school and then I'll probably miss a couple sessions for PyeongChang and I don't want to waste my money. So I'll keep studying the book on my own within that time and my resume formal classes in the spring. We're mostly just going through the book in class anyway, which I can do on my own.  I may reconvene with them at the 300 level after I finish Genki II.  I did order the books for that level.

As another study tool I have been reading: 

https://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Basic-Japanese-Grammar/dp/4789004546/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504394765&sr=8-1&keywords=dictionary+of+japanese+grammar

If it's got things you already know I also find it good for further clarification.  And I've ordered the next 2 books in this series which should be here Tuesday. Not that I'll have time to get to them anytime soon but I like that I'll have them. It's also cheaper getting them sent from Amazon Japan than Amazon.com to the States. So I recommend checking to compare the prices of what you're buying. 

8 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

I'm also missing the very last class of this level because I'll be at ACI.

Best reason for absence ever, though!

8 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

もらいます I always think about receiving something from someone or getting someone to do something for me. くれます I think that some gave me something or did something for me as a favor. 

Oh, so chronologically, 'moraimasu' comes before the "favour" and 'kuremasu' comes right after. Right? 

So would it be more correct to say:

ドアを開けてもらいませんか。

than saying:

ドアを開けてくれないか。

???

The way i understood is like this, i might be terribly wrong but i'll try...

もらいます---> When you receive something.

くれます--->You receive something but the subject is the person who gave the thing to you

あげます----> You give something

The thing i did get from this is that all three convey a sense of gratitude/kindness from the person giving. And it doesn't apply just to giving or receiving things but also for things like "helping" someone. Like, the example that our teacher gave us was:

母はセーターを送りました. It sounds too dry, your mother sent you that because she cares for you. Therefore, you say お母さんはセーターを送ってくれました.

:14066882:

So complicated! :acceptable: Theoretically I understand it, but I bet a loooot of practice is needed so that which one you choose will be an automatic choice when you talk. I definitely can't wait to begin glasses as well (october still), because I'm behind on grammar lol.