Japanese study group

Hydroblade

Okay super random but.... as someone who knows Chinese, I am still so confused as to how Japanese kanji map onto more than one syllable.

LIKE I DON'T GET IT!! Just HOW am I supposed to look at ONE character and produce MULTIPLE syllables?? My brain just..... can't???? AGHHHHHHHHHHH :headdesk2:

Okay super random but.... as someone who knows Chinese, I am still so confused as to how Japanese kanji map onto more than one syllable.

LIKE I DON'T GET IT!! Just HOW am I supposed to look at ONE character and produce MULTIPLE syllables?? My brain just..... can't???? AGHHHHHHHHHHH :headdesk2:

On 2/3/2021 at 2:12 PM, swan_queen said:

As an native English speaker, I'm amazed how hard it is to memorize each way it is read. Seems like it will take a long time...I'm at 2nd grade kanji. がんばって下さい。

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 4:12 AM, swan_queen said:

Yeah ikr!! Chinese’s 多音字(words that have more than one syllable) sometimes mess me up while reading some names with them:emoticonaci2019:  it’s awkward

And now there’s Japanese. I think Yuzuru’s kanji name can be pronounced differently as well.

I’m tryin hard to memorise all the kanji syllables:tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5:it’s like re-learning Chinese from zero hahaha

for example, 天in Japanese can be pronounced as Ten or Ama。。。

And another part, when I learn colours... 青in Chinese means green, but in Japanese 青い is blue:tumblr_m9gck4P2Jf1qzckow: I still confuse them up till now 

• 1 month later...
20 時間前, hananistellataさんが言いました:

Every time I watch a Yuzuru interview I manage to understand a few words and the general subject of each sentence (most of the time :'3) and I feel further motivated. Studying Japanese also takes my attention away from my problems and worries because I get very absorbed so I've been studying quite a lot recently to distract myself from the chaos that has been going on in the figure skating world recently (which is now reaching it's peak). It's a very healthy coping mechanism and I'm glad for the opportunities it has provided me so far.

This post doesn't really to do with anything specific, I guess it's my little attempt at reviving this topic which seems a little dead recently. I'll probably make some more posts like in the future. :tumblr_inline_mg16hfnAAr1qdlkyg:

Nihongo no benkyo Ganbatte!

World competition is coming soon.

Let's cheer him up together! 

On 2/19/2021 at 9:24 PM, hananistellata said:

Here's my experience with Japanese so far!

Around 5th grade I got into watching anime and like a lot of us I got intrested in learning Japanese. To my surprise, 11ish year old me was actually very dedicated to learning the language. I got myself a little notebook where I took notes, wrote example sentances and stuff but I only managed to learn the very basics (Hiragana, Katakana and basic greetings).

A couple of years later, after becoming a fresh Fanyu I went back to wanting to learn Japanese. I could still remember a couple of characters and that was a pretty big help. Now that I am much more mature I am able to make myself work even harder, taking on challenges against myself and doing my best. Plus, I have Yuzu as my main motivation. :3

I've been consistently learning Japanese for over a year now, I'm not as far as I wish to be but this year I'll work even harder to achieve my goal.

Congratulations! It's great to be so motivated. 頑張ってください ! 

Personally, I've been learning Japanese for about 3 years on my own (books, Moocs, Marugoto,...) but I'm not regular enough.:weeping: I really need to devote more time to learning!  But I keep going! And next year I plan to take distance learning courses to impose a rhythm on myself (during +/- 2 years). My goal is to be able to take the JLPT 4 and go to Japan with a good mastery of Japanese.

3 hours ago, Marie-E said:

Congratulations! It's great to be so motivated. 頑張ってください ! 

Personally, I've been learning Japanese for about 3 years on my own (books, Moocs, Marugoto,...) but I'm not regular enough.:weeping: I really need to devote more time to learning!  But I keep going! And next year I plan to take distance learning courses to impose a rhythm on myself (during +/- 2 years). My goal is to be able to take the JLPT 4 and go to Japan with a good mastery of Japanese.

I feel you, I took (and got! 🙏) the N4 in 2019, was supposed to try N3 in December but the pandemic messed up some things. However before I seriously sat down studying for 1-2h a day for 4.5 months for n4 (yep), I also studied very on/off inconsistently for years 😥 Looking back, if instead of being hard on myself some days and feeling down/burned on other days, I had studied even just 15min each night or set small goals such as 3-5 words or one grammar rule a day, I would have gotten farther faster. Consistency truly is key more than speedrun, you’re right to want to commit to courses! 頑張ってね!☺️

With that said, I just logged into my kanji + compound words app and it tells me that after a 10ish day break, I have 1350 reviews late to do... 🤡 Yuzuru, give me strength 😭

16 minutes ago, hananistellata said:

What is the name of the Kanji and compound words app that you are using? I think it would come in handy for me since the textbook I study for is grammar only (and Duolingo should only be taken with a mountain of salt).

Hello! I use wanikani, it is not free after lvl 3 however. Personally I like it but I know some people for whom this method doesn’t work at all. The downside is that you need to turn up daily eventually otherwise you end up with nightmare reviews moments 🙃 each review is meaning + reading, it’s a lot to type, quite time consuming.
Kanji and compound words up until the end of n5 level are free to learn with their method so you can try it out any time. For me the higgest benefit of it is that it doesn’t let you slack in learning the various readings (alone + different places in a compound word) whereas when I was studying without it, I was too lazy in that area. 

3 hours ago, SeimeiOrigin said:

Ahhh. I have just opened the text book and now i am confused because there are THREE? types of alphabets to learn for Japanese?  Nope. I don't get it. I think i need a real life person to teach me. LOL

I know it's kinda overwhelming but when you learn one at a time it's not too bad. Try learning on the Human Japanese app it's free for awhile. It's what I used to learn for the first 7 months or so.  It's great! 

10 hours ago, Glory said:

I know it's kinda overwhelming but when you learn one at a time it's not too bad. Try learning on the Human Japanese app it's free for awhile. It's what I used to learn for the first 7 months or so.  It's great! 

Hi Glory. thanks for the tip. I will check it out. Maybe you could answer a burning question for me? please, thank you. 
In interviews I notice Yuzu (and others) often end a sentence with the sound “mus or ‘mas’’. Not the word, Gazaimas, but something else. What would that word ending mean, do you think?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, SeimeiOrigin said:

Hi Glory. thanks for the tip. I will check it out. Maybe you could answer a burning question for me? please, thank you. 
In interviews I notice Yuzu (and others) often end a sentence with the sound “mus or ‘mas’’. Not the word, Gazaimas, but something else. What would that word ending mean, do you think?

Thanks.

It's a polite verb ending. I’ve noticed he usually ends a sentence with omoimas which means "I think".  But any verb can end with Mas. You use this polite way in sentences when you are talking to people that aren't close friends or relatives. 

On 4/5/2021 at 3:20 PM, hananistellata said:

The new Yuzu crumbs that we got made me really happy not only because we got to see Yuzu but also because I understood his message instantly and was able to read it without the assistance of any Hiragana. :tumblr_inline_mjgka6fYNw1qz4rgp:

I can feel my brain getting wrinkles, lol.

Still pretty worried about WTT though... :yznotimpressed:

I have so much trouble understanding Yuzuru. I don’t know why...maybe I'm distracted by his face

11 hours ago, Glory said:

I have so much trouble understanding Yuzuru. I don’t know why...maybe I'm distracted by his face

hahaha sometimes I read his interviews in Japanese on Sponichi's website and try to learn few kanji/vocab. I feel like he always connect sentences and never make pause like the sentences are just long and don't have dots lol So yea the only distracter is not his face but also his speech ability :7562096: