Japanese study group

Hydroblade

On 11/24/2019 at 9:28 PM, Pika said:

Wow this thread seems so serious ! Well, YOU guys seem so serious about your Japanese learning that's impressive.

I just wanted to say that I'm joining the fun. As a total beginner, I did my first lessons on the Busuu app. Watashi wa Pika desu :68556365:

Good luck with your studies

So i survived N4:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: I feel deceived, there was no keigo or jidoushi in the grammar section! Vocabulary felt super easy and i even felt like the listening part was pretty slow... I think i'm going to pass and if i do i'll probably take N3 next year. My teacher said that the jump from N4 to N3 in terms of grammar is not that big and he thinks my level in vocabulary and listening is higher than N4 so :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Who else took the test? How did you do :D?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/3/2019 at 7:05 PM, Hydroblade said:

So i survived N4:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: I feel deceived, there was no keigo or jidoushi in the grammar section! Vocabulary felt super easy and i even felt like the listening part was pretty slow... I think i'm going to pass and if i do i'll probably take N3 next year. My teacher said that the jump from N4 to N3 in terms of grammar is not that big and he thinks my level in vocabulary and listening is higher than N4 so :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid::tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Who else took the test? How did you do :D?

Me! But I'll be honest, I passed N4 by sheer luck. I was quite underprepared and my listening answer selection was pure eenie-meenie. The reading and grammar parts caused me no major problems, but I knew too few kanji and words. I ended up messing up even the kanji for 交通, which I'd learned before :( Listenings have always been a tragedy for me. The combination of unknown vocab/phrases, keigo and no second chance, are a killer for me. I feel that Duolingo is helping big time with all I struggle with. I've been plaing it since Autumn. I've now been learning 3 years and a month, 60 minutes per week for the most part. I feel very much unsure about being able to tackle N3 in December. My teacher warned me that the gap between levels 4 and 3 is bigger than between 5 and 4.

I'd appreciate study tips and assessments from people who are preparing for / have passed N3! I try to improve step by step, but writing a simple sentence usually takes a ridiculously long time, as does trying to actually say something, and new vocab is sometimes hard for me to memorize (due to lack of memory aids; seeing words very often on Duo helps, of course). Reading 青い炎  like Hydroblade is out of the realm of possibility for me. Or watching Japanese news, though that one looks more doable. What hampers me is that I am not really interested in the stuff most learners are - anime, manga, Jpop, Japanese movies or shows. Skating interviews and videos are my main source of vocabulary and grammar, apart from textbooks. I am not a chatty person so I wouldn't make use of chat exchange apps.  ... Any tips on how a person like me should prepare for N3?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been slacking so much in my studies. I should have begun to study for N3 a long time ago but i was just so burnt out >__<

I finally began, printed the list of kanji for N3 and crossed the ones i don't need to study anymore lol.

Anyone has suggestions of books to use? I'm back to studying on my own, the N4 class was just 7 people and i don't think any of them will take N3 >__< so they can't open a class.

At least i have the basics covered now >__<

• 1 month later...

I've been learning Japanese on and off for a year or so - I used Genki and Remembering the Kanji, and I've just started Tobira, which is challenging but fun! I also use Bunpro for grammar practice. Hopefully I'll be able to understand Yuzuru's interviews soon :)

18 hours ago, 4Lo3A said:

I've been learning Japanese on and off for a year or so - I used Genki and Remembering the Kanji, and I've just started Tobira, which is challenging but fun! I also use Bunpro for grammar practice. Hopefully I'll be able to understand Yuzuru's interviews soon :)

I'm using Genki right now! I like it a lot because of the CDs. Lots of listening and speaking practice! I've never heard of Tobira or Bunpro. I'll have to look them up. I used to have a teacher but she had to stop teaching for awhile. I've been learning for 2 years but at a slow and steady pace. I don't retain things well at a fast pace.  The first time I could understand one of Yuzuru's sentences I was amazed. He talks so fast it seems.  

On 7/20/2020 at 11:38 AM, Glory said:

I'm using Genki right now! I like it a lot because of the CDs. Lots of listening and speaking practice! I've never heard of Tobira or Bunpro. I'll have to look them up. I used to have a teacher but she had to stop teaching for awhile. I've been learning for 2 years but at a slow and steady pace. I don't retain things well at a fast pace.  The first time I could understand one of Yuzuru's sentences I was amazed. He talks so fast it seems.  

nice! Genki’s listening exercises are really good - especially when accompanied with the workbook. Listening is definitely my weak point when it comes to Japanese, but hopefully my comprehension ability will improve with practice. (I’m also learning Russian at school, so FS is pretty good language practice for me!)

On 4/7/2019 at 11:50 AM, Defyingevanyuri27 said:

Anyone know any good free websites/apps to learn basic Japanese?

Hello

An interesting source for learning Japanese is the Mooc "Steps in Japanese for beginners". It's on the edX platform. There are several existing courses. In each lesson, there is a "vocabulary" part, a "grammar" part and a "role play" part.

The mooc is given by Waseda University (and who attends courses of this University ? ^^    :peek:): https://www.edx.org/school/wasedax 

It's a good way to familiarize yourself with the language. We follow the adventures of Andy who is a student at Waseda University... so we also discover the place, which is nice.

• 2 months later...

I mentioned this in the wikiquote thread but it's worth a mention here too: some fanyus have started the #FanyuStudyClub on Twitter to encourage people to learn Japanese using material related to Yuzu. It's open to anyone. Some of it is basic, some is more advanced.

For example, just yesterday, Fukuhana started a collab with a fanartist whose work many of you will recognize...

• 2 months later...

Yuzuru really isn't helping me out with studying Japanese right now. Every time I try to do a WK review, I get about three cards in and my brain subconsciously thinks something like "Wait, Japanese? You know who speaks Japanese, right? Yuzuru! Who skated this weekend!" and then before you know it I've spent fifteen minutes watching LMEY on repeat again.

I swear. If this is a repeat of when I got 2000 reviews behind during the GPF last year...

I've been studying Japanese for like 5 years now but I never became consistent about it so now I am in a point where I understand stuff but don't know anything properly. Everytime when I start to study again I am like "yea I know this" but later when I try to make sentence my brain just "???? what are we doing again??"  any tips for how to avoid this illusion of learning? :13877886:

I feel like learning something from zero is easier than to add something new on top of what you've learned :tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw: