Japanese study group

Hydroblade

9 hours ago, surimi said:

Welcome, compatriot, and good luck! Do you learn by yourself, or do you take classes?

Thank you, thank you! :img_21:

I tried kana and kanji by myself for some time, but several months ago, I decided to take classes. I realized my motivation to learn is high (I really want to understand all Yuzu's thoughts, because they are little gems in this world), so I would rather learn from someone with experience. Fortunately, our teacher is Japanese, so I hope I will be able to understand faster and better. 

But so far, with greetings, family, food and houses, I can understand only small bits of Yuzu's Ghana hot chocolate video. :sipping:

• 4 weeks later...

I think N5 is doable on your own but I agree if you are serious about it it's good to have an actual teacher and especially to talk / communicate with native speakers.

If the goal is mainly getting the test done then you should probably invest in some JLPT specific books and do lots of practice tests to get used to the time limit and the general structure of the test etc.

Since the books I personally used to prepare for N5, were provided by my teacher, I just know that the exam's website offers free N5 tests. Duolingo has also been recommended by nearly everyone I know, though I personally have no experience with it. I guess it is possible to do N5 while being a self-learner, but it differs from person to person. For me it was tough enough even after a 1.5  year of learning, although I'd done well on the sample tests prior to taking the exam. I recommend any beginner book that makes you interested (as a result, you remember grammar and vocabulary more easily), but I for one always have too many questions about what I read not to need a teacher. It may be different for others.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:50 AM, Defyingevanyuri27 said:

Anyone know any good free websites/apps to learn basic Japanese?

I thoroughly enjoy JA Sensei and especially the JA Audiobook. That is a masterpiece. Lots of fun, cute stories with translation, grammar explanation and coloured kanji levels. Though, I think it's not completely free. I got it in a Christmas sale. Check it out.

8 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

I thoroughly enjoy JA Sensei and especially the JA Audiobook. That is a masterpiece. Lots of fun, cute stories with translation, grammar explanation and coloured kanji levels. Though, I think it's not completely free. I got it in a Christmas sale. Check it out.

Thank you

I personally wouldn't recommend Duolingo. I didn't like the structure of the course, i felt like it would be a bit confusing for a beginner.

I think that getting to N5 by yourself is definitely possible :) so don't get discouraged.

15 hours ago, 4Nessie said:

Can you be more specific, or is that the actual name of the app/website?

As for getting the J5 done, while I think it's possible to study on one's own, there are just so many variables. I guess it's much easier for people who surround themselves with Japanese,  set aside enough time to learn, and have been interested in Japanese stuff for a long time. Not necessarily all at the same time. And individual talents of course.

1 hour ago, surimi said:

Can you be more specific, or is that the actual name of the app/website?

As for getting the J5 done, while I think it's possible to study on one's own, there are just so many variables. I guess it's much easier for people who surround themselves with Japanese,  set aside enough time to learn, and have been interested in Japanese stuff for a long time. Not necessarily all at the same time. And individual talents of course.

I got it as an android app, but it is from this website:

Spoiler

https://www.japan-activator.com

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Yuzu_GOAT said:

Is the Genki book worth purchasing for a beginner wanting to do n5?

I think so. Genki 1 is a good introductory book. We used that in our courses at University and I quite liked it.  But be sure to buy the Workbook too.