Japanese study group

Hydroblade

On 03/11/2017 at 5:38 AM, surimi said:

c) he rejects 'kara' (actually struck out all the 'kara's in my Genki workbook saying 'This definitely won't do!')) as too formal and insists I use 'node' + common verb form.

I was taught that ので is more formal than から by my native speaker teacher. O_o

I'm not sure of the difference exactly beyond that but I've picked up where one sounds more natural than the other in certain situations and I've felt that から can sound a bit more forceful. Googling just now has brought me to explanations about the distinction between the two, though. I'm not sure about the reliability of the sources but if you search "kara vs node" you can find a lot of discussions about it.

11 hours ago, katonice said:

More inspiration for us learners. 

I didn't know Yu Xiaoyu can speak Japanese!

Lovely that there are so many learners among skaters. :smile: And so proficient, wow.

Myself, I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who started learning only because of figure skating...

On 28. 11. 2017 at 5:53 PM, SparkleSalad said:

I was taught that ので is more formal than から by my native speaker teacher. O_o

I'm not sure of the difference exactly beyond that but I've picked up where one sounds more natural than the other in certain situations and I've felt that から can sound a bit more forceful. Googling just now has brought me to explanations about the distinction between the two, though. I'm not sure about the reliability of the sources but if you search "kara vs node" you can find a lot of discussions about it.

haha, mine actually drew a handy chart for me, saying that combined with polite verbs, both node and kara are formal, and combined with informal verb forms, node is neutral and the best option, whereas kara isn't polite and feels too chummy. But then, I've only just begun kara + informal past tense today and haven't read the relevant passage in Genki yet (blindly tried a workbook exercise in a section I haven't advanced to yet, cause I was on a long bus ride and bored), so I have no idea if that chart is true for other tenses than the present one.

1 hour ago, surimi said:

Lovely that there are so many learners among skaters. :smile: And so proficient, wow.

Myself, I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who started learning only because of figure skating...

haha, mine actually drew a handy chart for me, saying that combined with polite verbs, both node and kara are formal, and combined with informal verb forms, node is neutral and the best option, whereas kara isn't polite and feels too chummy. But then, I've only just begun kara + informal past tense today and haven't read the relevant passage in Genki yet (blindly tried a workbook exercise in a section I haven't advanced to yet, cause I was on a long bus ride and bored), so I have no idea if that chart is true for other tenses than the present one.

Oh, so it was the workbook that said kara was formal? Sorry, I misunderstood. Now I'm drowning in conversations about cause and effect and when to use which and historical arguments between linguists. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

8 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Oh, so it was the workbook that said kara was formal? Sorry, I misunderstood. Now I'm drowning in conversations about cause and effect and when to use which and historical arguments between linguists. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

No, you read correctly, it was my sensei who claimed kara was either too formal or too informal, and unsuitable either way. ;) But back when he said that, I was only learning the present tense, so I am not sure if his instructions to avoid kara are true for past tenses as well. But he approves of informal verb form + kara desu... So confusing. I wish my teacher and yours could sort this out together. ;)

:clap:

On 24/11/2017 at 6:33 PM, Danibellerika said:

Good for Kevin! I know how he feels when you notice marked progress. I noticed it at ACI especially when I was more talkative and I could understand better. It was a weird feeling!  He passed Japanese N2! Good for him!  I noticed my dictionary actually has a study section for all the N levels. Based on vocab I understand into the N3s so I gotta keep pressing on!  頑張ります!! 

I had no idea Kevin spoke Japanese, and he even passed N2

On 30/11/2017 at 1:18 AM, SparkleSalad said:

Aaaah I love to do those types of research! ** Especially if they manage to distract me from the real stuff I should be studying for uni

When using a study app, I came across だらけ, which means something is 'covered in'.

You put it behind the thing that is so abundantly covering something.

For instance:

ゴミだらけ = covered in trash

ゴミだらけの部屋=a room covered in trash

間違いだらけ=full of mistakes

間違いだらけのテスト=a test full of mistakes

そばかすだらけ=covered in freckles.

そばかすだらけの顔=a face covered in freckles.

• 4 weeks later...

:13877886:i took a pic of the letter i dropped for Yuzu in Montreal and i just realized i used a word i shouldn't have lmao. Oh well... i did say i was still learning so if he read it he will know it was a mistake haha and that i didn't mean anything weird lol

In other stuff i am going through one of the Narnia books (my favorite of the series) because i needed something way above my level to practice :P (and the narnia books have furigana so... yeah lol. I have Aoi Honoo2 but it gets tiring to consult the dictionary that much boo) and so far i'm doing better than expected. I am very slow because i am not used to reading in vertical orientation so i get confused every now and then haha, but i am able to imagine the stuff described (strangely, i imagine it differently from the time i read it in spanish) so i guess i'm not that lost haha. I've been learning a lot and i am just going to start the second chapter:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Also, anyone has tips to improve my handwriting, i am feeling strangely insecure about it eek

• 3 weeks later...
On 26. 12. 2017 at 10:48 PM, Hydroblade said:

In other stuff i am going through one of the Narnia books (my favorite of the series) because i needed something way above my level to practice :P (and the narnia books have furigana so... yeah lol. I have Aoi Honoo2 but it gets tiring to consult the dictionary that much boo) and so far i'm doing better than expected. I am very slow because i am not used to reading in vertical orientation so i get confused every now and then haha, but i am able to imagine the stuff described (strangely, i imagine it differently from the time i read it in spanish) so i guess i'm not that lost haha. I've been learning a lot and i am just going to start the second chapter:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Also, anyone has tips to improve my handwriting, i am feeling strangely insecure about it eek

If your teachers don't see anything wrong with your handwriting, I doubt anyone here can help. ;) It's been a while since I last saw one of our Japanese users in this thread. It appears it's just us learners now. But if you wrote the text in your sig, then wow, you're really very good. Myself, I am at the stage where I'm re-learning the kana to match the recommended order of strokes, and it's looks so ugly and started to affect the few kanji I write, meh. No advice here, lol, not for years to come.

Congrats on being able to read books! I read my first tale last week, one from the textbook and that's about my level. Yesterday, I took a translated article about Sota by IronKlaus to class with me that I found somewhere in the Team Japan thread here, and boy, was that very very hard... but fascinating at the same time. It's a great feeling to see the grammar that you only know from textbooks applied in real inteviews and actual media articles. At times like this I'm happy I have individual classes and don't have to see anyone eyeroll at me bringing up FS all the time...

So yesterday I started my new set of classes. They didn't start the new year offering 301 so I had to start at 302 and review 301 material on my own. It's more of the challenge I need though.  I can keep up but there are definitely people more advanced than me since they actually spent some time in Japan. And our sensei teaches entirely in Japanese which is good and she speaks as naturally as possible.  She speaks quickly and makes us read quickly.  Even in the 200 levels most instruction was in English.  I wish I could have studied more leading up to it but school takes priority as well as planning for PyeongChang. But this definitely motivates me to be on top of my game which I think is good to get me over the plateau I'd been feeling.