Japanese study group

Hydroblade

11 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

きれいなあああああ! I wanna do that too! 

A friend ordered a set online :biggrin: so you might be able to try it at home! This was after two hours of practice starting from horizontal and vertical strokes, you will prbably get better results 😂

7 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

A friend ordered a set online :biggrin: so you might be able to try it at home! This was after two hours of practice starting from horizontal and vertical strokes, you will prbably get better results 😂

So coool that you're doing those things in class... I am mostly kinda skipping Japanese class so far because they're doing, like, the basic kanji's and sample phrases like これは誰のかばんですか so I'm waiting for them to become a little more interesting... 

Spoiler

この間、好きな人と日本語で話すの練習するのが出来ればいいと思うけど。。。恥ずかし過ぎる。。。

47 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

So coool that you're doing those things in class... I am mostly kinda skipping Japanese class so far because they're doing, like, the basic kanji's and sample phrases like これは誰のかばんですか so I'm waiting for them to become a little more interesting... 

Hide contents

この間、好きな人と日本語で話すの練習するのが出来ればいいと思うけど。。。恥ずかし過ぎる。。。

Actually this wasn't at class. It's the Japanese association 文化祭 :biggrin: they're having various events during the week (including another cooking class on thursday boo, i can't go to that one) and yesterday it was Shodo workshop :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

In class we're making our explanations a bit more complex hahaha and lots of kanji :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Also nooo... Feeling awkward about speaking the language is a HUGE barrier. Talking to someone like that could be an incentive....

2 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Actually this wasn't at class. It's the Japanese association 文化祭 :biggrin: they're having various events during the week (including another cooking class on thursday boo, i can't go to that one) and yesterday it was Shodo workshop :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

In class we're making our explanations a bit more complex hahaha and lots of kanji :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Aaah that explains it! I have a Japanese Culture Institute in Rome but... nothing that interactive yet xD They do project a lot of movies. But it's always late at night and I'm so lazy to gooooo. 

7 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Aaah that explains it! I have a Japanese Culture Institute in Rome but... nothing that interactive yet xD They do project a lot of movies. But it's always late at night and I'm so lazy to gooooo. 

Well, that's where i take my classes :biggrin: every saturday my breakfast is something japanese that the teachers made :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: There were classes at uni but i never had time to go when i was studying, and after i graduated i could still sign up, but somehow i feel like the japanese association is more authentic, because we learn a lot of aspects about the culture by practicing (since i take the saturday class, my classes are 3 1/2 hours long). It's the most immersive environment i can get in this Pooh forsaken place :smiley-laughing021:

43 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Well, that's where i take my classes :biggrin: every saturday my breakfast is something japanese that the teachers made :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: There were classes at uni but i never had time to go when i was studying, and after i graduated i could still sign up, but somehow i feel like the japanese association is more authentic, because we learn a lot of aspects about the culture by practicing (since i take the saturday class, my classes are 3 1/2 hours long). It's the most immersive environment i can get in this Pooh forsaken place :smiley-laughing021:

It sounds ideal! And awww they cook for you! You should give them something tasty to return the favor as well! <3 Today I brought matcha brownies to my uni classmates and they appreciated a lot xD But okay this is not the cooking thread. 3 1/2 hours seems definitely intensive, I hope they give you a break in between xDDD But it's amazing!  

8 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

It sounds ideal! And awww they cook for you! You should give them something tasty to return the favor as well! <3 Today I brought matcha brownies to my uni classmates and they appreciated a lot xD But okay this is not the cooking thread. 3 1/2 hours seems definitely intensive, I hope they give you a break in between xDDD But it's amazing!  

They're the ones who give the cooking classes i've attended :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: maybe it's because they're japanese that they really want to give us as much as they can from the culture. And i just stare with jealousy at the japanese descendants because one day there was a screening of Ghost in the Shell and they made curry... and they were saying how they grew up eating that. Meanwhile i made curry for the first time when i was 19 :sadPooh: aah... Sorry, i have strong feelings over food hahahaha

We get a lunch break :biggrin: but sometimes i wish we didn't lol, i enjoy the classes a lot

6 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

They're the ones who give the cooking classes i've attended :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: maybe it's because they're japanese that they really want to give us as much as they can from the culture. And i just stare with jealousy at the japanese descendants because one day there was a screening of Ghost in the Shell and they made curry... and they were saying how they grew up eating that. Meanwhile i made curry for the first time when i was 19 :sadPooh: aah... Sorry, i have strong feelings over food hahahaha

We get a lunch break :biggrin: but sometimes i wish we didn't lol, i enjoy the classes a lot

I use the breaks to socialize and move my legs, so I need as many breaks as I can xD And I totally understand your strong feelings for food! But the foods you grew up with are also surely delicious and part of who you are, so we should always treasure those dear memories, while creating new ones with the extremely delicious food of the cultures we study. Japanese way of eating has helped me a lot, in terms of enjoying each bite I take, and trying to eat different things during each meal, to satiate my various cravings xD Of course, my primary instinct is STILL to boil a huge potato, mash it with my fork, and put butter and cheese in it and eat it from a bowl and let that be my lunch. But, you know. I'll limit those times to Angsty nights only. 

Question for fellow learners as I'm at a loss what to learn and what not ('learn everything' looks like the most realistic solution at this point -_- ). Here's the thing, I'm taking classes with a native speaker, and sometimes he disagrees with what the textbooks say and with what my previous teacher (non-native) taught us. I can think  of 3 examples at this point: a) he insists I use 'wa' in negations, even when textbooks use 'ga' or 'o' (before 'suki janai desu' etc), b) he tells me not to use 'no' between numeratives and nouns (would that make 'shichinin no samurai' an outdated movie name, then?), and c) he rejects 'kara' (actually struck out all the 'kara's in my Genki workbook saying 'This definitely won't do!')) as too formal and insists I use 'node' + common verb form.

Now, I believe what he says, and take his word for it that normal people don't talk like that in the street. But at the same time, I'd like to take an exam in basic Japanese in the future. What suggestions should I follow, those of the textbooks or those of my teacher? Would I pass an exam without learning those particular grammar rules that he rejects? Advice of more experienced students would be greatly appreciated...

29 minutes ago, surimi said:

Question for fellow learners as I'm at a loss what to learn and what not ('learn everything' looks like the most realistic solution at this point -_- ). Here's the thing, I'm taking classes with a native speaker, and sometimes he disagrees with what the textbooks say and with what my previous teacher (non-native) taught us. I can think  of 3 examples at this point: a) he insists I use 'wa' in negations, even when textbooks use 'ga' or 'o' (before 'suki janai desu' etc), b) he tells me not to use 'no' between numeratives and nouns (would that make 'shichinin no samurai' an outdated movie name, then?), and c) he rejects 'kara' (actually struck out all the 'kara's in my Genki workbook saying 'This definitely won't do!')) as too formal and insists I use 'node' + common verb form.

Now, I believe what he says, and take his word for it that normal people don't talk like that in the street. But at the same time, I'd like to take an exam in basic Japanese in the future. What suggestions should I follow, those of the textbooks or those of my teacher? Would I pass an exam without learning those particular grammar rules that he rejects? Advice of more experienced students would be greatly appreciated...

I'm not that more experienced, but the things he's telling you to change aren't completely wrong. I use 'kara' all the time speaking with natives (whom are used to correct me) and they are not really bothered by it. BUT, I don't hear them using it that often, so, you know, your teacher is kinda right. Also, in the Genki book, I also have written that for negations, you should always use wa, so that is exactly what they teach you in the book. 

Exams for basic Japanese, I can think of the JLPT N5 or N4. There, it doesn't matter if you use kara or no de, it mostly tests your overall comprehension abilities, your vocabulary and your listening abilities. 

59 minutes ago, surimi said:

a) i... haven't noticed this :headdesk:i'm not sure if i use ha or ga/wo for negatives...

b) Hmm... using "no" between numeratives and nouns feels weird for me. I use it because i don't know better, or if i know the counter (more often than not...) i just use number+counter+noun. Not sure if that's right but it feels better than using "no" (i say: 1000の白鳥 bc i'm not sure if the counter 羽 is the correct one for 白鳥。 In case it is then it would be 千羽白鳥... But i'm pretty sure 1000の白鳥 isn't correct).

c) I've heard both but personally i use から more often than ので, but that's because i guess i've heard it more, otherwise i wouldn't use it. At school we're still using から so maybe it has to do with certain situations or stuff? Maybe your teacher is right and it's a bit more formal.

The "learn everything" approach might be good but... You might end up like me, with a very fragmented knowledge of the language and no real understanding of the grammar until someone comes and explains it to you hahaha.

Hi! I really want to learn Japanse, but I have to learn it myself because we don't have lessons at school and I don't know any Japanese person😞 I don't know where to begin:13877886: Do you have a tips? That would be very helpful :bow:.

7 minutes ago, Sofie said:

Hi! I really want to learn Japanse, but I have to learn it myself because we don't have lessons at school and I don't know any Japanese person😞 I don't know where to begin:13877886: Do you have a tips? That would be very helpful :bow:.

Buy a work/study/grammar book for starters! Books are really good for self-studying c: That takes care of grammar. Then, I'd say try to throw yourself into as much Japanese stuff as you can manage. Anime, Tv dramas, movies, you name it. Listening to the same things over and over again will get you going with the mindset. I'd say, feed your learning cravings as much as you can! Finding natives to speak Japanese with is the second step, I guess. Or, if you prefer something more immediate, I'd say find a native Japanese that gives out Japanese lessons, either on Skype or something like this! 

18 minutes ago, Sofie said:

• I think that the first thing you can do is learn hiragana+katakana.
  • Learn common words (greetings, colors, numbers, how to say "triple jump" and "quadruple jump", days of the week, family members, honorifics)
  • Try to use hiragana+katakana as much as possible, this way you will gradually start to read faster. If you use romaji too much you can make a bad habit out of it.
  • Don't stress too much about learning kanji at first.
  • If you want to practice your reading with articles and stuff, download Rikai-kun (for chrome) or Rikai chan (for firefox)
  • Like @Murieleirum said, watch anime, dramas, listen to music, watch japanese tv to help with your listening skills
  • That will also help you to start building your vocabulary
  • You can easily find books on the internet, at school we're using Minna no Nihongo but Genki is also a common one.
  • There are some graded readers on the internet too, you can read along the recording and this way you can improve your pronunciation and practice your reading/comprehension skills :) 
  • It's ok to be frustrated. Since you are learning on your own, it can get a bit difficult to measure your progress, plus, if you get the books, there will be some things you can't understand from the grammar points. Personally i recommend that you do a bit of research before using the books: listen to the language for a while so you can make a bit more sense of the grammar patterns without the explanations, it will make it easier when you read it and you will say "oh, i have heard this before". This gives you a bit of context and can help you figure out the situations where you can apply those points.
  • You will gradually start to understand more and more. There will come a point where you will be able to tell when they leave things out of the subtitles, even if you don't understand 100% of what they said. Then, you will be able to watch stuff without paying too much attention to the subtitles. Eventually you can watch without subtitles, and still understand a lot of what's being said even if you don't understand 100% of it.
It's hard to learn on your own, but it's definitely possible :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:  just think of all the possibilities that will open up to you when you start understanding the language!