Other Sports

sallycinnamon

Rikako Ikee has returned to the swimming pool :smiley-sad021: :yay:

"I finally got the permission from the doctor of the hospital and I was able to get into the pool. It seems this was the first time in 406 days! I'm so glad, feel good and happy that I can't express in words.
New viruses are spreading all over Japan and around the world. We, including myself, do infection prevention and other countermeasures firmly, and I hope it will come to an end as soon as possible.” 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

:smiley-happy085: so much excitement- the Teams rescheduled fixtures are popping up on the iPhone calendars- there’s going to be back to back matches for days ....... I am going to be sooooo bored :sleepy:

• 2 weeks later...

I feel so shocked and sad today. One of the biggest sports heroes of my country, Tibor Benedek, 3-time Olympic champion waterpolo player, has died today at the age of 47. Such tragic news, and an irreplaceable loss.

Tibor won three consecutive Olympic titles (2000, 2004 and 2008) with his team and he also lead the national team as a coach to gold medal at Worlds 2013.

He was a very humble person who once said that he didn't really stood out in anything - he struggled with illnesses as a child and later as an adult, in his opinion he wasn't particularly excellent at handling the ball, or swimming and many advised him to give up the sport -  but he always, always wanted to win the most, and that was his talent. He has always been very self-critical who aimed for more than 100% every time he was in the pool. He was known for his diligence and sportsmanship and he was respected by everyone because he was not only a great athlete but also a very kind person.

He never said anything about his illness because he wanted to keep it private but we knew something was not right. 

Life is so fragile.  I am so sorry that someone who was such a big fighter, couldn't win the biggest battle of his life. He will be missed so much.

I grew up watching him play and cheering for him  and his team. Waterpolo may not be a very popular sport in the world but it's very popular where I live, I would say my country is the GOAT in this sport.

The news came one day after another 3-time Olympic champion (1952, 1956, 1964) waterpolo player, Gyorgy Karpati has died, aged 84. 

:cry:

A heartbreaking farewell message from one of main rivals of Tibor Benedek:

Sigh, I wish something more positive happened in the world...

Rewatching the 2013 MAG WC - wanted the 2015 Glasgow one but only the FIG version seems to be on YouTube these days and the commentator was soooo bad.   I can’t see how gymnastics can come back in the near future- too hard to keep the equipment clean between competitors, especially the parallel bars with all the custom gunk they all plaster on to get a good grip. ☹️

11 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Rewatching the 2013 MAG WC - wanted the 2015 Glasgow one but only the FIG version seems to be on YouTube these days and the commentator was soooo bad.   I can’t see how gymnastics can come back in the near future- too hard to keep the equipment clean between competitors, especially the parallel bars with all the custom gunk they all plaster on to get a good grip. ☹️

Maybe there could be tests, to see how long virus can survive with that gunk and magnesia? I'd say not long...

Reception mattresses may be more problematic, as their "normal" cleaning is already not that easy, mycosis remaining not so rare, and I tend to think they may suffer from this chemistry. And, maybe worse, the floor apparatus carpet?

3 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

Omg, just found out that Novak Djokovic and his wife have the damn virus ... man ... and Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Corici and Victor Troikci, too ... all tested positive at Adria Tour, that tennis tournament organized by Nole in Serbia... Speedy recovery everyone ...

Well, he was... reckless, to put it mildly. Along with many people there. 

17 minutes ago, Fay said:

Well, he was... reckless, to put it mildly. Along with many people there. 

Ikr? And when  I saw all those ppl together in the venue, without masks, no distancing what so ever, I was like : is this really happening now? Like now now?? OMG These guys are crazy ...

And the ATP/WTA tournaments were supposed to start in August ... who knows what will happen now ...

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

Maybe there could be tests, to see how long virus can survive with that gunk and magnesia? I'd say not long...

Reception mattresses may be more problematic, as their "normal" cleaning is already not that easy, mycosis remaining not so rare, and I tend to think they may suffer from this chemistry. And, maybe worse, the floor apparatus carpet?

They all use different things - chalk certainly, but sticky things like honey, beer, syrup  and I believe ....... saliva 🦠