Other Sports

sallycinnamon

On 2017. 05. 22. at 07:53, kaaaaaaat said:

Tennis for me! Been a fan of Rafa since his early years--didn't like him at first, hah, but after seeing him play a few matches I got won over. Bummed he lost in the Rome Masters but I"m hopeful for Roland Garros.

I'm hopeful for Roland Garros too, he has a very good chance to win it for the 10th time. :smile:

On 2017. 05. 27. at 13:21, dreamelena said:

When I was younger I used to follow football (soccer in US lol) and even stayed up late night just to watch some games lol. I've also followed F1 and motoGP and now still am.. Monaco GP this weekend!!

I also watch tennis sometimes.. used to watch more. My favorite is Federer. :POOH:

I think that's pretty much it.. 

I usually watch the Monaco GP but last weekend I completely missed it...Do you have favourite drivers?

This past few days I found more articles about Indy 500 than than F1 which is really unusual, because usually in my country there are hardly any news about Indycar/Indy 500.

2 hours ago, wildstrawberry said:

My biggest and happiest memory in sports as a whole is from when Italy's football NT won the World Cup in 2006.I've always been a fan of the Italian national team(I'm not Italian),but in particular that generation of players(DelPiero,Nesta,Buffon,F.Cannavaro etc),many of whom I had been following since they had become European Champions with the Under-21 team some years before winning the World Cup as senior players.I don't think I have ever screamed as much as I screamed that night(i was so invested in them,I couldn't watch the penalty kicks in the final),omg THE PURE JOY AND HAPPINESS i felt that night!A few years ago,I stopped watching football tho because the players I've grown up with got older and r****d and Iittle by little i started to lose interest.

Another sport I've watched a lot for many years was tennis,Rafa Nadal is one of my faves,but some years ago i stopped following tennis too.

I started to watch figure skating when i was 12 and it was one of the sports i never missed when the European Championships,Worlds and Olympics were on.Sometimes after the Plushenko/Yagudin era i stopped with this too(was never a fan of the ladies category,men's and ice-dance have always been my faves,so the appeal of the Yuna/Mao rivalry was lost on me).I'm now back because of Yuzu and it's the only sport I'm currently following.And ofc now I'm totally obsessing over Yuzu,it was love at first sight,he entered with a supernatural force into my life,and threw me again into the sweet hell of losing sleep and watching every move and worrying like crazy after a beloved sportsman.Worlds 2017 was one of the happiest moments in my life,I'm so invested in him it's scaring me at this point.If he wins Olympics again,I'll have another Italy football team winning the 2006 WC moment,I'm sure of it.

I cheered for the Italian team in 2006, too! There were so many great players in the national team back then. I was very lucky because that I was in Italy when they won the World Cup and I'll never forget how crazily and loud people were celebrating on the streets. It was great to witness it. :)

You wouldn't like to cheer to Rafa to win his 10th RG title? :)

The bolded part is :0011: My feelings exactly.

6 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Simona Halep is in R3 at RG!! :clap: She has a good chance for the week 2!!!

Yes, absolutely. It'd be a big surprise if she didn't reach the quarterfinals - though in the 4th round she could play against Suarez Navarro who is quite good on clay and reached the QF twice on RG. But the next player who is technically near Simona's level is Svitolina, they could meet in the QF next week.

I couldn't really watch RG so far, but the first week is usually not that interesting, and I miss Federer from the tournament...

But next week will be exciting! :agree:

4 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Yes, absolutely. It'd be a big surprise if she didn't reach the quarterfinals - though in the 4th round she could play against Suarez Navarro who is quite good on clay and reached the QF twice on RG. But the next player who is technically near Simona's level is Svitolina, they could meet in the QF next week.

I couldn't really watch RG so far, but the first week is usually not that interesting, and I miss Federer from the tournament...

But next week will be exciting! :agree:

I miss Fed too, but we'll see him soon 'cause I've heard that he will play 3 tournaments on grass!! :clap:

And yay for my Simona!!!!

5 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

I miss Fed too, but we'll see him soon 'cause I've heard that he will play 3 tournaments on grass!! :clap:

And yay for my Simona!!!!

Yes, he definitely skipped RG to focus more on the preparation for the grass season. I'll cheer for him so much to win his 8th Wimbledon title.

2 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

David Goffin just had a very nasty fall and seems that he can't continue ... :facepalm:. So sorry, I like him very much ... 

I have just seen that he WD. I wish him a speedy recovery. Clay is a dangerous surface because it's fast and slippery and it's easy to get injured...

15 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

I usually watch the Monaco GP but last weekend I completely missed it...Do you have favourite drivers?

This past few days I found more articles about Indy 500 than than F1 which is really unusual, because usually in my country there are hardly any news about Indycar/Indy 500.

Hm.. not really I mean I don't think I can say I have any favorite but if I have to pick, I gotta go with Raikkonen lol. Idk he just intrigues me.. he's interesting and his random blurts or comments sometimes are hilarious, though pissy sounding :laughing:. (OOT but I kinda feel bad for him in Monaco..)

Yea I guess because Alonso ditched Monaco to race in Indy500.. he actually was doing pretty great, until he had to stop because of the engine blew up (or something like that).

18 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

I cheered for the Italian team in 2006, too! There were so many great players in the national team back then. I was very lucky because that I was in Italy when they won the World Cup and I'll never forget how crazily and loud people were celebrating on the streets. It was great to witness it. :)

You wouldn't like to cheer to Rafa to win his 10th RG title? :)

The bolded part is :0011: My feelings exactly.

I would very much like to do that,but,unfortunately,in my last days of being a sports fanatic,I had a terrible record when I decided to support someone in real time(=watching live broadcast).It was one of the reasons that contributed to my alienation from sports because it was just too heartbreaking to see that every time I wanted to watch a decisive game/important competition,my favorite team/sportsman ended up losing.Obviously,it wasn't always like this,but the last couple of years before giving up were brutal.I haven't watched a sports event live for 3-4 years before this year's 4cc men's SP.:slinkaway:

So,it's been many years since I watched Rafa playing and I miss it.But I would definitely love to see him win Rolland Garros for the 10th time,he is the King Of Clay after all and he deserves it.:5918bdab25712_0006(1):

So yeah,I'm actually considering it,BUT...

Maybe I'll do it.After all,tennis is a sport way less cruel than figure skating or even football.

Just posted in the 'favourite warhorse' performance thread which got me thinking. Did anyone else have the 'magical thinking' experience of watching sport as a child/ young teenager?  I never lost sleep over John Curry because it never occurred to me that he wouldn't win ( unlike YH!)  same for Arthur Ashe v J Connors.  I think I began to realise when I wanted Martina Navratilova to beat Chris Evert that my wishes were not necessarily going to be fulfilled!

7 hours ago, dreamelena said:

Hm.. not really I mean I don't think I can say I have any favorite but if I have to pick, I gotta go with Raikkonen lol. Idk he just intrigues me.. he's interesting and his random blurts or comments sometimes are hilarious, though pissy sounding :laughing:. (OOT but I kinda feel bad for him in Monaco..)

Yea I guess because Alonso ditched Monaco to race in Indy500.. he actually was doing pretty great, until he had to stop because of the engine blew up (or something like that).

Yes, it seems to me Raikkönen is the only guy in the F1 now who usually says what he wants to say. :laughing: And yes, it was an unusual thing that Alonso missed the Monaco GP and chose to race in the Indy 500 :smile: Maybe it was one reason why there were so many news and articles about the competition (I mean here in Europe, because in the Us/Canada it is, of course a very popular competition).

5 hours ago, wildstrawberry said:

I would very much like to do that,but,unfortunately,in my last days of being a sports fanatic,I had a terrible record when I decided to support someone in real time(=watching live broadcast).It was one of the reasons that contributed to my alienation from sports because it was just too heartbreaking to see that every time I wanted to watch a decisive game/important competition,my favorite team/sportsman ended up losing.Obviously,it wasn't always like this,but the last couple of years before giving up were brutal.I haven't watched a sports event live for 3-4 years before this year's 4cc men's SP.:slinkaway:

So,it's been many years since I watched Rafa playing and I miss it.But I would definitely love to see him win Rolland Garros for the 10th time,he is the King Of Clay after all and he deserves it.:5918bdab25712_0006(1):

So yeah,I'm actually considering it,BUT...

Maybe I'll do it.After all,tennis is a sport way less cruel than figure skating or even football.

It's unfortunate...I know what you mean though. There were shorter periods when all my favourite athletes/teams lose and it was so frustrating and disappointing. :slinkaway:

I think Rafa has a very good chance to win RG again since 2014!

Tennis may look less cruel, but I still don't know how these top players are able to fly around the world for almost whole year, adjust the different time zones, compete almost every day and play often 2-3 or even 4 hour matches. This is what I find really difficult about this sport.

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

Just posted in the 'favourite warhorse' performance thread which got me thinking. Did anyone else have the 'magical thinking' experience of watching sport as a child/ young teenager?  I never lost sleep over John Curry because it never occurred to me that he wouldn't win ( unlike YH!)  same for Arthur Ashe v J Connors.  I think I began to realise when I wanted Martina Navratilova to beat Chris Evert that my wishes were not necessarily going to be fulfilled!

When I was a kid and I watched my first season of Formula One (1996), I never thought Damon Hill wouldn't win the World Championships title! I thought he was invincible. After he won the same happened to me with Jacques Villeneuve the next year. Then from the 1998 season I had to realize that my favourites won't always win, unfortunately.

It was nothing compared to what happened in 1999, when one of my favourite racing drivers died. It made me realize about so many things about car racing, sports and life in general...

U.K. football season over but it seems there is still the Champions League, Lions tour and of course the bloody cricket - tend to forget that in the winter.  Another boring Saturday evening.  No local interest but it's interesting that there are still some strong prejudices among the family vis a vis European football and international cricket/rugby.  Seems if you like team sports you can always find a side to love/ hate.

21 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

When I was a kid and I watched my first season of Formula One (1996), I never thought Damon Hill wouldn't win the World Championships title! I thought he was invincible. After he won the same happened to me with Jacques Villeneuve the next year. Then from the 1998 season I had to realize that my favourites won't always win, unfortunately.

It was nothing compared to what happened in 1999, when one of my favourite racing drivers died. It made me realize about so many things about car racing, sports and life in general...

I was going to say I'm lucky that none of the sports I've followed involves that kind of risk - then remembered JT McNamara. I suppose the only comfort is that it was what they loved doing and to them the risks must have been worth it.  

On 6/3/2017 at 00:15, sallycinnamon said:

It's unfortunate...I know what you mean though. There were shorter periods when all my favourite athletes/teams lose and it was so frustrating and disappointing. :slinkaway:

I think Rafa has a very good chance to win RG again since 2014!

Tennis may look less cruel, but I still don't know how these top players are able to fly around the world for almost whole year, adjust the different time zones, compete almost every day and play often 2-3 or even 4 hour matches. This is what I find really difficult about this sport.

Yes,I know that and I don't deny that it's also a difficult sport,but what I meant was that for figure skating there's basically a 'sudden death' happening in case of failure at a competition,they have 2.30/4.30 minutes to give their best and all their months' work must culminate in those few minutes,and they are all alone on ice.While in tennis for example,they have considerably more time,making even several mistakes is not so costly,sometimes they can go back from losing one or two sets and end up winning,plus they always can speculate their adversary's mistakes,and basically they have many shots at turning things around during a game(Football,being a team sport is even better in that regard,but football shouldn't really be compared with fs exactly bc of the team aspect.The best comparison between fs and other sport is probably gymnastics).

That is why I said that I find tennis and football way less cruel as a sport compared to fs,and,frankly,the above mentioned details also make it easier for a simple supporter(=me,at least) to digest/accept the result without feeling utterly shocked and heartbroken.

*Speaking of 'sudden death',I just remembered how Italy NT lost the EURO 2000 because of the 'golden goal' rule,and how depressed I was because of that.'Sudden death' in sports is really not for me,I'm too weak :Sad: