Other Sports

sallycinnamon

ISU and JSU aren’t the only ones trading on past glory by using the GOATs phone - just been browsing the World Gymnastics Championships ticketing website and they’ve got Uchimura on the ticketing page - some people are impossible to replace whatever means the powers that be might use…..

Aaand I’ve spent a ton of money for a ticket for the mens AA right in front of the horizontal bar.  Should be good.  I have no favourites (apart from a lingering affection for Team Japan) so should be stress free.

Sad but not unexpected that Roger has decided to retire. I will miss watching him on the tournament. Others may have more Grand Slam titles but no one has a longer career with the most successes overall, and a beautiful style of playing, only Roger - to me he is the GOAT.

I've followed him since the very early 00s when he first started to gain attention with some smaller victories and a ponytail (which at that time always reminded me of Carlos Moya's long hair). I even went to a smaller ATP competition and watched him play well before his first Grand Slam victory. He played some of the best matches in the history, especially with Nadal. I wish him all the best and I look forward what the future will bring to him  :tumblr_llidknnxec1qzbrv5:

I don't exactly follow chess closely, but with the drama currently brewing I can't help but keep an eye on it 🙈

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/20/carlsen-v-niemann-the-cheating-row-that-is-rocking-chess-explained

I don't really have much to say — Magnus Carlsen's complaint does seem like a tantrum after he pulled out from the latest match after just two moves. That said, I am also of the opinion that it is hard to look at H. Niemann (challenger to Carlsen) as someone who's playing clean and fairly now, especially after known record of cheating earlier in his career.

Federer... ah, my absolute favourite. To have Yuzu and Roger retire in the same year is tough. The body doesn't always do what you like, but as always, his reaction, announcement, the way he's going out... playing WITH  Rafa... is perfect. There is no better ambassador for tennis, or sport, than Roger. Even how he talked about GOATs ( him vs rafa or novak), comparing incomparables like winning young vs. Longevity.... and saying Switzerland has many goats in the fields, was perfect.

As for GOAT, I am content saying the 3 of them are the best trio because they all achieved amazing results, with different stats, all against each other, which is bonkers...  it cannot be just about Slam totals.  I think it's personal preference with those 3, with mine being Fed,but they all have numbers and achievements to back up claims of GOAT  status. 

I feel lucky to have witnessed them, esp Rafa vs Roger. 

As for the future... Alcaraz a and Sinner are looking darned good.... throw in some Ruud, Tiafoe, Felix.... and other as yet unknowns... tennis is finally finding  some new heirs to the Big 3. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rafa Nadal and his wife Maria had their baby boy this morning!! 

baby's name is....... Rafael Nadal Perello (I think it's very common for first boys to be called after their dad in Spain)

Translation:  He is born!  Rafael Nadal Perelló is here! Congratulations to Mery and Rafa with all my heart! We love you!

• 4 weeks later...

Watching the FIG worlds mens team event - why do the commentators insist on jinxing competitors by talking them up ?   I much preferred it when team GB weren’t contenders - they’ve picked up the ghastly US habit of yelling support (which wasn’t helping the guy who fell twice off the pommel horse - ‘their’ apparatus 🙄)and nor were the commentators.   Son no 2 has brought me a g&t to calm me down

I am badly missing Kohei’s impassive game face … at least Team Japan don’t yell at each other.

M Chopin is with me but has turned his back on the noise - I think he prefers skaters

Just got back from the mens AA - satisfactory result, Japan 1&3, Hashimoto, Zhang,Tanigawa.  Enjoyed my first live competition very much, possibly because I wasn’t really invested until the last round, I was right by the high bar and all three of them did well.  Hashimoto is a worthy successor to Uchimura- good consistent results all the way round.  He can’t do it every time though.    I do wish that these events would refrain from strobe lights.  It isn’t really necessary and makes it v uncomfortable for those of us with certain sensitivities.  

The arena was only two thirds full.  I watched the Glasgow WC in 2015 and it was packed to the rafters.  The organisations and the fed politicians and the more entitled US fans might want new faces all the time, but the public likes to see goats and no one can tell me that KU isn’t the goat of artistic gymnastics- unbeaten in the AA for two Olympic cycles.  There’s a reason his face is still on the posters and his routines are screenshotted in the ads.

Next week my first ever figure skating competition- this time I will have company, which might be nice, might be annoying - neither of the people who are splitting my spare ticket are FS fans and it will be annoying if they decide that Daniel Grassl is a fabulous skater…..

Edit:- I wasn’t moved to buy any merchandise.

• 2 months later...