Other Sports

sallycinnamon

I don't exactly follow tennis closely but I vaguely know for a long while that Novak Djokovic is disliked by many people for his *antics* including apparently by the Serbs themselves??? whoa , but this incident just drives the point home of how much of a mess™ he is... O_o

For the first time in months the roar of ‘YEESSSS’ erupts from below as the nearest rivals concede a goal - will this be The Teams night - and will the fans be sensible if it is ......

and it’s over - fireworks and hooters all over the city

Japanese baseball and soccer fans will be allowed again, at half the stadium capacity, and are asked to avoid screaming. I wonder if they will refrain.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/06/e28b9ba0cbf0-japans-pro-baseball-soccer-leagues-to-admit-fans-from-july-10.html

I tend to think Yuzuru Hanyu will avoid such attendance, in spite of his love of baseball.

Kohei Uchimura will aim for Tokyo Olympics focusing on only the horizontal bar.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200626/p2g/00m/0sp/150000c

"It's not like I'll go to the Olympics by myself. And if I go to the Olympics, I want to take myself and people around me there comfortably. If I think in that way, I feel like I don't need my pride that I have to do 6 events. Focusing on only horizontal bar, it doesn't mean it is easy physically but it is going to be less burden than doing 6 events, and it was fun more than anything. I feel I have been doing gymnastics for the first time in a long time and can move (my body) as I want."

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

...is it bad if I say I am not surprised seeing that similar thing unfolded in the K-pop industry at large unfolded at the triathlete sphere (...and possibly other branches of sports as well) in S. Korea? :( :(

7 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

...is it bad if I say I am not surprised seeing that similar thing unfolded in the K-pop industry at large unfolded at the triathlete sphere (...and possibly other branches of sports as well) in S. Korea? :( :(

I know there was a thing with the women's short track speed skating too...just makes me shake my head. 

• 2 weeks later...

The third race of the Formula 1 season will be this weekend in my city. I watched a video about how they organised the Grand Prix for the weekend, and there are so many strict rules regarding Covid-19. Each team has their own Covid testing point, because racers and other team members need to get tested every 4 days. It's all well prepared so far, but of course F1 and the teams have the resources. It'll be the 35th Hungarian GP and the first one without audience, which'll be so unusual. I went to the city centre in the past days to go for a walk and usually there are so many tourists at this time of the year. There are still some tourists but it isn't comparable to what we usually have here.

I hope everything will go safely in the next coming days.

18 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

The third race of the Formula 1 season will be this weekend in my city. I watched a video about how they organised the Grand Prix for the weekend, and there are so many strict rules regarding Covid-19. Each team has their own Covid testing point, because racers and other team members need to get tested every 4 days. It's all well prepared so far, but of course F1 and the teams have the resources. It'll be the 35th Hungarian GP and the first one without audience, which'll be so unusual. I went to the city centre in the past days to go for a walk and usually there are so many tourists at this time of the year. There are still some tourists but it isn't comparable to what we usually have here.

I hope everything will go safely in the next coming days.

If sensible safety measures (CoViD-wise and racing-wise...) are taken, I don't see why all shouldn't go well. Streets crowded with tourists would not be that safe...

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

If sensible safety measures (CoViD-wise and racing-wise...) are taken, I don't see why all shouldn't go well. Streets crowded with tourists would not be that safe...

Well hopefully things will go well. 2 people tested positive yesterday at the ring, they weren't team members though, maybe they were people from the media. 

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile, in the tennis world, many players apparently continue to display a complete lack of common sense. Need we remind them that several players contracted covid this summer already? Very disappointed by their entitlement. 

This is a sharp contrast with Rafael Nadal (current champion) and Ashleigh Barty (world #1) who both decided not to come. Several other players withdrew. 

I hate that money and ranking issues may push players who would otherwise withdraw to play. Especially the lower-ranked ones. The decision is coerced in many ways.

2 hours ago, Veveco said:

Meanwhile, in the tennis world, many players apparently continue to display a complete lack of common sense. Need we remind them that several players contracted covid this summer already? Very disappointed by their entitlement. 

This is a sharp contrast with Rafael Nadal (current champion) and Ashleigh Barty (world #1) who both decided not to come. Several other players withdrew. 

I hate that money and ranking issues may push players who would otherwise withdraw to play. Especially the lower-ranked ones. The decision is coerced in many ways.

Does this mean they don't want a quarantine at all, or that they want adapted safety measures allowing them to practice?

You are right, if rules are not clear and efficient, some will feel forced to play, with stress — and stress makes it all more dangerous.

56 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Does this mean they don't want a quarantine at all, or that they want adapted safety measures allowing them to practice?

You are right, if rules are not clear and efficient, some will feel forced to play, with stress — and stress makes it all more dangerous.

From this tweet it sounds like they want to be exempt from quarantine. Which is ridiculous because (aside from the very obvious risk for public health that the us open is going to be), these rules are government decisions, the USTA has no power there so what do they expect the organizers to do? They just sound entitled. Granted, the ATP/WTA aren't exactly exemplary either.

:14066882: