Other Sports

sallycinnamon

OH man. So painful to watch. I couldn't sit still. Roger should have won this match, but some errors and poor decision making on the big points cost him... like his decision to come to the net on one of his match points, only to get passed. I thought he was better for the majority of the match.... well, congrats to Novak. You can't play an epic without having another talented person on the other side of the net. I just wish Federer would win one of these epic matches for a change....  2008 haunted him, and this one will too.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:20 PM, liv said:

OH man. So painful to watch. I couldn't sit still. Roger should have won this match, but some errors and poor decision making on the big points cost him... like his decision to come to the net on one of his match points, only to get passed. I thought he was better for the majority of the match.... well, congrats to Novak. You can't play an epic without having another talented person on the other side of the net. I just wish Federer would win one of these epic matches for a change....  2008 haunted him, and this one will too.

I feel Roger lost it more than Novak won it. Overall he played better but as you say, in the most crucial points including his championships ball he made very costly errors. But congrats to Nole as well, his mental strength is quite fantastic.

Hope it won't haunt Roger as much as 2008...but it was really painful to watch as a fan. :cry:

He said he's skipping Montreal and we'll see him in Cincinnati next time. Physical recovery will take some time.

And now that Wimbledon is over, I'll focus on some other sports the next few weeks. Fencing World Championships is this week in my city, it's a qualifying event for the Olympics. Aquatics Worlds is something that I always enjoy to watch, too. It has started last week and Hungary won the first gold medal, I am really happy about that. One touching moment was that when he won the gold medal, he put his medal around the neck of a Sudani swimmer who finished 61st - last place. The officials wanted the Sudani swimmer to stop because he reached the time limit of the race, but he insisted finishing the 5km distance. So the gold medalist went to him after the race and told him he's a champion, too because he didn't give up and finished the race -  and he put his gold medal around his neck.

We have many great swimmers, and water polo is also strong (though not as strong as 10-15 years ago when our men's team won three consecutive Olympic golds!). Canoeing Worlds - another qualifying competition for Tokyo 2020 -  is coming in August in my country and I have a ticket for one day. :) And when that one is over, we'll have the first junior Grand Prix event, so the figure skating season will start then!

14 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

This makes me sad. He said no one remembers you if you lead 90% of the race but you finish 10th in the end.

This is so sad indeed... I hope, he's fine  :grouphug:

I'm happy for Katinka, she seems to be in good shape and I wish her all the best for the 200m medley final.

I'm not sure who was my highlight today: Adam Peaty's new world record in the semis or Titmus beating Ledecky over 400m :headdesk:

3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

This is so sad indeed... I hope, he's fine  :grouphug:

I'm happy for Katinka, she seems to be in good shape and I wish her all the best for the 200m medley final.

I'm not sure who was my highlight today: Adam Peaty's new world record in the semis or Titmus beating Ledecky over 400m :headdesk:

I am sad for Gege because he really had a good chance to be a World Champion here and the asthma attack came the worst time. What he said about his grandparents and how they motivated him to finish the race was touching. He always lived in the shadow of his Olympic champion brother - who's very supportive of him - so a (gold) medal would've been such a big success for him.

Katinka seems to be in good form at her first Worlds without her ex husband-coach, she's ahead of the field by 2 seconds on 200m medley. Hope everything goes well tomorrow.

Peaty is crazy good...a WR already in the semifinal :O And I was happy about Ledecky losing the 400m freestyle final...I was cheering for Ajna who narrowly missed the podium, by 0.02 second. She's improving steadily so a medal next year would be very good.

50 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

And I was happy about Ledecky losing the 400m freestyle final...I was cheering for Ajna who narrowly missed the podium, by 0.02 second. She's improving steadily so a medal next year would be very good.

I really felt for Ajna today. Missing the podium by just 0.02 sec is so cruel...

PS: I don't wish anything bad for anyone, but Katie's brutal dominance over the last years was really spooky to me. With her personal bests over 800m and 1500m she could have qualified in some men's fields... :13877886:

Shane Lowry wins the Open in NI - not a big golf fan but I love it when there’s a local underdog winner and the big names choke - McIlroy, Woods and so on.  Nice to see Tommy Fleetwood in second.  I also like to see it played in bad weather on an old fashioned links course - takes it back to its roots.  It shouldn’t always be on a manicured course designed by a big name in perfect weather somewhere like Florida.

On 7/21/2019 at 7:30 PM, Henni147 said:

I really felt for Ajna today. Missing the podium by just 0.02 sec is so cruel...

PS: I don't wish anything bad for anyone, but Katie's brutal dominance over the last years was really spooky to me. With her personal bests over 800m and 1500m she could have qualified in some men's fields... :13877886:

She's really dominant that's why it surprised me she lost in 400m. Tokyo will be very exciting..  

Btw dominance: Katinka won gold in 200 m medley and she became the first woman who won the same event at four different World Championships. It was her 61st consecutive victory in 200 m medley -  she is unbeaten since 2012. That's just incredible and this victory is quite symbolic considering her struggles lately. She talked about how difficult it was to return this year and if she hadn't taken a half year off last year she'd have died, which describes how exhausted she was and how her husband used her until she couldn't handle it anymore in 2017. 

TV Asahi had a life-size Katinka paper figure and when she was walking by she stopped and trolled Shuzo when he was talking about the swimming events live on TV. I haven't found a video yet but I need to see it! :laughing:

9 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

She's really dominant that's why it surprised me she lost in 400m. Tokyo will be very exciting..  

Btw dominance: Katinka won gold in 200 m medley and she became the first woman who won the same event at four different World Championships. It was her 61st consecutive victory in 200 m medley -  she is unbeaten since 2012. That's just incredible and this victory is quite symbolic considering her struggles lately. She talked about how difficult it was to return this year and if she hadn't taken a half year off last year she'd have died, which describes how exhausted she was and how her husband used her until she couldn't handle it anymore in 2017. 

TV Asahi had a life-size Katinka paper figure and when she was walking by she stopped and trolled Shuzo when he was talking about the swimming events live on TV. I haven't found a video yet but I need to see it! :laughing:

I've just read that Ledecky has withdrawn from 1500m and doesn't compete over 200m either. What happened? :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid:

Kati is really the Iron Lady. It was a very smart choice yesterday to skip 100m backstroke and focus on the 200m medley. I'm sure, Tusup would have forced her into both events... Thank God, they've split. I was really baffled how strong she has become in breaststroke. That was her key to victory actually.

Now she's leveled Sjöström's 4 victories in a row. It was quite a surprise that Sjöström lost over 100m butterfly yesterday. That could have been her 5th consecutive win in that discipline. Congrats to MacNeil.

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I've just read that Ledecky has withdrawn from 1500m and doesn't compete over 200m either. What happened? :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid:

Kati is really the Iron Lady. It was a very smart choice yesterday to skip 100m backstroke and focus on the 200m medley. I'm sure, Tusup would have forced her into both events... Thank God, they've split. I was really baffled how strong she has become in breaststroke. That was her key to victory actually.

Now she's leveled Sjöström's 4 victories in a row. It was quite a surprise that Sjöström lost over 100m butterfly yesterday. That could have been her 5th consecutive win in that discipline. Congrats to MacNeil.

Apparently Ledecky is sick that's why she WD. So there's a good chance for Ajna to get a medal. :)

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

OMG!!!! Kristof Milak shattered Michael Phelps' WR in 200m butterfly :dancingpooh::dancingpooh::dancingpooh:

Insane performance!! :1497158260_5GOE:

Very happy for Federica and Paltrinieri, too :tumblr_inline_mi7tcqZmot1qdlkyg:

Not just broke it but by a near second which is incredible considering Phelps set that record ten years ago in the super dress era. :bow:Kristof has a very bright future, he is young and talented, an absolute perfectionist, and he is also very professional and mature for his age. It is a very promising result ahead of Tokyo. Ah, I am so happy for him! Some say Hungarian swimming has been declining, I can't see that at all - maybe we don't have Egerszegis or Darnyis now but we have many other talents, World and - hopefully many other future - Olympic champions too.

Also, congrats to Waseda student Daiya Seto on winning the silver!