Other Sports

sallycinnamon

I don't remember which year. I went a few times :) Once lindsay davenport was playing marion bartoli and roddick was playing...someone. Sometimes I go to the qualification rounds when you get to walk around the courts and see all the matches that are happening. You can get super close to the players because they're not in the grand stand arenas. Flushing Meadows was just a subway ride away usually so we just dropped in. I've seen Federer before but one of the earlier matches where he easily won in straight sets. I think it was the same round as when Serena was playing another American lady. Lol, my memory is fuzzy :P

10 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

I don't know much about badminton, but I watched some bits during the Rio Olympics and it was quite exciting! :D

Are you going to watch the World Aquatics Championships in July?

I usually watch sports that are popular in my country, and swimming is one of them. Actually, we love water sports in general even though we don't have sea, just rivers :) I love swimming, water polo or canoeing a lot!

Badminton is about one of, err, 3(?) sports that my country is remotely good at. Our summer Olympics gold medals have come from this sport only. So, it's basically unheard of for anyone back home not to know badminton. :snpeace:

I am planning to watch the Aquatics WC, but not on the venue, even though I am also planning on going to Hungary this summer. And that's because I am such a bad planner, I will arrive in Budapest exactly a day after the competitions are over. :snkuyashii: (I would not know anything about water polo, tho, so will probably skip that)

1 hour ago, yuzupon said:

Badminton is about one of, err, 3(?) sports that my country is remotely good at. Our summer Olympics gold medals have come from this sport only. So, it's basically unheard of for anyone back home not to know badminton. :snpeace:

I am planning to watch the Aquatics WC, but not on the venue, even though I am also planning on going to Hungary this summer. And that's because I am such a bad planner, I will arrive in Budapest exactly a day after the competitions are over. :snkuyashii: (I would not know anything about water polo, tho, so will probably skip that)

Indonesia? :smile:

Oh, then you'll arrive in Budapest one day after the Formula One Grand Prix too. It'll be on the same weekend as the closing weekend of the World Aquatics Championships.

I'll definitely go to one of the water polo matches and to the swimming finals too. And maybe I'll watch high diving too, which will be on the Buda embarkment on the Danube, practically where I work (I'll sneak out in my lunctime :rofl:)

7 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Indonesia? :smile:

Oh, then you'll arrive in Budapest one day after the Formula One Grand Prix too. It'll be on the same weekend as the closing weekend of the World Aquatics Championships.

I'll definitely go to one of the water polo matches and to the swimming finals too. And maybe I'll watch high diving too, which will be on the Buda embarkment on the Danube, practically where I work (I'll sneak out in my lunctime :rofl:)

Yes! Indonesia. Other sports we kinda excel at are weightlifting and archery. Which I watch when we have an athlete competing in the Olympics.

I wouldn't know much about Fomula One. Although I used to teach a Formula 3 racer (representing Indonesia in Asia games), and his teachers were invited once to watch his qualifying round, in which he crashed:ohno: Too traumatic for me.:facepalm:

The first sport I was HUGE into and followed intensively for 10 years is short track speed skating.  Also gymnastics (Japanese men, mostly).  

Also, diving because the Chinese are just perfect.  Chen Aisen is my current fave!  

Tennis also, but very casually.  Nadal fan.

RG Europeans was so beautiful! :smiley-happy105:

The Russian ladies won all the individual apparatus finals (hoop, ball, clubs and ribbon), all of them by identical twins Dina and Arina Averina. The surprise was that Aleksandra Soldatova couldn't win a gold medal, she ended up winning only 2 silvers (along with her Team gold medal). Her Swan ball routine could have deserved the gold medal, though, it was just gorgeous. :smiley-love017: 

ezgif.com-gif-maker5.gif

Some pictures I made (and many others here too):

I really love watching various sports during the Summer and Winter Olympics. I enjoyed watching the FIFA World Cup in Brazil on TV which was the first time that I really watched soccer with any interest. I have an easily distracted interest in following the Vancouver Canucks NHL hockey team when they are winning, which has not been the case for some time. My interest in sports heightens during finals of any sport, such as the Stanley Cup playoffs (hockey), World Series in baseball and maybe the Super Bowl. If something more interesting comes up, I will miss these without any regrets.

It is funny that the only sport that I follow as a fan is the men's singles discipline in figure skating. And this is not completely true because I am a fan of Yuzuru Hanyu, and not particularly the sport of figure skating. I say that it's "funny" because before seeing Yuzuru and becoming his fan, I had no real interest in figure skating. I remember being taken by my parents to see a couple of "Ice Capades" shows when I was a kid, which I enjoyed, particularly the comedy routines. The only other times I saw figure skating was during the Winter Olympics and only if I happened upon them by accident through channel surfing.

It is particularly "funny" because nothing in my past or upbringing would explain my current interest in figure skating. I come from a working-class blue-collar family and growing up, I enjoyed playing pickup games of softball, baseball, football (American) and soccer. My mother used to play volleyball in high school in Japan so she had a volleyball that we played with in the backyard and at the beach. My dad put together a makeshift ping-pong table and played ping-pong with my mother. I never caught on to it. I bought a tennis racket and balls, but could never get the hang of tennis, either. I learned how to downhill ski by myself during a year that I took off university. The only time I put on a pair of ice skates was at an ice skating party during high school (or was a junior high school?) and i spent most of the time hanging onto the boards or on my butt.

The one sport that I did seriously was judo. I was 9 years old and my younger brother was not quite 6 when my parents enrolled us in a judo club. They really couldn't afford it, but thought that it was prudent since we had been the victims of racial discrimination and bullying at school. My parents bought me a set of weights and I did weight training at home as part of my judo training. I got my first degree black belt when I was in high school and competed at two Canadian National Black Belt Championships, the first time immediately after getting my black belt. I then r****d from competition when I started university, but decided to compete one more season when I was in second-year university because the national black belt championships were being held in Montréal, Québec, that year and I wanted to go there. I stopped practising judo completely after that. Studies and girls took priority – not in that particular order.

Tennis for me! Been a fan of Rafa since his early years--didn't like him at first, hah, but after seeing him play a few matches I got won over. Bummed he lost in the Rome Masters but I"m hopeful for Roland Garros.

I also used to follow NBA more closely but nowadays I just watch the conference finals. No particular favorite now (I was once a big Celtics fan), although I'm quite partial to teams located in California.

The only other "sport" I like is Sasuke (Japanese Ninja Warrior) and my other favourite "athlete" is Nagano Makoto (I don't feel right calling figure skaters athletes either because it's as much an art as a sport.) He was unbelievable - swift, effortless, elegant. An absolute legend who was robbed of a second win and deserves all the things. I will care about the summer Olympics when Sasuke becomes an official sport.

When I was younger I used to follow football (soccer in US lol) and even stayed up late night just to watch some games lol. I've also followed F1 and motoGP and now still am.. Monaco GP this weekend!!

I also watch tennis sometimes.. used to watch more. My favorite is Federer. :POOH:

I think that's pretty much it.. 

When I was a kid and then a teenager I followed like 3438959598543 sports,some in a rabid way.Football(=soccer) is the most popular sport in my country,so I followed it since i was 4 because my grandfather and my father were big fans and i am an only child.I've rooted for many teams - club teams (national and foreign) and national teams(my own and a couple of other).

My biggest and happiest memory in sports as a whole is from when Italy's football NT won the World Cup in 2006.I've always been a fan of the Italian national team(I'm not Italian),but in particular that generation of players(DelPiero,Nesta,Buffon,F.Cannavaro etc),many of whom I had been following since they had become European Champions with the Under-21 team some years before winning the World Cup as senior players.I don't think I have ever screamed as much as I screamed that night(i was so invested in them,I couldn't watch the penalty kicks in the final),omg THE PURE JOY AND HAPPINESS i felt that night!A few years ago,I stopped watching football tho because the players I've grown up with got older and r****d and Iittle by little i started to lose interest.

Another sport I've watched a lot for many years was tennis,Rafa Nadal is one of my faves,but some years ago i stopped following tennis too.

I had a basketball(NBA) big phase and a Formula 1 phase.I also watched gymnastics (not so much the rhythmic one).During international competitions I watched ski,swimming,ATHLETICS and many others.One sport I could never warm up to was cycling even tho I started to ride a bicycle when i was 9 and it was one of my favorite past-times together with playing badminton when i was a kid,a teenager and then a young adult.

I started to watch figure skating when i was 12 and it was one of the sports i never missed when the European Championships,Worlds and Olympics were on.Sometimes after the Plushenko/Yagudin era i stopped with this too(was never a fan of the ladies category,men's and ice-dance have always been my faves,so the appeal of the Yuna/Mao rivalry was lost on me).I'm now back because of Yuzu and it's the only sport I'm currently following.And ofc now I'm totally obsessing over Yuzu,it was love at first sight,he entered with a supernatural force into my life,and threw me again into the sweet hell of losing sleep and watching every move and worrying like crazy after a beloved sportsman.Worlds 2017 was one of the happiest moments in my life,I'm so invested in him it's scaring me at this point.If he wins Olympics again,I'll have another Italy football team winning the 2006 WC moment,I'm sure of it.