Other Sports

sallycinnamon

17 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

That bicycle kick by Bale will be worthy for the Puskas award of the season 2017/2018! :clap:

It was epic indeed. :bow:

I do feel bad for Karius though. The guy must be feeling a lifetime's worth of kuyashii right now...

World cup anyone? FIFA has this guess the winner thing. I will cheer for Spain for sure, and Japan too. But I feel that it'll be a Germany vs Brazil final...

And on other sports... Anyone else is a  fan of Ai Chan ?  I love her but can't get over the disappointment after every competition. She is capable of so much more, just can't seem to hold herself together at the last minute... This is why being a Yuzu fan is so amazing, it's like having your prayers answered.

1 minute ago, wingman said:

World cup anyone? FIFA has this guess the winner thing. I will cheer for Spain for sure, and Japan too. But I feel that it'll be a Germany vs Brazil final...

Yesss!! I'be rooting for Spain too and Mexico!!

(As a Mexican I feel we are doomed with that debut against Germany :sad-smiley-046:)

1 hour ago, wingman said:

And on other sports... Anyone else is a  fan of Ai Chan ?  I love her but can't get over the disappointment after every competition. She is capable of so much more, just can't seem to hold herself together at the last minute... This is why being a Yuzu fan is so amazing, it's like having your prayers answered.

On the Worldcup side: don't know if i'll be following All matches but definetly checking results. Cheering on Germany and Japan and hoping for at least half final for germany otherwise I'm dreading the Press and the endless debates. 

Ai as in Fukuhara Ai-chan? Here! Though I'm just getting back into womens table tennis, been following the Mens but not womens (yay Timo and Jun). 

4 hours ago, wingman said:

World cup anyone?

I was just coming over for that one.

Well. RIP everyone in Europe for that month, and Latin America, and ... well ... everywhere else that has the football fever. 

If there are enough peeps interested, yell, we can set up a special thread, not to overwhelm this one!

Fans of tribal sports are odd creatures - in my family anyway.  In football they care so much about the club side, but couldn't care less about the national side, except to berate the various national coaching teams when some key player gets injured on international duty. Makes the World Cup a much easier watch than any normal weekend fixture.

With rugby it's the complete opposite - mild interest in the leagues, fanatical support for the family favourites in the internationals.

Cricket covers both - the county side is a source of anguish because even when they're playing well statistically they lose more matches to rain than any other county side so they have a permanent handicap. Cricket is rained off today so they're watching tennis instead, rather grumpily.

29 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

I was just coming over for that one.

Well. RIP everyone in Europe for that month, and Latin America, and ... well ... everywhere else that has the football fever. 

If there are enough peeps interested, yell, we can set up a special thread, not to overwhelm this one!

Oh, right, it would be great! Like the Oly Other sports thread!! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I know- but it's an individual sport and they're team types, so apart from the odd favourite ( Federer) they don't enjoy it quite as much 🙄

56 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Fans of tribal sports are odd creatures - in my family anyway.  In football they care so much about the club side, but couldn't care less about the national side

I enjoy watching football, but I'm pretty much the opposite - little patience to follow the clubs, but I happily tune into international games.

I'm hoping to follow the matches as much as time allows. Poland is in group H with Japan, so I'm having a little conflict of interest there... and both making it out seems a very unlikely scenario, given the other teams. Other than these two, always definitely cheering for Spain.

LeBron James is one loss away from getting swept by the Warriors.

And tonight, the Washington Capitals go for the Stanley Cup. Will they succeed or will the DC sports curse strike again? 

Edit: Washington did it! Alex Ovechkin is finally a Stanley Cup champion! Congratulations to the Washington Capitals!

Meanwhile, Ohtani was pulled in the 5th inning of last night's game because of a blister 😔