Other Sports

sallycinnamon

The off season in figure skating is long :smiley-sad016: and this is the time of the year when there is maybe more time to focus on other sporting events as well.

Which other sports do you follow?

Do you often go to sports events?

Do you watch more summer or winter sports?

Are you going to watch other sports at the Winter Olympic Games in PyeongChang? :0006:

When I was a kid (9-10 years old) I became a big fan of Formula One which I rarely follow these days. I also loved watching football (soccer in the US), but I don't have too much time anymore to follow ligas and club matches, though I enjoy the national tournaments (Euros, World Cup, Copa America).

I've been a tennis fan for long and enjoy watching good matches. :biggrin: My dream came true in January when Federer and Nadal played a Grand Slam final once again. 

And this weekend I'm going to the Rhythmic Gymnastics Europeans Championships. I've never seen this sport in person so far, I'm looking forward to it very much! :smiley-happy085:

I'm not really fan of other winter sports, curling being the exception, but even those matches I basically watch a little and I switch off the TV.

I really like watching gymnastics and volleyball though. There was also a time I was really into Track and Field, especially all categories involving jumping :coffee:

Thank you for this thread! :snpeace:I like sport in general!!

I follow lots of sports in Eurosport and in the other sport channels in my country! I like soccer and I'm a FC Barcelona fan! I consider Messi the GOAT!!!  I follow tennis verry closely (my compatriot, Simona Halep is in a great form right now and I'm happy for her), I'm a Roger Federer fan. About winter sports, beside FS I follow skijumping and I like Stefan Kraft very much! :pbow:

Awesome thread!:thumbsup:

I come from a country where winter never comes. FS is kinda an exception of winter sports.:space:

I follow badminton and (less faithfully) swimming, which are about the only 2 sports I can actually do, totally understand, and can be a somewhat reliable critic of (although in my younger days I used to participate in 10k running, and was training to do a marathon until I injured my left knee really badly).

I also watch football (the FIFA one) when it is world cup, and because the men in my family are fanatics, I also understand the rules.

On 2017. 05. 19. at 21:02, ralucutzagy said:

Thank you for this thread! :snpeace:I like sport in general!!

I follow lots of sports in Eurosport and in the other sport channels in my country! I like soccer and I'm a FC Barcelona fan! I consider Messi the GOAT!!!  I follow tennis verry closely (my compatriot, Simona Halep is in a great form right now and I'm happy for her), I'm a Roger Federer fan. About winter sports, beside FS I follow skijumping and I like Stefan Kraft very much! :pbow:

I prefer C Ronnie over Messi :electricf:

Simona is great and she has a good chance for a very successful Roland Garros! She's back in the Top 5 now, right?

I like both Federer and Nadal but I was very happy that Federer won the Australian Open, he deserved it so much. Now it's Nadal's chance to win the RG for the 10th time :bow:And then I hope Wimbledon will be exciting as well!

On 2017. 05. 19. at 22:35, yuzupon said:

Awesome thread!:thumbsup:

I come from a country where winter never comes. FS is kinda an exception of winter sports.:space:

I follow badminton and (less faithfully) swimming, which are about the only 2 sports I can actually do, totally understand, and can be a somewhat reliable critic of (although in my younger days I used to participate in 10k running, and was training to do a marathon until I injured my left knee really badly).

I also watch football (the FIFA one) when it is world cup, and because the men in my family are fanatics, I also understand the rules.

I don't know much about badminton, but I watched some bits during the Rio Olympics and it was quite exciting! :D

Are you going to watch the World Aquatics Championships in July?

I usually watch sports that are popular in my country, and swimming is one of them. Actually, we love water sports in general even though we don't have sea, just rivers :) I love swimming, water polo or canoeing a lot!

10 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I prefer C Ronnie over Messi :electricf:

Simona is great and she has a good chance for a very successful Roland Garros! She's back in the Top 5 now, right?

I like both Federer and Nadal but I was very happy that Federer won the Australian Open, he deserved it so much. Now it's Nadal's chance to win the RG for the 10th time :bow:And then I hope Wimbledon will be exciting as well!

Hehe, I like CR7 too, but fan Messi for life! 

I'm very happy that Simona has qualified in the final in Roma,  too! :happy0065:And she's in 4th place now, yay! :smiley-gen013:

7 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

Hehe, I like CR7 too, but fan Messi for life! 

I'm very happy that Simona has qualified in the final in Roma,  too! :happy0065:And she's in 4th place now, yay! :smiley-gen013:

I haven't seen the Rome tournament so far, but I have checked the results now. Great, she's got a chance for an another victory here. :biggrin:

I won't be able to watch the finals tomorrow because I'll be at the Rhythmic Gymnastics Europeans.

2 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I haven't seen the Rome tournament so far, but I have checked the results now. Great, she's got a chance for an another victory here. :biggrin:

I won't be able to watch the finals tomorrow because I'll be at the Rhythmic Gymnastics Europeans.

I watched RG on TV yesterday but not from the start. What happened with Yana Kudryavtseva? Is she injured or r****d? Margarita Mamun as well?!?

I like watching sports mostly during the Olympics, I confess, or whenever I happen to casually catch them on TV. Usually my preferences go to swimming, athletics (mostly running and jumping events) and gymnastics (I prefer artistic to rhythmic but will watch both). Football I only watch during Worlds or Euros to root for my home country, otherwise I care not a little bit for it. Figure skating is actually the first sport I've followed as closely and as often as I've been doing. 

2 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

I watched RG on TV yesterday but not from the start. What happened with Yana Kudryavtseva? Is she injured or r****d? Margarita Mamun as well?!?

Kudryavtseva announced her retirement last year. :sad4:  Rita Mamun hasn't confirmed it yet but most likely she won't return to competitions either.

2 hours ago, xeyra said:

I like watching sports mostly during the Olympics, I confess, or whenever I happen to casually catch them on TV. Usually my preferences go to swimming, athletics (mostly running and jumping events) and gymnastics (I prefer artistic to rhythmic but will watch both). Football I only watch during Worlds or Euros to root for my home country, otherwise I care not a little bit for it. Figure skating is actually the first sport I've actually followed as closely and as often as I've been doing. 

To me, one of the highlights of all sporting events was last year's Hungary-Portugal match at the Europeans. :cheer:I was happy that at the end, finally, Portugal won the competition. I still remember the 2004 final vividly and it was a good revenge for the team. :agree:

When I have a chance, I watch gymnastics/rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, and equestrian.

The only sport competitions I've been to are one equestrian event, and one FS Europeans though.

Ah you've decided to go to RG Europeans? Nice, have lots of fun and tell us about it/post pictures! 

The only other sport I really followed was tennis. I really liked Novak Djokovic for a bit but now i like Federer better! I was soooooo over the moon when he won Australian Open this year. I felt like it was a good sign. And then Yuzuru won Worlds and...well, let's say it's been a great year :biggrin:

I've been to some live tennis events. Mostly US Open because it was close by, living in NYC.

There recently was a Rhythmic Gymnastics FIG Challenge Cup in my country that I didn't even know about until I caught it on TV. At least I got to watch it there. 

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

Ah you've decided to go to RG Europeans? Nice, have lots of fun and tell us about it/post pictures! 

The only other sport I really followed was tennis. I really liked Novak Djokovic for a bit but now i like Federer better! I was soooooo over the moon when he won Australian Open this year. I felt like it was a good sign. And then Yuzuru won Worlds and...well, let's say it's been a great year :biggrin:

I've been to some live tennis events. Mostly US Open because it was close by, living in NYC.

Yes, I'm going to the apparatus finals tomorrow. I'm trying to take some pictures :biggrin:

Ah which year did you go to US Open?

I've never been to a Grand Slam before, just to smaller tournaments. I'd be nice to go to Roland Garros or Wimbledon one day. :)

But I saw Roger Federer back in 2002 and 2003 in Vienna, he won both competitions. :loveeyes: