FIFA World Cup 2022

sallycinnamon

On 11/22/2022 at 12:23 PM, Whoopiewoop said:

Well if that wasn’t humbling for us then I don’t know what is :roll:(with all due respect to Saudi Arabia)

I think Argentina was very nervous but hey, Spain lost their first match in 2010 and ended up being the champions deservedly so. I still have hope 🇦🇷

I knew my boys were going to make it ❤️

I've never seen such a passionless game like tonight while watching Poland just being passive for 15 minutes straight at the end of the game. It was very frustrating to watch. You'd think that they would actually do something to secure themselves that spot in the next stage instead of relying on Mexico not to score a 3rd one and consequently kicking them of competition. 

49 minutes ago, Whoopiewoop said:

I knew my boys were going to make it ❤️

I've never seen such a passionless game like tonight while watching Poland just being passive for 15 minutes straight at the end of the game. It was very frustrating to watch. You'd think that they would actually do something to secure themselves that spot in the next stage instead of relying on Mexico not to score a 3rd one and consequently kicking them of competition. 

I started watching Poland vs Argentina but switched the channel to Mexico vs Saudi Arabia because it looked to be a better game and I didn't mind...Poland's tactics was risky because if Mexico had scored another goal it would have been enough for them to get the second place in the group. I felt sad watching that Mexico tried their best but couldn't score a third goal (well they did but it was offside).:smiley-sad016:

Poland lost today and they can be happy - Mexico won and they can be sad...

(Props to Szczesny, he did really well again with the penalty!)

Group C:

1. Argentina (6)

2. Poland (4) (2-2)

---------------

3. Mexico (4) (2-3)

4. Saudi Arabia (3)

Argentina is lucky to be the first in the group because they will play against Australia, while Poland faces France in the round of 16.

In Group F, Morocco wins the group after they have just won against Canada (2-1). "We're-going-to-f***-Croatia" Canada is out with 0 point.

Belgium realised in the last 20 minutes of the game against Croatia that they would need a goal to have any chance to get to the next round. Lukaku put quite a lot of pressure on Croatia in the end but none of the shots resulted in a goal. 0-0 was favorable for the Croats and Belgium is also out.

1. Morocco (7)

2. Croatia (5)

--------------

3. Belgium (4)

4. Canada (0)

The level of drama at these two matches :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid::13877886: I was switching between the two channels all the time, I could barely keep up what was going on :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:When Costa Rica was leading it was Japan and Costa Rica in 1-2 in the group (that would've been my fav result haha) but in the end, Germany could win the game -  it was still not enough to get #2 in the group. Because Japan played really well against Spain and they won 2-1! :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw: A lot of congratulations to Japan on winning this match and the group too, they were awesome! :clapping-smiley:

Group E end result:

1. Japan (6)

2. Spain (4) (9-3)

------------

3. Germany (4) (6-5)

4. Costa Rica (3)

Japan will play against Croatia and Spain will play with Morocco in the round of 16.

9 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

Congrats, Team Japan! :cheer:

I really didn't expect them to win against Spain. That was absolutely epic! Woohoo! :party0019:

It must be the first time that Japan won their group in the World Cup, right? And a group that has Spain and Germany too! Absolutely incredible! :dancingpooh:

Actually, no. In 2002 Japan finished 1st in their group :) 

I didn't have time to watch the matches of group H, only the last 15 minutes or so but it was enough drama :13877886:I felt sorry for Uruguay that they tried everything to score another goal but it wasn't enough. Portugal didn't seem to care about the end of the second half. Korea's goal in the 91th minute secured them a spot in the round of 16 because even if they had the same points and same goal difference as Uruguay, but they scored more goals (4 vs 2). 

Group H end result:

1. Portugal (6)

2. South Korea (4) (4-4)

-------------------------

3. Uruguay (4) (2-2)

4. Ghana (3)

Brazil lost to Cameroon with their B-team but they still finished 1st in the group. The game wasn't really interesting. Serbia vs Switzerland was more exciting because the stakes were higher...both teams had chances to quality and they fought well - at some point it seemed Serbia could win this match. But Switzerland was able to focus more throughout the game and stay more in control. So in the end they won 3-2 and they're the other team that qualified for the next round.

Group G:

1. Brazil (6) (3-1)

2. Switzerland (6) (4-3)

--------------

3. Cameroon (4)

4. Serbia (1)

Brazil plays against Korea and Portugal against Switzerland. 

The round of 16 games, two each day will begin tomorrow and the last two ones will be on Tuesday. Then 2 days off.

I couldn't watch it but the Netherlands won over the USA (3-1).  Argentina is playing against Australia now and they're leading with Messi's beautiful goal - it is his 1000th game and it is his first goal in a knockout stage at World Cup + he now has the most goals in the Argentin team at World Cup, even more than Maradona. So many records.

I was invited by our 8-year-old neighbour to watch the France vs Poland match together yesterday afternoon. It was fun but the kid lost concentration a bit and we ended up playing button football in the second half.:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:I'm sorry that Poland sort of lose confidence after the first goal. They showed more courage before that. Overall I think there was more in that Polish team at this World Cup but they couldn't really show it, still it was good that they were in this round. France was obviously the stronger team here.

After that I developed a bad headache so I watched the evening match with only a half an eye open. Senegal had their chances in the first half, and I was hoping they could score a goal because they could have shaken things up a bit. But they couldn't. England played without much creativity before they scored the first goal tbh, but in the end there were no surprises and they won.

So it'll be France vs England in the quarterfinal. My money is bet on France based on how the teams played so far.

Today I'm too excited about Japan vs Croatia and Brazil vs South Korea:fingerscrossed:

I'm sad to see Japan being out of the tournament, they were one of the positive surprises of this World Cup. They played well in this game, too, they were quick and had some great attempts, and the goal was also nice. I hope next time they can write history and reach the quarterfinals. 

Croatia also played well, and Perisic's goal was great. In the penalty shoot-out they were the better team. It's all so psychological after a team make a mistake in the beginning and now Japan missed two penalties. This put more pressure on them and made Croatia more relaxed possibly. Congrats to them. :)