FIFA World Cup 2022

sallycinnamon

3 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Well done, TJ fans! 

Watch and learn, everybody else.

This is so satisfying to see.

I always get weird looks at the office when at the end of the day, I clear up the sink with all the used plates and cutlery and put them in the trays we are supposed to place them in before the cleaning staff comes and arranges the dishwashers.

The second half of Portugal vs Ghana was great, at least how the teams were pushing forward which resulted in five goals (unlike the first half in which there was barely any action). 3-2 for Portugal.

...and it was almost 3-3. I mean this...

Spoiler

So group H looks like this after the first round:

1. Portugal - 3 points 

2. South Korea - 1 point

3. Uruguay - 1 point

4. Ghana - 0 point

More records for CR:

59 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

The second half of Portugal vs Ghana was great, at least how the teams were pushing forward which resulted in five goals (unlike the first half in which there was barely any action). 3-2 for Portugal.

...and it was almost 3-3. I mean this...

Reveal hidden contents

So group H looks like this after the first round:

1. Portugal - 3 points 

2. South Korea - 1 point

3. Uruguay - 1 point

4. Ghana - 0 point

More records for CR:

My Twitter feed is full of Ghanians saying that they got cheated. No VAR call which ended up being clearly not a penalty for Portugal? Offside? I didn't watch the match but now I'm curious. Were there really a lot of questionable calls from the ref?

Brazil won against Serbia, 2-0. They really play, and dance with the ball, not just kick it :tumblr_llidknnxec1qzbrv5: The man of the match was definitely Richarlison who scored both goals, from which the second was a glorious bicycle kick. 

Group G:

1. Brazil -3 points

2. Switzerland - 3 points

3. Cameroon - 0 point

4. Serbia - 0 point

And this was the end of the first round.

1 hour ago, Whoopiewoop said:

My Twitter feed is full of Ghanians saying that they got cheated. No VAR call which ended up being clearly not a penalty for Portugal? Offside? I didn't watch the match but now I'm curious. Were there really a lot of questionable calls from the ref?

There were questionable calls/decisions on both sides. The penalty should've been checked by VAR if it was offside or not (it was at the border tbh) - not because of the foul, because the Ghanaian defender tackled CR's back with his shoulder which is automatically a foul (another thing is that CR exaggerated the dive a bit but it was still a foul).

On the other hand, Seidu from Ghana got a yellow card then seconds later he hit his forehead to Joao Felix's. The referee strictly told him something but he was lucky that he didn't get another yellow for it. 

Overall, imo Portugal was a bit better today.

I couldn't follow all matches today, just some parts. The first match was Wales vs Iran, which was 0-0 until the 98th minute when Iran scored two goals. The first red card of the tournament happened in this match - the kick was brutal so it was a fair decision after it was checked in VAR.

Senegal won 3-1 against Qatar so Qatar is the first team that is out of WC (which isn't a surprise). But group A will be interesting in the last round because Netherlands couldn't win against Ecuador (1-1) so it's Netherlands (4 points), Ecuador (4), Senegal (3) now.

Today's last match will be USA vs England.

1 hour ago, isabelfm said:

I wasn't expecting to see the US dominate the 1st half, this is surprising. This cup has been interesting, many underdogs (like Japan) doing better than historically very strong football countries

England can be happy they didn't get a goal today. Otherwise today's game was ...boring:13877886: Tbh, I think a lot of players are very tired because of the schedule of the World Cup and smaller teams whose players don't play in the biggest leagues use this opportunity so far. But in the knock out stage the differences between the teams will come out more.

Group B before the last round also looks quite open. 1. England (4 points) 2. Iran (3) 3. USA (2) 4. Wales (1). 

I couldn't follow the previous games but I will watch Argentina vs Mexico :popcorn:

From what I gather France is already in the knock out stage after they won against Denmark (2-1) and they have now 6 points in the group. Australia also won against Tunesia (1-0), so group C is France-Australia (3)-Denmark (1)-Tunesia (1). Denmark needs to win against Australia in the last match if they want to qualify for the round of 16.

Poland is leading group D after they won against the Saudis (2-0) and Argentina also needs to win if they don't want to get eliminated.

Spoiler

I've always cheered for Mexico more than Argentina so I wouldn't be sad not to see Argentina in the knock out stage #sorrynotsorry

I just gave birth to a watermelon. 

I should have bought rum instead of Coca Cola at the supermarket today to drink during the match between Argentina and Mexico.

And I'm going to say it: Mexico, karma exists. You might want to think twice about mocking your rival next time before the match starts :hihi: