FIFA World Cup 2022

sallycinnamon

World Cup is beginning in...10 minutes! :smiley-sport002: Are there any football fans here?

Here are the groups & teams of World Cup '22: https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022

When I was a kid I always rooted for Brazil, and I also liked Croatia ever since they win the bronze at FIFA '98. I like some other Central/South American teams too.:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

I don't follow football as much as I used to before but I still watch World Cup/Euros or some other bigger tournaments (no club football though).

World Cup, here we go!

2 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Uh not sure the first goal was really offside :unsure: Interesting decision

💸💸💸💸💸💸  :D 

So happy for my fellow South Americans. 

This is the first time ever that the host of the World Cupe loses the inauguration match. I wanna say karma exists but I don't think the players themselves deserve that.

1 hour ago, Whoopiewoop said:

💸💸💸💸💸💸  :D 

So happy for my fellow South Americans. 

This is the first time ever that the host of the World Cupe loses the inauguration match. I wanna say karma exists but I don't think the players themselves deserve that.

Yes I think the players don't deserve that, they're just there to play football. 

Ecuador is the stronger team and they showed it today and won comfortably. Today's match was quite boring though - Ecuador against Senegal will be more interesting in this group, that match will probably decide which team will go to the knockout stage.

Idk what @Whoopiewoopis seeing, but I live in a very club centred family - as long as The Team is doing well they don’t really care about the national teams?  (In fact get v anxious and cross that key players don’t get to play in their usual roles and get injured whilst playing for national teams.). Never have, so this isn’t unusual for them - the one time the boys cared was when their sister in primary school decided to follow her best friend Fernanda’s team (Brazil) and being the stirrer that I am I bought her a knock off Brazil shirt.  But there were always flags in pubs and people engaging with it.  It’s much more low key this time - there’s the odd pub with a national flag, the odd taxi with them flying from the windows but much less so than last time.  It’s v interesting.

7 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Idk what @Whoopiewoopis seeing, but I live in a very club centred family - as long as The Team is doing well they don’t really care about the national teams?  (In fact get v anxious and cross that key players don’t get to play in their usual roles and get injured whilst playing for national teams.). Never have, so this isn’t unusual for them - the one time the boys cared was when their sister in primary school decided to follow her best friend Fernanda’s team (Brazil) and being the stirrer that I am I bought her a knock off Brazil shirt.  But there were always flags in pubs and people engaging with it.  It’s much more low key this time - there’s the odd pub with a national flag, the odd taxi with them flying from the windows but much less so than last time.  It’s v interesting.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that England lost the Euro Championship last year in the way they did. That can be demoralising for fans. But this is only the beginning. If they get through the first round I'm sure they will start to crawl out of their hiding spots and wave those flags.

I'll just keep making clear to everyone who drives by my building that there is someone from Argentina here, and hang my flag over the balcony railing :D 

I have seen only the last 25 minutes or so from the England vs Iran match - I got home, turned on the TV and while I was preparing a coffee and a bit of crisps in a few minutes I missed three goals :lol: From what I've seen England played obviously better. But the first goal from Iran was very nice, too. 

...amd I haven't seen a match with +12 minutes extra time before. Which ended with a penalty on top of that.

so 6-2 to England.

The first match of group C is over and the end result is a big shock: Argentina loses against Saudia Arabia, 1-2. The Argentinians played rather weak today especially in the second half. The Saudis fought with a big heart and this resulted in two great goals. The second one was especially very nice. (I also hop al-Sahrani is OK, the collission at the end of the match looked brutal...).

This will probably taken down but until then here's the second goal

It's a busy day with four matches. Next up is the first match in group D, Denkmark vs Tunisia, then Mexico vs Poland in group C, and in the evening France vs Australia (group D).

I won't lie, I am very happy for this result even though I am a big Argentina fan. The disrespect and dismissive comments I saw on social media regarding the Saudi team before the match made me root for them this time. Their win was deserved and Argentina and their fans needs to learn not to underestimate any team. So congratulations to the winners, well played indeed.

That second goal was a stunner :loveeyes: