Tickets to Skate Canada 2022/23

10 minutes ago, ImmortalBeloved said:

Why do you think he will not get NHK?

Because either Shoma or Yuma will get it. But, as I say, I’m not an expert on the mechanics of the assignment process. So take anything I say as guesswork. 

2 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

Because either Shoma or Yuma will get it. But, as I say, I’m not any expert on the mechanics of the assignment process. So take anything I say as guesswork. 

Does being the National Champion give him choices? I suppose Olys will trump Nats, but he IS Yuzuru Hanyu and Japanese fans adore seeing him above everyone else - He beat Shoma and Yuma easily at Nats he really should be able to have a say about NHK imo...but I am not sure how it all works either!!  

(Imagine not giving Yuzuru a fair say, a senior, with his history, and being current National Champion, oh and the GOAT too!!  Its a ridiculous sport that makes no sense) 

2 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Does being the National Champion give him choices? I suppose Olys will trump Nats, but he IS Yuzuru Hanyu and Japanese fans adore seeing him above everyone else - He beat Shoma and Yuma easily at Nats he really should be able to have a say about NHK imo...but I am not sure how it all works either!!  

(Imagine not giving Yuzuru a fair say, a senior, with his history, and being current National Champion, oh and the GOAT too!!  Its a ridiculous sport that makes no sense) 

He missed the GP comps last year. Unfortunately, I think that weighs pretty heavily. 

18 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

Because either Shoma or Yuma will get it. But, as I say, I’m not any expert on the mechanics of the assignment process. So take anything I say as guesswork. 

18 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

As far as I understand the host country (Japan) gets to pick three of their own people per discipline. But even so, we cant guarantee they would pick Yuzu these days :(

Shoma and Yuma are both seeded skaters, so one of them will undoubtedly go to NHK. However, I don't think that necessarily means we won't see Yuzuru there :scratch3:

There has actually been some speculation about ISU potentially demanding that either Shoma or Yuma has to compete with Yuzuru since otherwise there would be a very high chance that the finals would be completely dominated by the Japanese skaters.

1 hour ago, YuDai said:

Shoma and Yuma are both seeded skaters, so one of them will undoubtedly go to NHK. However, I don't think that necessarily means we won't see Yuzuru there :scratch3:

There has actually been some speculation about ISU potentially demanding that either Shoma or Yuma has to compete with Yuzuru since otherwise there would be a very high chance that the finals would be completely dominated by the Japanese skaters.

Please let me know if I am wrong, but as I understand it, the skaters with the top 6 scores across all the GP events get to go the the GP Final. Then even if Shoma/Yuma competed with Yuzu in the same GP event,  if Shoma, Yuma and Yuzu all had the highest scores among all GP entrants, they would go the the final anyways (irrespective if they were in the same GP assignment or not). 

2 minutes ago, ImmortalBeloved said:

Please let me know if I am wrong, but as I understand it, the skaters with the top 6 scores across all the GP events get to go the the GP Final. Then even if Shoma/Yuma competed with Yuzu in the same GP event,  if Shoma, Yuma and Yuzu all had the highest scores among all GP entrants, they would go the the final anyways (irrespective if they were in the same GP assignment or not). 

You are right, they could all go to the final anyway, but if they competed in different GPs it would be even more likely.

1 minute ago, YuDai said:

You are right, they could all go to the final anyway, but if they competed in different GPs it would be even more likely.

I am not sure if the skaters that get through to the finals are based on total SCORES or POINTS...and how these may be different. I am trying to find the answer somewhere.

4 minutes ago, ImmortalBeloved said:

I am not sure if the skaters that get through to the finals are based on total SCORES or POINTS...and how these may be different. I am trying to find the answer somewhere.

It's based on points, which are awarded based on placement at the GP. (15 for 1st, 13 for 2nd, 11 for 3rd, and so on.) If the 3 of them competed at different GP's they could potentially all place 1st and get 15 points each, whereas if they competed at the same GP, only one of them would get the 15 points. Therefore, in the first case, the chances of all 3 making it to GPF is higher.

5 minutes ago, Chitsuki said:

It's based on points, which are awarded based on placement at the GP. (15 for 1st, 13 for 2nd, 11 for 3rd, and so on.) If the 3 of them competed at different GP's they could potentially all place 1st and get 15 points each, whereas if they competed at the same GP, only one of them would get the 15 points. Therefore, in the first case, the chances of all 3 making it to GPF is higher.

Thanks for clarifying that :)   So if one skater placed 1st in one event and 2nd in another, they would add the 15 + 13 for a combined total, and then compare it to other skaters?

Just now, ImmortalBeloved said:

Thanks for clarifying that :)   So if one skater placed 1st in one event and 2nd in another, they would add the 15 + 13 for a combined total, and then compare it to other skaters?

You got it! :) Generally, a two 1st, or 1st + 2nd make it to the Final for certain (based on math). Two 2nds, and 1st + 3rd, are very likely. Anything else kind of depends how everyone else places. So you can see why putting all 3 top Japanese men at the same event would greatly reduce the chance of all 3 making the Final.

29 minutes ago, Chitsuki said:

You got it! :) Generally, a two 1st, or 1st + 2nd make it to the Final for certain (based on math). Two 2nds, and 1st + 3rd, are very likely. Anything else kind of depends how everyone else places. So you can see why putting all 3 top Japanese men at the same event would greatly reduce the chance of all 3 making the Final.

Edit 2: I guess Shoma and Yuma won't be able to be in the same GP after all since they're both top 3 seeded skaters. GP sure is complicated.

Here's an excellent article by anything GOEs:

https://anythinggoe.com/grandprixguide2223/

7 minutes ago, YuDai said:

Edit: Seems like I mispoke. There can be up to two seeded skaters in the same event, which means that technically they could be assigned to the same GPs, you are right. (Of course won't actually happen though)

No, You're right about Yuma and Shoma. In terms of how GP assignments work, it's...complicated. I'll try to do a summarized version.

Seeded skaters are placement 1st to 6th at the last Worlds. If one of those skaters decide they're not competing in GP, it shifts up. (I believe Vincent said he's focusing on school, so in that case, Morisi, who was 4th, becomes "3rd" in seeding.) For GP's, 1, 2, 3 cannot meet at any GP, and 4, 5, 6, cannot meet. So yes, you get 2 seeded skaters, but it's one of 1, 2, 3, and one of 4, 5, 6. Because Shoma and Yuma were 1st and 2nd, they therefore can't get the same GP, but Shoma CAN be assigned to the same GP as Kazuki (who placed 6th, but is "5th" here if Vincent isn't doing GP).

Yuzu didn't compete at Worlds, so he's not seeded. Therefore, he can actually be at ANY GP, and it doesn't really matter who else is there. 

GP assignments are *typically* in preference of Hosting Fed, Home Fed, skater preference. So the Hosting Fed would have to invite him, JSF then agrees or disagrees, and after that if there are choices, Yuzu would get to pick. I actually think he's going to get NHK, since JSF is both the host and the home fed, so they basically hold all the cards, plus they can sell the broadcast rights to Japanese TV, who would absolutely take Yuzu since he's.....A+++ for viewership. ;) And Yuzu would not turn down skating in Japan.

17 minutes ago, Chitsuki said:

No, You're right about Yuma and Shoma. In terms of how GP assignments work, it's...complicated. I'll try to do a summarized version.

Seeded skaters are placement 1st to 6th at the last Worlds. If one of those skaters decide they're not competing in GP, it shifts up. (I believe Vincent said he's focusing on school, so in that case, Morisi, who was 4th, becomes "3rd" in seeding.) For GP's, 1, 2, 3 cannot meet at any GP, and 4, 5, 6, cannot meet. So yes, you get 2 seeded skaters, but it's one of 1, 2, 3, and one of 4, 5, 6. Because Shoma and Yuma were 1st and 2nd, they therefore can't get the same GP, but Shoma CAN be assigned to the same GP as Kazuki (who placed 6th, but is "5th" here if Vincent isn't doing GP).

Yuzu didn't compete at Worlds, so he's not seeded. Therefore, he can actually be at ANY GP, and it doesn't really matter who else is there. 

GP assignments are *typically* in preference of Hosting Fed, Home Fed, skater preference. So the Hosting Fed would have to invite him, JSF then agrees or disagrees, and after that if there are choices, Yuzu would get to pick. I actually think he's going to get NHK, since JSF is both the host and the home fed, so they basically hold all the cards, plus they can sell the broadcast rights to Japanese TV, who would absolutely take Yuzu since he's.....A+++ for viewership. ;) And Yuzu would not turn down skating in Japan.

Great summary! I got confused for a moment, I should think twice before I post :drama: my edit came too late :68468287:

I agree with you, JSF may not always treat Yuzuru fairly, but I doubt they would pass up on the opportunity to rake in some profits.

I went ahead and bought a ticket, a seat near the KnC too. It'll be so much fun if Yuzu goes cuz we'll all be sitting kind of close to each other!

It's crazy busy at work and sometimes I'm in meetings the whole day, so I won't be able to monitor and see when they drop Grand Prix assignments like in previous years. If I don't buy now, I might not be able to get a ticket later, and I definitely don't want to miss a chance to see Yuzu!

I also think there's a good chance that Yuzu will be at NHK. I wouldn't be surprised if both Shoma and Yuzu were at NHK so JSF can ask for top yen for the Japanese broadcast rights.

In 2018, I heard Helsinki asked for the OGMs to be assigned there as a condition for hosting the event after China refused to host that year. I don't know if the TBD hosting countries will make a similar request. Basically, they might want to ensure that top skaters are assigned there so they can sell tickets if they agree to host. We know Yuzu sells out arenas, so I wouldn't be surprised if ISU uses Yuzu as a bargaining chip in those kind of negotiations.