ISU Congress 2022 (6-10 June)

I open a separate thread for the Congress - it will be easier to follow which proposals will be accepted.

The 58th ISU Ordinary Congress will take place in Phuket, Thailand on June 6 – 10, 2022. Every Congress sees major decisions about the future and direction of the ISU. In 2022 almost 250 proposals will be discussed and voted by the Congress. Additionally, elections for ISU Office Holders positions will take place. The Congress will be live streamed on YouTube.

Full Agenda of the Congress with the proposals:

Proposals of the S&PTC for changes in the ISU Constitution

Candidates for ISU Officials:

https://isu.org/docman-documents-links/isu-files/documents-communications/isu-communications/28257-candidates-isu-office-2022/file

SCHEDULE (all times are local time, GMT +7, current time in Thailand here)

Monday, June 6

• 09.00 to 12.30 Congress – agenda items A.1 – A.16 YouTube
  • 12.30 to 14.00 Lunch
  • 14.00 to 15.30 Workshops
    • Technical Rule amendments Figure Skating Branch (as per Art. 33, para 9.d) YouTube
  • 16.00 to 17.00 Congress – agenda items A.17-A.18 YouTube
  • 17.15 to 18.00 Election voting procedure rehearsal

Tuesday, June 7

• 09.00 to 12.30 Congress – agenda items A.17-A.18 YouTube
  • 12.30 to 14.00 Lunch
  • 14.00 to 17.00 Congress – agenda items A.17-A.18 YouTube

Wednesday, June 8

•  09.00 to 12.30 Congress – agenda items A.17-A.18 (if not completed on Tuesday) YouTube
    • Alternatively to be held simultaneously: Figure Skating Branch Session – agenda items C.1-C.11 YouTube

combined stream with Congress stream above

• 12.30 to 14.00 Lunch

• 14.30 to 18.30 Excursion

• 20.00 to 23.00 Dinner hosted by the Figure and Speed Skating Association of Thailand

Thursday, June 9

• 09.00 to 12.30 Figure Skating Branch Session – agenda items C.1-C.11 YouTube
  • 12.30 to 14.00 Lunch
  • 14.00 to 17.00
    • Figure Skating Branch Session agenda items C.1-C.11 YouTube

Friday, June 10

• 09.00 to 11.00 Congress – agenda items D.19-D.31 YouTube
  • 11.30 to 12.15 Figure Skating Branch Session – agenda items C.12-C.18 - no link yet?
  • 12.15 to 13.00 Congress – agenda items D.32-D.37 - no link yet?
  • 13.00 to 14.00 Opening Doors - Coctails
  • 20.00 to 24.00 Closing Banquet hosted by the ISU

I am proud of my countryman<3 That must have taken a lot of courage.

I am glad that the most horrendous proposal was rejected, the other ones should be less drastic? Even with Russia and Belarus on the congress, I am pretty sure that they are going to raise the age limit. I would love to see them accept the proposed change to axel sequences, though I am not sure how that will go.

This is my understanding of the main proposals for scoring/judging, having subjected myself to several hours of this interminable congress

Proposals to be finalised tomorrow

Technical proposals

Axel jumps - 3,2,1 revolution can be part of combination jump

Combination jump

- each element can be recognised for full base value

- jump sequence may be 2 or 3 jumps, but only one combination may be 3 jump sequence in free skate

Step sequence - unlisted jumps may be part of step sequence but will count towards jump passes, if greater than 2 rev, however, single revolution jump will not be judged as separate jump but will be seen as part of st sq

Choreo - must contain at least 2 movements: spiral, Ina Bauer, hydro-blade, arabesques, 2 rev jump, spins. Steps and turns will not be rewarded tas part of choreo score ( not enough to gain score on their own, but will just be linking movements? ) This is likely to be postponed for one year

Component Scores 

Reduction from 27 criteria

Improve judging by enhancing accuracy, clarity, simplifying, avoiding overlap, reduce unconscious bias

New categories

Composition

Performance

Skating Skills

Better guidance for judges

Feedback for skaters

Still very subjective, for example : blade and body control, unity of programme with music, engagement and commitment to performance. Very subjective

Some council members spoke out about PCS scoring used by certain judges used with extreme bias. which effectively is (mis)used to allocate the placements.

Judging corridor possibly removed as it is currently too wide to apply algorithm which would identify when a judge had given an outlying(biased) score, aka xxxxflation

Unlikely that PCS will be adjusted to reflect high TES, (due to high BV of jumps?). This will not be addressed in this 2 year cycle

GB member asked about education for judges, she is quite well known experienced official 

Some members don't want change or voiced there apprehension about the new judging scoring systems. Some Feds realise that the changes will give winners and losers and they may no longer be on the winning side. Watch and see, some proposals may be out voted, if big feds don't like a proposal and can get allies to vote their way.

Really creeeeeeepy music before and after broadcast, weird

I remember in Max Ambesi's lecture, he made a very salient comment that there are some skaters where the music could be changed but the programme layout and choreo was exactly same from season to season, same issues highlighting over scored skaters who never challenge themselves or the sport. I inferred from Max's statement that he feels some skaters have no investment or emotional engagement artistically with their programmes, because it's just a music and costume swap as opposed to a creative skate with mastery of the sport and artistry

ISU finances are 4.5M CHF in deficit each year for last 3 years ( £3.7 )

One of the members from the Netherlands ( I think Jeroen ? ) motioned to split the judging panel during competitions.

5 judges allocated to TES and 5 to concentrate on PCS, in theory allowing each group to concentrate on either elements or the performance. I don't know for certain if this was in the planned agenda for this congress. However, the option has been voiced as a potential method of judging. The elephant in the room is how the scores will be allocated in terms of the PCS grades from poor to outstanding. 

imho even better, invest in high tech - lots of cameras with hi def, slo mo functions, 3D capture and suitable placements for 360 view. Then AI can be used to judge height and distance of jumps, edge recognition, check toe pick/blade take off and rotations + angle of landing for rotation calls then this would be objective and in theory scored as per the set criteria. 

(Not going to see it instituted before I lose patience and take Mjolnir and smash the whole corrupt system to Niflheim. I'll be able to wield it because I'm performing a worthy labour) Sorry, carried away for a moment

18 minutes ago, Xiupia said:

Thank you for the thread, and thank you @Perelandra for your summary!

No word on splitting panels as of yet then? 

You are welcome. Someone had to do it:mushroom4:

The music either side of the congress was a very bizarre choice, quite unsettling:death:

2 hours ago, lajoitko said:

Is this actually better or worse? I mean, it puts an extra competition in the season, tiredness increases, wouldn't the skaters have to adjust again when they peak? 

About Olympic qualification competition.

My understanding is that Olympic qualification stays same as before. Majority of the spots are decided based on the results of the previous World Championships and the rest of the spots are decided at the new qualification competition. To me this is a positive change. Every Olympic year Nebelhorn Trophy has run two competitions at the same time and it has been hard to follow which country and skater are there for the spots and who is just competing in the regular competition. So at least it should be a clearer competition and easier to follow.

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding.