Celebrating the 5th Anniversary of Planet Hanyu!

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu?

2016-2017 season. 

2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu?

I was lurking on that other site for quite some time. When the migration happened, I thought it was a good time and place to join since this would be a new place for everyone. 

3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu?

No (not yet?)

4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu?

I think there was a banner project? And probably a birthday project.

5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions?

No, but fingers crossed that it'll happen one day.

6. What do you like the most about this forum?

The media resources (or if they aren't available, the index) is really complete and easily navigable. I also like the News and Updates thread, because sometimes it's hard to catch up with the General Chat after being away for some time.

7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway?

Yes!

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu? A:Since this year

2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? A:Just sign up haha,because i want to hav more frds that can chat abt yuzuru with me.
  3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? not yet QAQ
  4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? No
  5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? No😭
  6. What do you like the most about this forum? I love how it can let fanyu in the whole world can come together chat together know each other.
  7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway? YES

Happy anniversary and thank you for your work! 💙

It was lovely to go through the thread and read people's stories about their journey with Yuzu.

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu?

I've always casually enjoyed watching fs, especially ladies and pairs. In 2018 during Pyeongchang I was an exchange student in Japan, so of course I heard about him but back then I had other interests on my mind.

This time with Beijing I was completely swept in thanks to my twitter friends posting videos of him. Since then I got very passionately into the whole discipline of fs.

It's been such a short time and I already can't believe there was a time I didn't know Yuzu, a time when I wasn't enchanted by the beauty of his craft, I time when I wasn't touched by the emotions he expresses with his skating.

2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu?

I found out about your website last week thanks to a twitter friend and I immediately wanted to join! I long to be part of this community, to share my love for Yuzu and for fs with other fans ❤ 

3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu?

Not yet since I'm brand new in the community but I wish so! 

I live in Italy and we have fs events here so it would be awesome to meet people.

Not yet but I think I will!

5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions?

Still no, but it sounds absolutely awesome! 

I love how so many people from all over the world unite in one place to talk and share thoughts and emotions about something and someone they love.

Your archive is also amazing and I can't wait to dive deeper into it, it's a huge service for new fans of Yuzu that have missed out on so much 🔥

7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway?

Yes please! When I think of all the time I spent in Japan and all the nice merch that I could have got if only I got meet Yuzu before I want to start pulling my hair! 

I would love to have a little something in my space to remind me of him and his strength and his beauty 💙

Thank you for this opportunity and for your dedicated work! :clapping-smiley:

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu? A few weeks before PyeongChang.
  2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? In the wake of the '18 Olys, I was eager to find other lunatics people who would understand my total obsession with Mr. Hanyu!
  3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? Yes, and it's been a real joy.
  4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? Yes, a couple of the birthday projects.
  5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? Yes, I met many wonderful fanyus in Torino. 
  6. What do you like the most about this forum? What's not to like? It's comprehensive, welcoming, well organized, well moderated, bursting with wonderful resources like the video archives and populated by a crazy array of different personalities who all share a love for Yuzu. 
  7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway? Thanks, but no. I've already got way too much stuff. 
Guest turquoiseblue

Hello and welcome to the Planet, @zlc, @Ignite_391, @Sweetsummerchild, @Elly, @yuzu_seimei, @seenheyunnn and @SaraHime94 :welcome:

I'm happy to have you all here :10742289:

11 hours ago, Elly said:

When did you become a fan of Yuzu? 

At the Beijing Olympics. I used to love figure skating as a kid and I have been going through some health-related issues, so I thought I’d return to my childhood and tune in this time for the Winter Olympics FS. I had heard of Yuzu before, but it wasn’t until seeing him give his all to his performances that I instantly became a fan. Watching him skate and cheering for him and his A4 made me forget my own pain and gather courage and optimism. I will never forget watching Rondo, Ten to Chi to, and especially Haru yo Koi.

When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu?

I signed up a few days ago. Since becoming a Yuzu fan, I have been ending up here again and again, but I was too shy to join since I’m new and have little to contribute. I’ve been patiently waiting for news on Yuzu every day with the others, so I thought this would be a good place to do that and learn about Yuzu at the same time. This is the first forum that I’ve joined so I am still learning my way around.   

Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu?

No, but perhaps one day. :)    

Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu?

Not yet, but I look forward to it very much.    

Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions?

I am a student so I don’t really have the means to right now, but I hope to get the chance to see Yuzu perform one day.    

What do you like the most about this forum?

The sense of community and warmth from the other members. I am new, but I’ve been going through some posts and am happy to find that such a place exists for fans of Yuzu. :) Thank you for making such a place possible!   

Would you like to participate in the giveaway?    

Yes, please. I’m just learning about Yuzu so I am not exactly sure how, but it would be so lovely to start my Yuzu collection with these. Thanks for your consideration! :) :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

And Happy 5th Anniversary! Thank you for your hard work and helping share the love for Yuzu! Best of wishes for the future for Planet Hanyu, all Yuzu fans and for Yuzuru Hanyu! <3

I love your profile photo, @Elly :tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg:

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through health-related issues. It's touching how Yuzu's skating has positive effects on you. I'm sending good vibes your way :grouphug:

Happy 5th anniversary to Planet Hanyu! :cheer: Here’s to the next five years, and more… :drink2:

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu? In October 2016. I was just browsing through YouTube, and Yuzu’s SP at Sochi got recommended to me. After that, I was hooked. I was like – where have you been all this time? Suddenly, I discovered a whole new world focused on this wonderful skater – and it’s been simply amazing. Even with all the heartaches – he’s just worth all of it.
  2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? In July 2017. I was still riding on the high of his victory at Helsinki, and wanted to gobble up anything and everything about him.
  3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? Not yet.
  4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? Yup, I submitted birthday wish/fan edit entries for Yuzu’s 26th and 27th birthdays. I also watch the Yuzu Skating Parties regularly on Twitch.
  5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? Unfortunately, not at competitions. However, I met other fans at Fantasy On Ice – not sure if they were PH satellites, though.
  6. What do you like the most about this forum? I love that in this forum, I can share/rave/rant without judgement from others. I love that in here, people understand what the heck I’m talking about (you don’t get a lot of those in my circle – I live in a tropical country, where ice rinks are almost impossible to find). I love that I can interact with like-minded folks, who have some idea about figure skating in general, and great love/adoration/respect for both Yuzuru the skater, as well as the person.
  7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway? Yes, please. Thank you for the opportunity. The giveaways are so beautiful (look at those exhibition post cards and tote bag) – how can they be otherwise, though, yeah? :girlsigh:

1.  When did you become a fan of Yuzuru?

While watching PyeongChang Olys.  As an American, I tuned in to root for Nathan Chen.  But when I saw Yuzuru skate Chopin's Ballade No. 1, I realized I was witnessing something extraordinary.  I was beyond moved, especially after his gala performance of Notte Stellata.  I felt like my whole world shifted in some way.  And then I read his back story, and realized what a kind, humble, reverent, and generous person he is, and I was hooked even more.  He's overcome so much and persevered.  I've been following Yuzuru ever since, and I always will. 

2.  When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu?

Shortly after the free skate at Beijing Olys.  I generally avoid any kind of social media, but the grief and pain for Yuzu was too hard to bear alone, and I didn't have anyone else irl who understood.  I began searching the internet for what other fans were saying, and found Planet Hanyu.  This community became a lifeline during that week before the Gala and beyond with news of Yuzu's daily gala practices, his press con, translations of interviews, and of course, the outpouring of love and support for Yuzu.  It helped me feel better about what had happened to see that he was surrounded by love of fans, volunteers, and other skaters, and to see his resilience first hand. I feared for him, that people would be cruel because he did not medal or land the 4A, but Fanyus, you helped restore my faith in humankind. 

Not yet, but I hope to.

No, but I look forward to doing so in the future.

I have not had the opportunity, but like many others here, it is my dream to see Yuzu compete or perform in person, so I can't wait to meet other satellites.

6. What do you like most about this forum?

That the members here are kind and respectful, and hold Yuzu's health and happiness of the utmost importance. And of course, the treasure trove of archives and videos, the education I have received about figure skating/scoring issues from other knowledgeable fanyus, and most importantly, news and twitter posts in the general Yuzuru chat thread, that include translations!  A lot of the interviews and articles would not be accessible to me otherwise, and I appreciate everyone who works so hard to provide these translations more than I can say.

Yes please!  Thank you, Planet Hanyu.

After Sochi 2014, I came across the replay of his olympics short program (Parisienne Walkways) thanks to YouTube. I wasn't fond of ice skating as it is not popular in my country; It is a tropical country after all and there's only one skating rink in the whole country. Anyway, I was just casually watching recommended videos because I was stressed from A Levels preparation xD I fell in love with the way he skate instantly because it contains so much expression and feeling! I didn't know figure skating was this beautiful :') 

I signed up right after Beijing Winter Olympics. Eventhough I knew of Yuzuru back in Sochi, I never really though of joining fandoms, etc. I was too busy with high school and university back then. So, right after Beijing Olympics, I looked at twitter and obviously "Yuzuru Hanyu" is trending. Then, I started following fan accounts because they share stunning pictures of Yuzu! I took courage to contact one of the many fanyus I followed and they told me to join Planet Hanyu. I didn't know what it was until I looked it up xD So many interesting threads about figure skating, Yuzu, competition meetups, book recommendations, etc. Because there's a lot of information about figure skating + video archives of skating performances, I decided to join Planet Hanyu :) 

Unfortunately, no... at least not yet! I just recently joined, so hopefully as the days, months and years went by, I can make irl friends through Planet Hanyu :D

Hmmm.... does watching the Yuzu Skating Party counts? If so, yes! xD

Nope, never :( I would love to in the future though! I'd love to watch him skate LIVE!

The archive videos and the figure skating definitions thread xD I feel educated by reading the definitions and types of jumps in figure skating! 

Yes please! Thank you so much for the giveaway!

1.When did you become a fan of Yuzu? Before Yuzu FS in Beijing I searched for Yuzuru Hanyu and immediately became a fan. I fell in love with him after watching Haru yo, koi
2.When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? I came across before but I decided to create an account a few days ago.
3.Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? no I didn't
4.Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? I haven't but I'd love to
5.Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? no I didn't
6.What do you like the most about this forum? the videos archieve!! and fans here are also really nice too
7.Would you like to participate in the giveaway?Yesss i'd love to

Thank you for this action. :balloons-smiley:

Actually I can only call myself a Fanyu since 2019. Before that I watched his competitions occasionally on Eurosport. Then I saw a video of "R&J" from  Worlds 2012. I didn't know much about Yuzu and was dying to learn more.  And the more I saw of him, the more his skating fascinated me. I was also very impressed by his personality. :heartpound:

In August 2020. Unfortunately my family not interested for FS and I also had nobody to talk to about Yuzu. Then I finally dared to register here, even if i was a bit unsure because of my bad English. But I'm really grateful for your understanding when it's not always perfect. 

No.

Yes, on Yuzu's birthday projects. :yes:

Not yet.

The communication with the other satellites is a lot of fun for me. And of course there is also many informations about Yuzu here.

I have to admit that I don't really know much about jumps and scores etc., so I can't contribute much to the discussion. But I can really learn a lot here. Of course, as many have mentioned, the many videos you can find here. :agree:

I also like the "Fanart" thread ... I'm always impressed how talented Fanyus are.

Yes, gladly.

(Sorry for my bad English).

Thanks again for this wonderful place and the hard work. :grouphug:

Happy Burthday Planet Hanyu! I visit here every day to read about Yuzuru.  Thank you for maintaining this site!

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu? 
    2018 Olympics Chopin.  I watched it and I was mesmerized.  I was a casual FS watcher before that (so I knew about Patrick Chan, Plushenko, Yuma Kim, Mao Asada, etc. and there was a time when I got mesmerized with Jeff Bottle’s skating as well.  But Yuzu is on a different level!  I have followed Yuzu’s every competition ever since)
  2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? 
    Just after 2018 Olympics when I wanted to know more about Yuzu and I watched all his YouTube’s and read all his interviews and I found Planet Hanyu in the process.
    Yes!  I met other Yuzu fans during Skate Canada 2019 and a few of us came from the same place.  So we have gone out together a few times afterwards! (We went to Canadian Nationals together and also watched 4CC 2020 together in a “sleep-over party”!  It was fun!
  4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? 
    Yes, there was a group project to make a banner for Yuzu, with all the countries of Yuzu fans written in a red circle looking like the Japanese flag and with Yuzu’s Otonal pose.
    Yes!  I have gone to ACI 2018, ACI 2019 and Skate Canada 2019.  I was too shy to meet anyone at ACI, but at Skate Canada a bunch of us met up and had dinners together!
    That everyone is friendly and I like sharing our love for Yuzu.
    I would love to, as it is difficult to get Yuzu merch that are only available in Japan!  Thanks a lot!
2 hours ago, Anni said:

Thank you for this action. :smiley-balloons:

1. When did you become a Yuzu fan? 

En fait, je ne peux m'appeler Fanyu que depuis 2019.  Avant cela, je regardais occasionnellement ses compétitions sur Eurosport. Puis j'ai vu une vidéo de "R&J" du Mondial 2012.  Je ne connaissais pas grand-chose à Yuzu et je mourais d'envie d'en savoir plus.  Et plus je le voyais, plus son patinage me fascinait. J'ai également été très impressionné par sa personnalité. :heartpound:

2. Quand et pourquoi vous êtes-vous inscrit sur Planet Hanyu ? 
En août 2020.  Malheureusement, ma famille  n'était pas intéressée par FS et  je n'avais personne à qui parler de Yuzu. Puis j'ai enfin osé m'inscrire ici , même si j'étais un peu incertain à cause de mon mauvais anglais. Mais je suis vraiment reconnaissant de votre compréhension quand ce n'est pas toujours parfait. 

3. Vous êtes-vous fait des amis irl grâce à Planet Hanyu ?  

Non

. 4. Avez-vous participé à des projets de groupe sur la planète Hanyu ?

Oui, sur les projets d'anniversaire de Yuzu. :yes:

5. Avez-vous participé à des rencontres avec d'autres satellites lors de compétitions ?

Not yet.

6. What do you like most about this forum?

Communication with other satellites is great fun for me. And of course, there is also a lot of information about Yuzu here.

I have to admit I don't know much about jumps and scoring etc so I can't contribute much to the discussion. But I can really learn a lot here. Of course, as many have mentioned, the many videos you can find here. :to agree:

I also like the "Fanart" thread... I'm always impressed by Fanyus' talent.

7. Would you like to participate in the competition?

Yes with pleasure.

(Sorry for my bad English).

Thanks again for this wonderful place and hard work. :group hug:

Ohhhhhh Anni, don't be sorry for your "bad English" and what to think of mine almost non-existent  :doh:(just a few short basic sentences) and just to see, I switched from "English / French" and I would be unable to speak . write texts in English like yours  :girlsigh: : be proud of your English

Thankyou so much for doing this! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY :loveshower::loveshower:

I found out about Yuzu at the end of May last year. I didn't know figure skating exist back then and neither was I a sports fan, so coming across Yuzu's PyeongChang Seimei performance while scrolling on YT was a really wonderful coincidence. At first impression, I was absolutely captivated by his skate to the point that I was at the edge of my seat by half the performance and cheering along with the audience in the arena. But since I knew nothing about the sport, it didn't garner enough of my interest to find out more. The next day, the same video was recommended to me and I found myself watching it again with the same enthusiasm as the first time. Then I got curious enough to open the comments. It was full of compliments and praises not limited only on the performance, but also on the athlete himself, Yuzuru Hanyu. So I searched him on wikipedia and fell into the hole of binge-watching Yuzu on YT and it could be said that the rest was history haha. I became a fanyu completely just after SOI 2021 (I missed it by a few days :weeping:) and it has been such an adventure following Yuzu's journey until now. Even though it's not always a fun and happy experience, even as I shed some tears along the way, I've never regretted finding out and supporting Yuzu. I have learnt so much from him. He's honestly the dream role-model both in figure skating and in life :heart:

I joined while Jnats 2021 was ongoing. I found out about this forum from twitter and this forum is a godsend for a baby fanyu like me. This forum has helped me a lot in catching up with what I missed and understand more about figure skating and of course, about Yuzuru Hanyu! This forum really just made a lot of things easier for me. Thankyou so much for the hard work put into creating and managing this forum :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

Unfortunately I haven't :(

Not yet. But if anything is coming up soon, I'll be sure to check it out and see if I could participate!

Sadly I have never been to any competitions yet. I don't think my country ever holds any figure skating competition (not that I know of, at least), and I haven't gotten time to spare to travel to competitions overseas. But it's mostly due to Covid :(. I sure I hope I could go to one someday and meet other fanyus though! :grin:

To be honest, I haven't seen all of what this forum has to offer. But to my limited experience as a baby fanyu, the best thing is absolutely the video archive. It helps me access a lot of videos that might not be available in my country without a VPN, which makes it really hard to search for online. Again, thankyou so much for all the hard work :heart:

Of course! I'm really excited that I finally can participate in one of these giveaways, especially after I saw the recent Yuzu exhibition merch. They're all so wonderful and beautiful but so far out of my reach haha. So I'm very thankful for this opportunity :tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:  ありがとうございます!

1. when did you become a fan of Yuzu? some time in early January2017. Forever kuyashii I can't pinpoint the exact day, so to have my own proper anniversary, but back then it hadn't occurred to me that, click after click, I'd fall so deep:embSwan: I had been a casual FS fan for a long time, catching FS on tv but not actively soughing it out, then on a whim I got curious about how medallists from Sochi were doing (I had only watched ladies back in 2014). Rewatched my fave (robbed) Queen, Caroliba and a few other ladies, then wathce dthe other discipline medallists... and tripped into Sochi PW. I had always kinda snubbed Men's as the dullest discipline out there, so imagine my surprise when Zuzu's PW blew my mind:eeking: 
  2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu?  Almost from day one :woop:    after bing-watching on YT I wanted to know MORE and, to my great surprise, I found out there actually were whole dedicaded FS forums:laughing: started reading the Yuzu thread on an italian one, then thorugh it I landed in the other place and I was in the process of backreading the whole Yuzu fanfest when...things happened. Somehow landed on the temporary forum and finally, luckily, a kind fan who had seen my one post in the other place PMed me the link to the Planet. I had felt a bit shy joining the other place so I had just been lurking, really, but this Planet felt like a clean start in a sense, so I felt more brave and started posting...and posting...and posting more :roll: and later I started the Glossary because it was something I would have liked to find myself as a bb fanyu and I thought that, for once, I could be the change I wanted to see in the world :tumblr_inline_mto5i4jHv61qid2nw:
  3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? none that I had the chance to meet outside of fs events
  4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? YES:biggrin: the banners, fan messages, the bday vids, the subbing...behind the scenes there's a lot of work, but it's also the kind of work that feels rewarding
  5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? yep, in Milan I was literally hopping on and off trains so there really wasn't much of a chance, but finally got the chance in TurinGPF. Though there's some bitterness related to the comp, I'll never regret going there, and meeting with everyone was definitely one of the things I cherish the most:tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:
  6. What do you like the most about this forum? that it feels like home? This place has been with me for most of a fanyu life, so I feel especially attached and proud of how it keeps growing, and how, despite sometimes going through troubled waters, it's still here, a warm place I can return, a safe place. I also feel that I want to protect this kind of space. Of course there are some things that still must be discussed, painful things, enraging things, because keeping things civil doesn't mean fake positivity at all costs. I know it isn't easy to keep things this way, so I really appreciate that everyone is helping out. And I myself am making good use of the the SaltMines XD As a very disorganized person, I really love the compilations, the wikis that I shamelessly use when idk where to find stuff, the video archive (which is a pretty recent addition, all in all. It wans't here originally), the fanart&fanvids subthreads. I also love the competitons threads, they're really a great way to cope with anxiety or also boredom (depending on the competiton). It's also through those that I learned to tell jumps apart and got familiar with many other skaters, thanks to other satellites chatting and even posting full layouts (idk how you manage, I always end missing some elements while I type:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:)
  7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway? hhhhnnnnnnnn...no? No. Though the exhibition merch is so gorgeous and so tempting. Good luck y'all:tumblr_inline_mm2wnxgTbV1qz4rgp:

Happy 5th Anniversary Planet Hanyu <3 May your journey through space and time continue for another 5 years, and after that another 5 years and another....

1. When did you become a fan of Yuzu?  WC 2012 Free skate, at 3:29 min from starting pose I knew I am watching a talent there has not existed ever before, and I have been watching figure skating for several decades. Yuzuru was spectacular, he was gasping for breath but still not giving up, not for an inch, he skated till the very end fiercefully being Romeo with every cell of his body...I was SOLD for the rets of my life.
  2. When and why did you sign up for Planet Hanyu? In August 2021, I was lurking quite a long time before signing up but eventually got the courage to come in. I live in a country where ice hockey is a religon, so I had no one to share my enthusiasm about Yuzuru and I just needed to "talk" about him with someones understanding why I am in 7th heaven every time I see him skating.
  3. Did you make any irl friends through Planet Hanyu? Unfortunately no, not yet anyway, but I am looking for opportunity to find one some day somewhere.
  4. Have you participated in any group projects on Planet Hanyu? Sadly no, but I did send happy birthday wishes to the birthday thread, but that dosen't count for participating does it ...
  5. Did you attend any meetups with other satellites at competitions? Unfortunately I haven't been lucky enough to attend any competitions so far, but I keep fingers crossed that Yuzuru would continue competing and we would have an honor and priviledge to see him in Europe.
  6.  What do you like the most about this forum? I appreciate very much for all the info I am getting, for example how to watch competitions or Ice shows live from Japan TV, also I enjoy reading all the different views about Yuzuru and figure skating in general. It is always so nice to come here because of the positive vibes I am getting from here. The moderators are doing excellent job for keeping the athmosphere light and respectful 👍
  7. Would you like to participate in the giveaway ?  Well...since you are not going to give me Yuzuru, I guess some merchandise would be the next best thing, apart from his skating of course, so yes, maybe...okay, yes 😁