I wasn't sure where to start this topic, since Yuzu has never attended the Japan Open, and I don't expect him to this year either. But I was looking at the entry lists over the years, and there have always been great skaters, and at least one phenomenal performance. It looks like a fun event.

Has anyone been? Seeing as it's held at the Saitama Super Arena, is it easier to get tickets than for other events? When do the tickets go on sale?

What are your best memories of the Japan Open?

I’ve seen Japan Open 2014, 2015 and 2016. As you guessed, tickets would never be sold out because the venue is huge. I don’t remember exactly when they started selling the ticket in the past, but I think it was in August.

Like WTT, this event is more like an exhibition than a competition, and many skaters are not ready to present their program in their best form, but you can still see their competitive programs in full sized rink, and sometimes even those who have already r****d or are currently taking a year off may show up with full competitive program. This was the main reason I went to this event.

My best memory of Japan Open is Nobunari Oda’s performance in 2016. The venue was where he skated as a competitive skater for the last time and where I saw him as a competitive skater for the last time, too. Being able to see him skate his free program again and finish it with a big smile was beyond my dreams. For that performance I will forever be thankful to this event.

As in WTT, you could see the skaters’ reactions to fellow skaters’ performances in this event. In 2014, Patrick and Jeff were cheering up Takahiko and facepalming at Javi’s zayakking. It showed how they empathized with each other regardless of which team/country they represented.

And if you like Tatsuki Machida, you will probably be able to see him in the exhibition, Carnival on Ice.:biggrin:

16 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

how come japan open never invite yuzu?

Don't you think it can be the other way - he doesn't want to take part? IMO it's good for him, it's better to compete at Senior B competition, skate both SP and FS and get some points for ranking.

2 hours ago, Elaine said:

Satoko is not going? Surprised:10640793:

Not surprising though. She just recover hip injury. If I'm not wrong she start back practice on ice early this month.