Fay

Lord of the Rings discussion thread

Fay   

Yay, nice to see so many LOTR and Tolkien fans and nerds!

I just remember the day I lost my heart and my life to Middle Earth - gosh, it was 25 years ago now, I was a student and I couldn't really afford many things, but I bought this cheap book - The Fellowship of the Ring in a Russian translation - because my favourite lecturer had been speaking in glowing terms about this professor. I started reading it, but for some reason first I couldn't get the hang of it, but still persevered. And then one day, on my way to my parents' place, all alone in a train locomotive cabin, I reached the song Frodo sings at the Prancing Pony Inn in Bree - and that was the moment, since I realised it was the story of the Cow that Jumped Over the Moon. I went back to the beginning of the book and started anew. That was the moment - that moment on a train locomotive.

I had a very exciting summer trying to hypothise what's going to happen next, then I went back to university and... was only able to find The Two Towers but not the Return of the King. I sorta went through what the first readers of the LOTR must have experienced - that dreadful suspense of what's going to happen next which thankfully didn't go on for a year, but just for two months when the Return of the King was finally published.

I think no other book has ever changed me as much as this one.

2 hours ago, wildstrawberry said:

LOTR is one of the very rare cases when I prefer the movies over the books.

I think I've watched the trilogy like two dozen times,I was obsessed at one point.

Me too. The books dragged like whoa in certain places, skipped over some really interesting stuff (e.g. Aragorn making the deal with the undead) and there was a sad lack of women. I definitely preferred the movies, although the battles were still way too long for my taste.

From the hobbit movies I only really enjoyed the middle one, although I'd cut out Beorn and most of the "lets run atound the dragon cave" too.

80% of the first movie was unnenecessary. I remember sitting at the cinema, thinking: "Is this in any shape or form connected to the ring or the dragon? No? Why is it in the movie then? The hobbits encounter with trolls, them being chased by those wolflike things, the whole hoopla with goblins, and the biggest wtf: the attack by the rock monsters. Like, what was the point? 

The Thranduil kingdom and Laketown were really intersting, though. Basically, they should have left the 20% of the relevant stuff in the first movie and attached it to the 2nd movie. And they should have left the relevant 30% of the third movie and attached it to the second movie. .... That would have made a really long 2nd movie though. But seriously, I watched the Battle of Five Armies with my Tolkien-nerd of a friend, and when half an hour into the movie they started gearing up for the battle, I asked her: "Wait, already? Is the rest of the movie going to be one long-ass battle?" And she just cringed and said " Yeah, it appears so." But I agree that it could and should have been one movie.

I still rewatch LotR though, especially the Fellowship. 

I remember two years ago being at a rock concert and there was a long guitar solo in the middle. After a few minutes the solo started to quiet down, but then it picked up again. And again. And Again. And again. I found myself thinking, "This is like Return of the King, just when you think this is the end, there's more!"

30 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Me too. The books dragged like whoa in certain places, skipped over some really interesting stuff (e.g. Aragorn making the deal with the undead) and there was a sad lack of women. I definitely preferred the movies, although the battles were still way too long for my taste.

From the hobbit movies I only really enjoyed the middle one, although I'd cut out Beorn and most of the "lets run atound the dragon cave" too.

80% of the first movie was unnenecessary. I remember sitting at the cinema, thinking: "Is this in any shape or form connected to the ring or the dragon? No? Why is it in the movie then? The hobbits encounter with trolls, them being chased by those wolflike things, the whole hoopla with goblins, and the biggest wtf: the attack by the rock monsters. Like, what was the point? 

The Thranduil kingdom and Laketown were really intersting, though. Basically, they should have left the 20% of the relevant stuff in the first movie and attached it to the 2nd movie. And they should have left the relevant 30% of the third movie and attached it to the second movie. .... That would have made a really long 2nd movie though. But seriously, I watched the Battle of Five Armies with my Tolkien-nerd of a friend, and when half an hour into the movie they started gearing up for the battle, I asked her: "Wait, already? Is the rest of the movie going to be one long-ass battle?" And she just cringed and said " Yeah, it appears so." But I agree that it could and should have been one movie.

I still rewatch LotR though, especially the Fellowship. 

I remember two years ago being at a rock concert and there was a long guitar solo in the middle. After a few minutes the solo started to quiet down, but then it picked up again. And again. And Again. And again. I found myself thinking, "This is like Return of the King, just when you think this is the end, there's more!"

The bolded part = the two biggest reasons for me too.
I never read 'The Hobbit' book,and,in general,it's hard to imagine how a less than 400 pages book needs to have a 3 movies adaptation,so I think that it was a typical Hollywood-y money-grabbing reason behind this decision.The critics' reviews when they came out were pretty meh too.I've seen the first one (bored me to no end) and part of the second one,but I just couldn't get into them at all and eventually gave up on the series.
The Fellowship is my favorite and my most watched too.But I really love all 3 LOTR movies a lot.