Fay

Lord of the Rings discussion thread

I guess this is my first post on the new version of the site. :biggrin: Great to find so many fellow fans of Tolkien's world here. I first saw the movies when TTT hit the cinemas. I knew nothing about JRRT's world back then except the 'Hobbit' book which I'd read in my early teens. I had to be persuaded by my family to go see a screening of FotR that one of the cinemas was still showing a year after the first  release. What's there to say? It was love at first sight for me, and it appears to be a lifelong thing. I spent that entire evening talking about nothing else than FotR, demanding spoilers for TTT, and ended up reading the books, watching RotK the following year with fellow nerds Tolkien fans, reading fanfic, and continuing on to the next level with The Silmarillion after I'd discovered Karina Chmiel's works (a Polish artist who draws First Age elves *a lot*, and magnificently). The movies introduced me to the books, but I ended up generally preferring the books. I love the LotR movies eventhough I have my gripes with them ('Go home!' 'The Ring will go to Gondor!' wizard duel! ugh!). I even love the Bakshi films. But. I will not touch the 'Hobbit' movies with a 10-ft pole. Saw movie 1. Saw movie 2. Hated it. Felt it didn't capture JRRT's  world at all, and that I've read a number of fanfics better than that. I never even went to see movie 3. I guess some might call me a book purist for that - I don't care. TH movies were a mix of everything I was happy *wasn't* in the original books. My fangirling is now divided between LotR and Silmarillion. I still read fanfics, draw fanart, and ocassionally watch some of the LotR movies.

My happiness was complete when I discovered 'our' Specs' Hobbit/Hanyu crossover photomanips on Deviant Art - I couldn't believe my luck, two of my favorite things blended in one artwork! :BeatingHeart: And better still, it was a parody of TH movies I did not care for! Now, if anyone knows of more Tolkien/skating artworks, I'll be more than happy if you could point me in the right direction.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just that passionate about Tolkien! ^ ^

p.s. Oh and my favorite characters overall are probably the House of Feanor. They rule. :evilgrin0030: Who are you guys' faves?

7 minutes ago, surimi said:

My happiness was complete when I discovered 'our' Specs' Hobbit/Hanyu crossover photomanips on Deviant Art - I couldn't believe my luck, two of my favorite things blended in one artwork! :BeatingHeart: And better still, it was a parody of TH movies I did not care for! Now, if anyone knows of more Tolkien/skating artworks, I'll be more than happy if you could point me in the right direction.

Wait, wait, what, where, I need this!

Something I forgot to say was - Lotr's soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks out there. It is simply outstanding. Gollum's theme for the end credits of the Two Towers is one of my favourites, but also the Hobbits' theme. One of my dreams has always been to play the musics in an orchestra. The epicness would move me to tears, I believe. 

Rather fittingly, I've just been to a translation conference sitting where we listened to a really interesting story of Tolkien's translations into Russian. So exciting to listen to the story of so many texts. In fact, we might be considered lucky in Russia - we've got around 15 different translation variants. So many versions of the same story.

2 hours ago, surimi said:

I guess this is my first post on the new version of the site. :biggrin: Great to find so many fellow fans of Tolkien's world here. I first saw the movies when TTT hit the cinemas. I knew nothing about JRRT's world back then except the 'Hobbit' book which I'd read in my early teens. I had to be persuaded by my family to go see a screening of FotR that one of the cinemas was still showing a year after the first  release. What's there to say? It was love at first sight for me, and it appears to be a lifelong thing. I spent that entire evening talking about nothing else than FotR, demanding spoilers for TTT, and ended up reading the books, watching RotK the following year with fellow nerds Tolkien fans, reading fanfic, and continuing on to the next level with The Silmarillion after I'd discovered Karina Chmiel's works (a Polish artist who draws First Age elves *a lot*, and magnificently). The movies introduced me to the books, but I ended up generally preferring the books. I love the LotR movies eventhough I have my gripes with them ('Go home!' 'The Ring will go to Gondor!' wizard duel! ugh!). I even love the Bakshi films. But. I will not touch the 'Hobbit' movies with a 10-ft pole. Saw movie 1. Saw movie 2. Hated it. Felt it didn't capture JRRT's  world at all, and that I've read a number of fanfics better than that. I never even went to see movie 3. I guess some might call me a book purist for that - I don't care. TH movies were a mix of everything I was happy *wasn't* in the original books. My fangirling is now divided between LotR and Silmarillion. I still read fanfics, draw fanart, and ocassionally watch some of the LotR movies.

p.s. Oh and my favorite characters overall are probably the House of Feanor. They rule. :evilgrin0030: Who are you guys' faves?

OMG fellow feanorian fan FTW!!! :snpeace:

maedhros = all time fave

you?

16 minutes ago, Fay said:

I'll be boring. Beren and Luthien.

i like beren and luthien too!  i think their love story is awesome and luthien is such a badass

44 minutes ago, Fay said:

Rather fittingly, I've just been to a translation conference sitting where we listened to a really interesting story of Tolkien's translations into Russian. So exciting to listen to the story of so many texts. In fact, we might be considered lucky in Russia - we've got around 15 different translation variants. So many versions of the same story.

that's so cool! awesome!

2 hours ago, surimi said:

ooooh, it's hard to choose... 

Maedhros? 

And also Maeglin, I just love his dark story, how it all begins and the role he gets to play in the end. 

I'm appalled at myself for not noticing this thread. 

The first Tolkien book I read (when I was perhaps 12 or so, and in my language) was The Hobbit, actually. It was recommended to me by the bookstore employee after I bought all the Narnia series in the span of 2 weeks. :xD:

I've watch all the movies, and read the trilogy. I hope to finish the Simarilion by this Summer. 

:offtopic:I'm also a big fan of Harry Potter and the Narnia series. 

OMG just found this thread! I've been LOTR fan like forever, the books and movies are my favorites. The best ever!

and I was so proud when someone quoted "From the ashes a fire shall be woken
a light from the shadows shall spring
renewed shall be blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be King." to describe Yuzuru :BeatingHeart:

On 16. 5. 2017 at 12:48, xeyra said:

Wait, wait, what, where, I need this!

Specs' Deviant Art username is Akoustam 5. Lovely stuff she has there, though some of it, we already know from our Planet. ^ ^

On 16. 5. 2017 at 15:03, sublimeskating said:

OMG fellow feanorian fan FTW!!! :snpeace:

maedhros = all time fave

you?

Hard to choose! Maedhros and Maglor are awesome, plus I have a thing for Caranthir who cannot keep his big mouth shut (reminds me of myself, lol!). And for the Big Bad Daddy himself as well. :popcorn: As for the rest, I'd need to read a really really good fanfic to develop any attachment to them, there's a either a lot about them that I don't like (Celegorm and Curufin), or way too little (the twins). Though not even a great fic did that for me with a guy like Maeglin. :/

I've read HP too, and I am a fan a bit, but not in the way I feel for Middle-earth. Usually I drift away from the HP fandom for months, or even years, before I return, and that only shortly.

20 hours ago, Dandelion said:

OMG just found this thread! I've been LOTR fan like forever, the books and movies are my favorites. The best ever!

and I was so proud when someone quoted "From the ashes a fire shall be woken
a light from the shadows shall spring
renewed shall be blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be King." to describe Yuzuru :BeatingHeart:

I like it. I personally prefer the one about the 'glass full of light' (book quote, didn't make it into the movies) quote to describe what I feel when watching Yuzuru skate. When Hydro next opens the banner requests, I am already waiting in line, because I need that in a banner. :heart:

Wow. What a wonderful planet!!

I came to know about the books through the movies. Yup, the historic (if you like) cinematic years when the audience had Harry Potter and LotR side by side. I was reading a magazine article featuring HP but it mentioned briefly that LotR, the iconic fantasy classics, was also coming to the cinema at about the same time. Out of curiosity I googled about the movie. Then I saw excerpts of the FotR trailer on TV. The rest is history.
I saw all three instalments in the theatre. When RotK was on, I was visiting my friend in New York City. We went to the movie together. And we both cried when the credit roller started.
In the book, I like Gandalf the best. Aragon is my second most fav. But in the movies, I like Aragon the best (mesmerising performance by Viggo Mortensen). I went to FotR twice only to see Viggo again...
I caught up with the novels before RotK was shown. I like Silmarillion even better as I love the Elves. But I haven't read Unfinished Tales. It will be quite a journey to go through the whole collection, novels and The History of Middle-Earth series.

I also like Alan Lee's illustrations. 

^ Both HoME and Unfinished Tales are rather fragmented and with lots of footnotes; I shamelessly admit to sifting through them to read the parts that I find interesting. :P*cough*ShibbolethofFeanor*cough* 'Of Tuor', the first unfinished tale, is one of my all-time faves though.

The Silmarillion would make an epic movie franchise in this digital age, but I'm not sure I want a real cast playing Elves and Valar...