Lord of the Rings discussion thread

Fay

We've discovered recently there are quite a few LOTR nerds almost  quoting Silmarillion over here - so let's get a place of our in the planet and talk about anything on Middle Earth - be it a book or film versions.

So when did you start your journey through Middle Earth? And what captured you?

Who do you identify with in the Tolkien's world?

Do you like Peter Jackson's films?

Etc etc etc - be free to discuss anything if you like!!!

I have to say that I was excited about Jackson's LOTR (though VERY critical of some changes - really, Peter, the ents were that stupid?), but the Hobbit turned out to be a complete failure to me despite superior computer-generated work. Martin Freeman was excellent as Bilbo, the dwarves were good, Ian McKellen was fantastic - but the story could have been told in a single two-hour movie.

We have serious LOTR fans here... :0001:

I remember that LOTR became very famous in Portugal around the time when Harry Potter got also a lot of attention. My friends would always compare both series even though they are so different from each other! 

And 'The Return of the King' was actually the first movie I ever watched on a cinema theater so it kind of holds a special place in my heart... haha!

1 minute ago, Puniyo said:

We have serious LOTR fans here... :0001:

I remember that LOTR became very famous in Portugal around the time when Harry Potter got also a lot of attention. My friends would always compare both series even though they are so different from each other! 

And 'The Return of the King' was actually the first movie I ever watched on a cinema theater so it kind of holds a special place in my heart... haha!

You started with the Return of the King?

Just now, Fay said:

You started with the Return of the King?

Nono, I watched the first two movies at home (Fellowship still my favorite of the three) but then a friend of mine dragged me to the cinema (around 2003 if I'm not wrong, the time it was commercially released) because he just loved the series so much... haha!

Just now, ralucutzagy said:

He's scottish! Is his traditional music. I love scottish/irish music!:snonegai:

yeah, I love Billy's Scottish accent. It's so beautiful!

1 minute ago, Puniyo said:

Nono, I watched the first two movies at home (Fellowship still my favorite of the three) but then a friend of mine dragged me to the cinema (around 2003 if I'm not wrong, the time it was commercially released) because he just loved the series so much... haha!

Hope you didn't regret spending the money and time. It has to be seen on a huge screen, really!

Just now, Fay said:

Hope you didn't regret spending the money and time. It has to be seen on a huge screen, really!

He was the one who paid the tickets actually... haha!

But I really loved it! Watching it in the big screen is a whole new experience... I even cried at the end during the coronation scene :embSwan:

OK, as for me, I'd loved the LOTR (book) for a decade before the film came out, so I was sorta trembling with anticipation when I went to see it to the nearest cinema at 9 in the morning (I was a postgraduate student, I had the time). The shivers the very first sounds of the music and Galadriel's voice sent through me - ah, I've never had that sensation in the cinema since then!

I have to say I had an awkward feeling about all the changes the director made in the story, but I came to accept them. I watched it compulsively during that summer - I went to the cinema dozens of times, I learnt it by heart...