Lord of the Rings discussion thread

Fay

LOTR was basically my obsession when I was little. I watched it pretty often (like once a week? for months??) until I could speak out the words by memory. At first I listened to it in italian, then I changed to english. It was the beginning of a journey to learn english. But I was always very afraid of the books, because of their lenght. 

To this day, I am in the middle of the second book, and I have yet to finish the trilogy xD 

But LOTR and all its characters are part of my childhood, my relationship with my family (we're all fans), and a big piece of me. 

Favourite scene: 

"I am no man." *Takes helmet off* "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH".

6 minutes ago, Fay said:

OK, as for me, I'd loved the LOTR (book) for a decade before the film came out, so I was sorta trembling with anticipation when I went to see it to the nearest cinema at 9 in the morning (I was a postgraduate student, I had the time). The shivers the very first sounds of the music and Galadriel's voice sent through me - ah, I've never had that sensation in the cinema since then!

I have to say I had an awkward feeling about all the changes the director made in the story, but I came to accept them. I watched it compulsively during that summer - I went to the cinema dozens of times, I learnt it by heart...

Now that's what I call a real fan! Me and my husband, we are like what can we watch when we are bored: A LOTR marathon! He's a fan too, of course!

2 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

wow that's so awesome!  what a fun way to bond!  it's great that your husband also loves lotr!!!

I like Harry Potter too! (not like LOTR through)I read all the books and see all the movies! My husband not so much! But fantastic it's fantastic! LOL

7 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

OMG i'm the same!  i love the harry potter series very much too because i read them when i was very very sick and couldn't go to school ... reading those books (slowly) was the only way for me to take my mind off and feel happy at that time so they always will be very special books to me...

but anyway, harry potter!  yes they are fantastic books!  and the movies!  i watched them all!  in cinema with friends or family or even sometimes by myself (when they are too busy to keep me company).  i seen the harry potter movies and lotr movies many times and also have the books all lined up on my shelf hahaha

the harry potter books have been released with really beautiful new shiny covers (my books are the 1st edition covers that are more plain) and even when i see them in book shops i will go look at them for a bit hehe

Haha, we are off-topic! There was a Harry Potter fever in my city! LOL Everytime a new book was relesed or a new movie appeared we stayed in big lines for the books or the movie tickets at the premiere! It was so fun! I'm sorry that the series are over! 

10 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

me too!  i miss the harry potter series!  oh the potter fever is strong in my city too, with people all lining up at midnight and stuff

i think there was a news report about some people breaking into warehouses to steal the books before they were released to book stores LOL

oops i didn't mean to go off-topic! :snpeace:

OMG! I remember that I read Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince for the first time way before it appeared in stores, I downloaded it from a torrent site and it was like photographed page by page! Crazy ppl! :Shocked:

Ooooh, how come I didn't notice this thread? 

LOTR is basically my childhood. I remember my dad would always watch it on weekends back in the day and that was where it started. I began joining him and at first couldn't grasp the concept and the story (What was going on? Who was Saruman? Who was Sauron? So many names, haha :rolleye0008: ) After several weekends spent watching the movies I was a fully converted LOTR fan, hehe. 

Unfortunately, I read the books later, seeing everything like it was in the movies. But it was wonderful too, so many precious details that didn't make it into the movies. 

Then two years ago I felt a crazy urge to learn more about the Middle Earth and fell straight down the pit of Silmarillion and learning to write in Tengwar. My inner nerd even made me attempt learning Sindarin at some point :59182ab50fefa_smile(1): 

I do think that the LOTR movie adaptation is a true masterpiece, especially the Fellowship (minus the part where Galadriel turns into an evil monster for a moment :smiley_facepalm: )  

The Hobbit? Nah. Stupid jokes, Legolas wearing those horrible blue lenses and all those special effects ruined it for me. Especially the last part. Everything looks so fake and wrong. Ugh. But it didn't prevent me from crying rivers in the movie theater :59182a8d937bc_biggrin(1):

58 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Silmarillion is my favorite Tolkien book, above even the original Trilogy, mostly because I was absolutely in love with the history of the elves. 

Same here! It is so epic and beautiful! I love the history of the elves too. I also loved the idea of the world being created with the help of music, what a great concept.

Just now, Smultron said:

Same here! It is so epic and beautiful! I love the history of the elves too. I also loved the idea of the world being created with the help of music, what a great concept.

I should really re-read it soon. There's so many little details I've forgotten. 

15 hours ago, Fay said:

Rohan has got to be my favourite theme!

+1000!!! It's my favorite too and it's so strong! I also keep waiting for more skaters to take LOTR soundtracks... 

I re-watch LOTR and Hobbit movies every winter (usually in January) and re-read the LOTR books every spring... And I always find some new quote that I didn't pay attention previously. :BeatingHeart:

I guess this is my first post on the new version of the site. :biggrin: Great to find so many fellow fans of Tolkien's world here. I first saw the movies when TTT hit the cinemas. I knew nothing about JRRT's world back then except the 'Hobbit' book which I'd read in my early teens. I had to be persuaded by my family to go see a screening of FotR that one of the cinemas was still showing a year after the first  release. What's there to say? It was love at first sight for me, and it appears to be a lifelong thing. I spent that entire evening talking about nothing else than FotR, demanding spoilers for TTT, and ended up reading the books, watching RotK the following year with fellow nerds Tolkien fans, reading fanfic, and continuing on to the next level with The Silmarillion after I'd discovered Karina Chmiel's works (a Polish artist who draws First Age elves *a lot*, and magnificently). The movies introduced me to the books, but I ended up generally preferring the books. I love the LotR movies eventhough I have my gripes with them ('Go home!' 'The Ring will go to Gondor!' wizard duel! ugh!). I even love the Bakshi films. But. I will not touch the 'Hobbit' movies with a 10-ft pole. Saw movie 1. Saw movie 2. Hated it. Felt it didn't capture JRRT's  world at all, and that I've read a number of fanfics better than that. I never even went to see movie 3. I guess some might call me a book purist for that - I don't care. TH movies were a mix of everything I was happy *wasn't* in the original books. My fangirling is now divided between LotR and Silmarillion. I still read fanfics, draw fanart, and ocassionally watch some of the LotR movies.

My happiness was complete when I discovered 'our' Specs' Hobbit/Hanyu crossover photomanips on Deviant Art - I couldn't believe my luck, two of my favorite things blended in one artwork! :BeatingHeart: And better still, it was a parody of TH movies I did not care for! Now, if anyone knows of more Tolkien/skating artworks, I'll be more than happy if you could point me in the right direction.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just that passionate about Tolkien! ^ ^

p.s. Oh and my favorite characters overall are probably the House of Feanor. They rule. :evilgrin0030: Who are you guys' faves?

7 minutes ago, surimi said:

My happiness was complete when I discovered 'our' Specs' Hobbit/Hanyu crossover photomanips on Deviant Art - I couldn't believe my luck, two of my favorite things blended in one artwork! :BeatingHeart: And better still, it was a parody of TH movies I did not care for! Now, if anyone knows of more Tolkien/skating artworks, I'll be more than happy if you could point me in the right direction.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just that passionate about Tolkien! ^ ^

Wait, wait, what, where, I need this!