[2022] Beijing Winter Olympic Games: Fluff, News, Other Sports, etc!

Yuzu_legend

18 minutes ago, Sora said:

Can you imagine if the Eter girls won't be allowed to participate because of that? What a wonderful twist of fate (karma) would that be?

Well, that's not really wonderful. I don't wish that on any Olympic athlete, and considering the short period when Eteri girls are on the top of their team before they are replaced by a teammate, they would probably miss their last Olympic chance.

Maybe they caught up the vaccination and didn't made it public or there is a russian plan B... I believe it only when it turns out to be official. But of course you are right: Such a twist would mess up the women's field. I think it would be more interesting to watch the women's competition.

Welcome to the planet! :wave: It's a great time to join. We will complete several pages in the near future. :party2:

1 hour ago, DancingFeather said:

Well, that's not really wonderful. I don't wish that on any Olympic athlete, and considering the short period when Eteri girls are on the top of their team before they are replaced by a teammate, they would probably miss their last Olympic chance.

Maybe they caught up the vaccination and didn't made it public or there is a russian plan B... I believe it only when it turns out to be official. But of course you are right: Such a twist would mess up the women's field. I think it would be more interesting to watch the women's competition.

Welcome to the planet! :wave: It's a great time to join. We will complete several pages in the near future. :party2:

Russian teenage athletes were exempted from this, because  they can't legally get vaccinated in their country (not only them, but most notably), I don't think anything changed here, because we would hear the rage from RusFed and Olympic Commitee by now, lol

Guest turquoiseblue
2 hours ago, Sora said:

The german commentator at Euros said, that none of the Eteri girls are vaccinated. Previously there had been an understanding (from chinese olys) that if you're under 18 there's no obligation to be vaccianted. But IOC apparently denied this decision and every athlete has to be vaccinated to participate. If they are not, they have to go into a 21 day quarantine after they land in China.

Can you imagine if the Eter girls won't be allowed to participate because of that? What a wonderful twist of fate (karma) would that be? :girlsigh: Wonder who they would send istead? :giggle:

Yuzu surely is vaccinated by now, right? I heard Japan had a slow start but caught up now.

BTW I'm new so I hope this was the right thread to post this! :wave:

Hello and welcome to the Planet, @Sora:welcome:

Here is the vaccination policy for Beijing 2022:

zYLCgow.jpg

Source: Beijing 2022 Playbooks

Guest turquoiseblue

Mass testing launched in Beijing as COVID-19 fears grow less than two weeks before Olympics open
22 January 2022

The capital registered nine symptomatic coronavirus patients and three asymptomatic cases today, all traced to cold-chain storage facilities used to handle imported food, according to the state-run Global Times.

All of the newly infected are employees at, or have a connection to, two storage facilities for fruit in the Fengtai district in the south-west part of the city.

Considering 63 cases were reported across China's 1.402 billion population today, 12 in one district has caused alarm bells to ring.

In all, 34 COVID-19 cases have been reported in Beijing since this outbreak was first detected on January 15.

In addition to the storage facilities, a residential building and a restaurant have been temporarily locked down.

All residents in three nearby communities are being tested in order to find any potential carriers.

City health authorities asked residents who have been to any of the places people with COVID-19 are known to have visited to notify officials and take nucleic acid tests immediately.

With the Games fewer than two weeks away, Beijing health authorities have urged districts to maintain "full emergency mode" as positive cases continue to be reported.

Beijing 2022 says no foreign athletes have tested positive yet for Covid-19 after arrival
22 January 2022

(CNN) No foreign athletes who have arrived in Beijing for the Winter Olympic Games have tested positive for Covid-19 as of Wednesday, according to Beijing 2022's media team.

"If any athlete tests positive for COVID-19, he/she will be reported and managed according to relevant requirements," the media team told CNN on Saturday.

The media team did not say whether any other Olympic personnel outside of athletes had tested positive. CNN has followed up requesting this information but has not yet heard back.

As of Friday, more than 2,000 participants have arrived in Beijing, including athletes, officials, members of the IOC and media, according to the official app for the Beijing Winter Games.

Guest turquoiseblue

Beijing Olympic Committee lowers threshold for producing negative COVID-19 test
23 January 2022

The Beijing Olympic Committee and Chinese authorities are lowering the threshold for producing a negative test for any participant arriving at the Games, dropping the cycle threshold (Ct) value from 40 to 35.

A communication by Beijing 2022 was sent out Sunday explaining the change. The lower value makes it easier for participants to produce a negative test, especially if previously infected.

This comes 48 hours after the higher threshold value was questioned.

The higher the Ct value, the less infectious a person with COVID-19 is. Many places in Canada use a Ct value of 35.

The NBA and NHL use 30, while the NFL has set its threshold at 35.

"In order to adapt to the reality of the current environment and further support of Games participants, Beijing 2022 and the Chinese authorities, in consultation with medical experts and IOC, refined the countermeasures with the following changes effective 23 January 2022," it said in the communication.

Effective immediately for both airport testing and screening testing, participants whose PCR results have a Ct value greater than or equal to 35 will be managed in the same way as a close contact for seven days and will not generate any close contacts.

Anyone with a PCR result of less than 35 will be considered positive.

Beijing Olympic organizers have confirmed 72 cases of COVID-19 among 2,586 Games-related personnel entering China from Jan. 4 to Jan. 22, with no cases among 171 athletes and team officials arriving in that period.

Other changes

Further changes include that if a positive participant spends 10 days or more in isolation, then that person will be released to their Games time accommodation if they are not displaying any COVID-19 symptoms and if their PCR results have a Ct value greater than or equal to 35 for the past three consecutive days.

Another change is reducing the time in which a person is deemed a close contact, dropping from two weeks to seven days. "During that period, testing will be carried out twice daily.

The close contact will be able to choose whether their PCR test sample is collected as a nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal swab," the communication explained.

1 hour ago, turquoiseblue said:

Honestly, I bet my head on these people catching it while travelling. I’m confident everyone has stayed at home/in a very closed bubble for quite some time before leaving their country - I know I would - so there are obviously people flying with COVID. Which means they either fake their tests before travelling because they can’t be arsed to do a real one, or airport/airline staff is turning a blind eye a lot of times which I know for fact does happen because my neighbour travelled twice in the last few months and both times no one looked at her PCR test.