[2022] Beijing Winter Olympic Games: Fluff, News, Other Sports, etc!

Yuzu_legend

Guest turquoiseblue

Concerning news about Beijing 2022 app:

IOC branded "irresponsible" for using Beijing 2022 app researchers claims put users at risk
19 January 2022

Athleten Deutschland has hit out at the IOC after a report by a watchdog group raised serious cybersecurity concerns with the "My2022" smartphone app.

Research carried out by the Citizen Lab, an interdisciplinary laboratory based at the Munk School of Global Affairs at the University of Toronto in Canada, found that My2022 has a "simple but devastating flaw" that would make users’ sensitive information at risk of being hacked.

Athletes, officials and other attendees of the Games are asked to start using the app 14 days before flying to the Chinese capital as part of Beijing 2022’s COVID-19 countermeasures.

Once downloaded on their smartphones, users are required to submit health and travel information including COVID-19 test results and vaccination certificate.

The multi-functional app also allows attendees to transfer files, find out the latest news and weather from Beijing and offers video and audio chat tools.

However, Citizen Lab examined the app and found that a "simple but devastating flaw" allows the encryption protecting users’ voice audio and file transfers to be "trivially sidestepped".

The report raises concerns that the sensitive data could be read by any "passive eavesdropped" and claims server responses can be "spoofed" to allow a hacker to provide fake instructions to users.

Jeffrey Knockel, author of Citizen Lab, claimed the "worst-case scenario is that someone is intercepting all the traffic and recording all the passport details, all the medical details".

The IOC insisted there are "no critical vulnerabilities" with the app, insisting it had conducted "independent third-party assessments".

Athleten Deutschland urged athletes to "protect themselves" by not taking personal devices, including mobile phones and laptops, to Beijing.

"It is inexplicable and irresponsible of the IOC to require participants to use an app with such glaring security vulnerabilities," the statement added.

NOCs in the United States, Germany, Britain, Canada and The Netherlands have also advised athletes not to take personal devises including phones and laptops prior to leaving for the Winter Olympics.

Guest turquoiseblue
2 hours ago, Anni said:

News about Team Japan

Congratulations to them:congratualtions:

Nordic combined skier Akito Watabe will also be the flag bearer.

Olympics: Speed skater Miho Takagi named Japan captain for Beijing Games

The Japanese Olympic Committee on Thursday named speed skater Miho Takagi as team captain for the upcoming Beijing Winter Games, where the three-time Olympian is expected to contend for multiple gold medals.

The JOC also named speed skater Arisa Go and Nordic combined skier Akito Watabe as flagbearers for the opening ceremony of the Feb. 4-20 games.

This article says the team-forming ceremony of Team Japan will be held on January 29 in Tokyo, but it doesn't say how many or who will attend. Today the number of Covid patients was around 9,700 and it will be risky to gather for many athletes at one place in my opinion. I hope Yuzuru will not attend to be honest. 

https://nordot.app/856855046394249216?c=39550187727945729

Guest turquoiseblue
2 hours ago, yude said:

This article says the team-forming ceremony of Team Japan will be held on January 29 in Tokyo, but it doesn't say how many or who will attend. Today the number of Covid patients was around 9,700 and it will be risky to gather for many athletes at one place in my opinion. I hope Yuzuru will not attend to be honest. 

https://nordot.app/856855046394249216?c=39550187727945729

Here is the video of the Tokyo Olympic team inauguration ceremony:

In consideration of the COVID-19 situation, only 6 members, including the team's captain, the vice-captain and the flag-bearer, took part in the ceremony while others joined online. I'm sure Yuzu won't attend the ceremony in person :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

After a exhausting week because of Covid-adapted work I have read some pages of the Olympic Playbook. Well, I stop complaining for now. I have great reverence for what the athletes take on, not only for their hard work and preparation throughout the years to reach the best condition and results in this competition, but also for undergoing the rules, tests, restrictions for everything. And then there won't even be spectators "as ususal" to appreciate their efforts. In additional, they certainly feel pressure, fear maybe.

Where do you take the motivation from for all that? How can you peak under these circumstances when nothing around you can be called "normal"? Yet all these athletes will do their best, take the rare opportunity to participate at the Olympic Games because it is a unique stage. And the whole world is watching them from afar, sitting comfortably in front of the screen. What is the loss of a few nerves on our side compared to the athletes overcoming all these obstacles!

Generally speaking, these top athletes are truly exceptional people. And in particular: Our beloved athlete takes it all upon himself for a total of about 7 minutes - and he'll be exceptional. Wow. I love him.

The german commentator at Euros said, that none of the Eteri girls are vaccinated. Previously there had been an understanding (from chinese olys) that if you're under 18 there's no obligation to be vaccianted. But IOC apparently denied this decision and every athlete has to be vaccinated to participate. If they are not, they have to go into a 21 day quarantine after they land in China.

Can you imagine if the Eter girls won't be allowed to participate because of that? What a wonderful twist of fate (karma) would that be? :girlsigh: Wonder who they would send istead? :giggle:

Yuzu surely is vaccinated by now, right? I heard Japan had a slow start but caught up now.

BTW I'm new so I hope this was the right thread to post this! :wave: