Uploading Avatars and Credits

robin

Hey guys,

I hope everyone saw the announcement about saving your avatars that was posted up some time ago. They have to be re-uploaded now. :heart:

Here's how to:

8adsfSL.jpg

Note: Make sure you add the link to the source of your avatar if it isn't your own work in the Image Credit field.

We have two fields for this purpose now: The first one let's you insert URLs only, as usual, and the second one let's you insert any text, eg. if you do not know the source you can input "Please PM me if you know the source." or if it is your own work you can state it here, too.

If you have any trouble with uploading your avatar or finding the source post in this thread and we will try to help you!

• robin pinned this topic
21 minutes ago, omn119 said:

If my avatar picture was just found in Google, I just need to add "Google" in the "Image credit"? Sorry for the stupid question, I really do not understand the technical issues in the forums...:???:

Google is never a proper source. The credit has to lead to the owner of the photo.

Can you give me the link? Maybe I can help with finding the source :)

eta: or if you don't have the link upload it to imgur.com and I can have a look at it

Unfortunately, I don't have a source and even Google search can't help me with that. I can't even put "source unknown, please PM if you know the source" in the image credit field as it requires URL. Do I have to change my avatar? :(

My new avatar is a picture I took of a page in Aoi Honoo... So it's both mine and not mine, but no idea how I could credit that... I don't know if it's possible, but making the Image Credit field accept non-URL text would probably help a lot of people

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

My new avatar is a picture I took of a page in Aoi Honoo... So it's both mine and not mine, but no idea how I could credit that... I don't know if it's possible, but making the Image Credit field accept non-URL text would probably help a lot of people

Crediting is mainly important when using fanart or fantaken photos and also scans by fans. While it's nice to credit always, if you've taken a photo of a copy of ai honoo yourself it's ok to leave out credits completely. :)

2 hours ago, Icy said:

Unfortunately, I don't have a source and even Google search can't help me with that. I can't even put "source unknown, please PM if you know the source" in the image credit field as it requires URL. Do I have to change my avatar? :(

No you can leave it for now. We will come up with a feature to do that soon :)

32 minutes ago, Dori6886 said:

I searched for source for my avatar and it seems it's a photo from this magazine (I dont know japanese, so i don't know the name). How I shoud credit it?

since it isn't taken by a fan it's fine even if you don't credit it

On 2017/5/15 at 06:21, Dori6886 said:

I searched for source for my avatar and it seems it's a photo from this magazine (I dont know japanese, so i don't know the name). How I shoud credit it?

Hello from Tokyo Japan.  Here's my 5 yen to this topic.  Being a Japanese, I think I can read the magazine title.  It's "フィギュアスケートプリンス2016-2017シーズン総集編  (Figure Skate Prince 2016 - 2017 Season Memorial)" published by Eiwa Publishing Co.  

So if you go veeeeery strict on copyright issues, you have to contact the publisher and receive a written admission (most probably by paying a certain amount) from them before using their photos, because the publisher bought the photos themselves from news agencies such as AFLO.

But this "policy" would make our fandom world very tight and uneasy, wouldn't it?  So I personally think you don't have to go as far as to do it if you are not thinking making some money out of their photos.

Instead, if you happen to know the name of the magazine and/or its publishing company, it's quite a nice idea if you put it in the Image Credit section.  Then someone interested in your profile photo may want to buy the magazine with the said photo in clean print!

After all, I think it's completely okay if you omit crediting if your profile photo is from a magazine, if it's a policy stipulated by the admin team of this form, and it would be quite nice if you credit the magazine and/or publishing company if you happen to know its name(s) (in other words, it's not a "must", it's a "very good idea!").

I sincerely hope my English will make some sense.  :Strawberry::tomato:

sis.

2 hours ago, sister555 said:

Hello from Tokyo Japan.  Here's my 5 yen to this topic.  Being a Japanese, I think I can read the magazine title.  It's "フィギュアスケートプリンス2016-2017シーズン総集編  (Figure Skate Prince 2016 - 2017 Season Memorial)" published by Eiwa Publishing Co.  

So if you go veeeeery strict on copyright issues, you have to contact the publisher and receive a written admission (most probably by paying a certain amount) from them before using their photos, because the publisher bought the photos themselves from news agencies such as AFLO.

But this "policy" would make our fandom world very tight and uneasy, wouldn't it?  So I personally think you don't have to go as far as to do it if you are not thinking making some money out of their photos.

Instead, if you happen to know the name of the magazine and/or its publishing company, it's quite a nice idea if you put it in the Image Credit section.  Then someone interested in your profile photo may want to buy the magazine with the said photo in clean print!

After all, I think it's completely okay if you omit crediting if your profile photo is from a magazine, if it's a policy stipulated by the admin team of this form, and it would be quite nice if you credit the magazine and/or publishing company if you happen to know its name(s) (in other words, it's not a "must", it's a "very good idea!").

I sincerely hope my English will make some sense.  :Strawberry::tomato:

sis.

Thank you! I will credit the magazine since now I know the title :yes: And your english is great :happy0158:

18 hours 時間前, Dori6886 said:

Thank you! I will credit the magazine since now I know the title :yes: And your english is great :happy0158:

Thank you ever so much!!:626gdau: (Blush blush) (´∀`*)ポッ

Hello

I am a new member in this forum.

I have tried unsuccessfully to install a photo of Yuzuru as my avatar.

I have done all the steps to upload the photo. I tried to reduce the size to fit the square for the avatar.

I also tried to reposition the photo according to the instructions, but it seems to reduce only vertically, not horizontally, so the photo is too big to fit.

Please help me. Thank you.

vadrouille

Just now, Vadrouille said:

Hello

I am a new member in this forum.

I have tried unsuccessfully to install a photo of Yuzuru as my avatar.

I have done all the steps to upload the photo. I tried to reduce the size to fit the square for the avatar.

I also tried to reposition the photo according to the instructions, but it seems to reduce only vertically, not horizontally, so the photo is too big to fit.

Please help me. Thank you.

vadrouille

Hi and welcome :) I'll be happy to help you.

I am sorry but I have failed to understand what your problem is exactly.

Do you get an error when saving the avatar? Or does it get cropped in a way you don't want it to?

Hello everyone,

I just want to bring to everyone's attention that we have a second Image Credit field now. You can input any text in this one, eg. in case you don't know the source or if you want to add any other information.

• robin unpinned this topic