Favorite commentators and their famous lines

Throughout the years, have you had favorite commentators or any particular piece of commentary that you have liked?

I'm particularly partial to Mr. Ambesi, to whom we owe our lovely name, and his co-commentator Angelo, due both to their enthusiasm and the knowledge they share with all of us but I am also quite partial to the Russian ESP commentators, especially the 4CC 2017 commentary, where one of my favorite lines happened, when he compared Yuzuru's skating to him mastering a foreign language.

I also am also always appreciative of those who take the time to properly appreciate athletes like Jason Brown or Misha Ge, who may not have quads but sure do grace us with wonderful skating.

Aside from Mr. Ambesi and his colleague Angelo, I really appreciate the British Eurosport commentators Nick Slater and Simon Reed, very big Yuzu fans, and their line that remained with me is: "This guy can do anything, and put the quads in it" and the tdp commentators Susana and Paloma, always so supportive and with very objective comments for all the skaters, but big Yuzu fans, too (love the line they said often: ''A sus pies senor Hanyu, a sus pies" ).

A special mention for Ted Barton, who comments on You Tube channel the JGP Series, always with a kind word for every young skater there.

I also like the Russians because they are very knowledgable. I just wish I would understand Russian while I watch the stream of Match Arena/Sport TV, then I'd enjoy their commentaries even more.

Max and Angelo, of course :bow:

Simon and Chris, because I grew up listening to them, and I always liked their enthusiasm and positive way of commentating. I think they complement each other well, too (that's one reason Nicky or Mark Hanretty aren't really my favourites). Sometimes they say things which are questionable, but as a whole, I appreciate their work. (ETA: revisiting this comment after many years, they aren't amongst the commentators I like anymore. Chris is often biased and Simon can't keep up with the current trends of skating, he also doesn't know a lot of skaters etc.)

It was only his first year as a commentator, but I was very impressed by András Rosnik's commentary at Worlds, he is not only knowledgable but seems to be a big Yuzuru fan as well. I am looking forward to listening to him more in the next season, I really hope he will commentate the Olympic Games and World Championships.

I need a bit more time to think about my favourite famous lines.

I was re-watching Yuzu's Worlds 2012 FS (again) and I'm bringing here Tracy Wilson's famous quote:

"When Yuzuru's on, his jumps are sensational, when he's off his falls are spectacular!".

I'm so glad that Max and Angelo are so appreciated among Yuzu's hardcore fans because to me they are the most competent and knowledgeable figure skating commentators out there.I love how Max just went WILD and unleashed his inner Yuzuru uber after Yuzu's FS in Helsinki.I also loved one of Angelo's lines : 'This is the best FS ever skated by Hanyu which means this is the best FS ever skated in history'(TELL THEM!).Some of my other favorite commentaries from them are the NHK 2015 (sp and fs) and GPF 2015(sp and fs).

Paloma and Susana are also among my faves,they've been fans of Yuzu from way back,and even if they have a horse in the race,they keep it so classy and always show so much admiration for Yuzu and rightfully praise his achievements.

I also like the BEsp (altho i don't know who is who since apparently there are a bunch of them lol).I actually thought their commentary on Yuzu's FS at Helsinki was great and i didn't understood why some fans were upset since their commentary is basically made of 3759349 superlatives('brilliant,phenomenal,hanyu at his very best,the best FS ever' etc) .Other than that,I particularly remember some of their fluff commentaries 'wrap him up in cotton wool'(at gpf 2011) or the more recent one at NHK 2016 FS which i laugh about and say let's make a drinking game - take a sip every time they say Yuzu is adorable or adored :rofl2:

Some random mentions - I really liked the Hungarian and the Finnish commentary for Yuzu's Helsinki FS - the Hungarian one was so professional and level-headed,but with so much rightful admiration.And the Finnish one was really nice too,I remember watching all the clips with commentaries from various countries when someone uploaded soon after the day of the FS and,obviously,not understanding most of them,but from the tone of voice I thought that the Finnish one was a good one.And recently I saw that someone uploaded a sub for that one on youtube and I watched it again and confirmed that I was right.

And a special shout-out to Nobu :pbow:

When it comes to those who no longer commentate, have a favorite of mine, the gold standard indeed

"And then a fall at the end of it, which was absolutely unnecessary and uncalled for" :rofl: but so many good bits.

Yatagarasu said:
When it comes to those who no longer commentate, have a favorite of mine, the gold standard indeed

"And then a fall at the end of it, which was absolutely unnecessary and uncalled for" :rofl: but so many good bits.

He's ruthless, but hilarious!!!

Smultron said:
Can anyone explain the line: If that doesn't put a fonizzle in her shonizzle, nothing else will" :bow:

It sounds hilarious but I can't fully enjoy it because English isn't my first language :biggrin:

I do believe it's a play at fo shizzle ma nizzle expression, but he didn't really use it right, because that means 'for sure'. He did have some weird expressions sometimes :grin:

The commentator lady for CCTV5, Chen Ying, is known for using poetic language and sometimes quoting poetry in her commentary. (She depends more on the "expert guest" for technical stuff lol.) And she's a Yuzu uber. So combine those two things, the result is some really nice words for Yuzu that sometimes sound more like a fan's tribute than commentary on sports TV.:59182a8d937bc_biggrin(1): I translated one just now and would like to share here. I don't know a thing about English poetry meter, so please pardon me if some things don't make sense...:redface:

This is from Worlds gala in Helsinki, after Notte Stella:

"So fortunate to have known your countenance,

Blooming like peach blossoms;

Ever since then, all the paths that I walk,

Are blessed with an eternal spring."

We feel very lucky to see Hanyu Yuzuru at his most beautiful age. Time sails away, eyes could tell stories, and finally our deeply touched feelings have found home in him. All youths will one day fade to grey, but in our hearts there will always be a place for Hanyu Yuzuru.

Edit:

And now I just can't resist doing another one :D

This is after Worlds LP

"It's easy to seek success, but hard to achieve it.

It's easy to achieve success, but hard to hold on to it.

It's easy to hold on to success, but hard to hold on till the very end."

As an Olympic Champion, with his determination like the unstoppable blooming of cherry blossoms, Hanyu Yuzuru, again and again, stands upright and proudly on the rinks of international competitions. 

During the program, Pang Qing (former pair skater, expert guest commentator) and I both watched with our hands in fists. After it ended, there were tears in our eyes. Yuzuru can alway touch the softest spot in your heart.

He fights so hard in his programs. In him you can see the spirit of athleticism practiced to its finest. Look into his eyes. He can overcome any hardships, no matter what. If you walk by him,  you'll see that he's a handsome and delicate young man, yet he's got unfathomable mental power. There is a tiger living inside of him. It doesn't matter if he falls into what looks to other people like the direst straits, he will always rise up again, above everybody else.

223.20, the highest score ever of the ISU. It can only be set again and again by Hanyu Yuzuru. He's surpassing no one but himself.

We cannot tell if it's sweat or tear on his face. Everything he's earned is so well-deserved. He deserves all that's best and beautiful in the world, and all the glory this world has to offer.

OK, she's definitely not commentating in the end. She's speaking for all the fans who're crying  tears of joy in from of the TV:sadPooh: :space:

On 13.05.2017 at 19:34, Yatagarasu said:

I do believe it's a play at fo shizzle ma nizzle expression, but he didn't really use it right, because that means 'for sure'. He did have some weird expressions sometimes :grin:

Oh, i see. Yeah, those comments are something :59182a8d937bc_biggrin(1):