Books and Literature

yuzupon

After finishing my exam this sunday :yay: I can continue swimming deep into the Beat Generation books (Jack Kerouac :bow: ). I wonder what kind of person I will be at the end of this great odyssey

And here I was getting worried I was the only one with two bookcases of yet-to-read books..

Only two? Amateur! :rofl2:

One day I need to upload my bookcase photos somewhere and share the pain of too many books.

Erm... OK, another one at my parents' place... 1200 kilometers off from here!

I've had to move quite a lot, so I learnt to restrain myself when it came to books. And I learnt to give them away!

I used to give them away... but it was usually through those book trading sites so eventually I ended up gaining more too... :grin:

Speaking of books, I'm currently juggling three; one a grimdark fantasy, one a sequel fantasy and the other a Discworld novel, which is a category all of its own. Yeah, I do tend to read speculative fiction, fantasy and sci-fi more than any other genres, but read a bit of everything, really. Except actual romances. They're so trope-y they bore me to tears.

I'm glad I'm not the only one in the Tsundoku aesthetics... :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

My absolute favorite books of his are 'Kafka on the Shore','Norwegian Wood', 'Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World' and '1Q84' (for the latter i would like to have a little talk with his editor tho).

Norwegian Wood definitely sits on my podium for best Murakami's books :yay:

I don't read much but last year I discover I like sci-fi, tecnology related, thriller books when I read Cyberstorm and Darknet, both by Matthew Mather, hope he will release more books like those very soon :yes:

yay a book thread!

I love Murakami too! I'm currently reading Sputnik (I'm already in love with it after three pages lol) but my fave is probably Kafka. I also just finished reading a bunch of Banana Yoshimoto stories, I'd recommend them to anyone who likes Murakami, especially if you like his more "normal" books (think Norwegian Wood and South of the Border vs something like Kafka).

I have actually bought a lot of books since I started working and my bookshelf is full of unread works. I guess I fall into this category:

[image]http://www.awesomeinventions.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/japanese-words-tsundoku.jpg[/image]

From [link=http://www.awesomeinventions.com/japanese-words-that-dont-have-english-equivalents/3/]Awesome Inventions[/link]

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

*looks at pile of unread books* :sadPooh:

yay a book thread!

I love Murakami too! I'm currently reading Sputnik (I'm already in love with it after three pages lol) but my fave is probably Kafka. I also just finished reading a bunch of Banana Yoshimoto stories, I'd recommend them to anyone who likes Murakami, especially if you like his more "normal" books (think Norwegian Wood and South of the Border vs something like Kafka).

It's my first time to hear about Banana Yoshimoto. I'll definitely look for it! :pbow:

I have probably taken the longest break with books because it had become very hard for me to pay attention for a long period of time, or get interested in the stories. Mostly, I read 1900 classics that we have in our bookshelf at home, but I also had a small period of Victor Hugo madness. Les Misèrables is still one of my favourite books, together with The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck and Ulysses by James Joyce.

I'm not into contemporary literature (I suck).

yay a book thread!

I'm very interested in Banana Yoshimoto,but so far I couldn't find the one I most wanted ('Kitchen'),I've only seen N.P translated in my language.

Another Japanese writer worth checking is Kazuo Ishiguro,even if he's kind of hit or miss for me.But his book 'Never Let Me Go' is one of my favorite books ever.(his style is very different from Murakami jsyk).I also want to read the tetralogy 'The Sea of Fertility' by Yukio Mishima since I bought 2 of the books at a mega-sale - unfortunately it's book 2 and book 4,book 3 is sold out everywhere for some reason,I just have to buy the 1st one at full price to get me started at least.(I say this as I'm sitting here 5 books behind for my yearly reading challenge...)

I am currently painstakingly trying to finish Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. It's heavier than I anticipated, and with all the mandatory readings I have to do for grad prog, I am drowning. :crazy:

Oh I love that book! :love: The first time I read it I was in primary school and skipped most of the philosophy for the curious story. Then in middle school I tried again, got to the Hellenism part and stuck there for another 3 years :P Finally in high school I picked it up again, this time listening to the audiobook in English. One chapter during evening walk everyday, less than a month and it's done! (I was on an exchange program in the U.S. by then, had so much more free time than when being a Chinese high school student:P) By then the wonder of philosophy finally got me fascinated, so I picked up a paperback copy & read through it again & again. Till today in my college philosophy classroom, I still get reminded of this book now and then. The approachable way it illustrates philosophers' core ideas really provided me with a huge buffer for entering the realm of some great thinkers, who refused to write or speak like a normal human being :space: And it really had a huge part in the forming of my world view. Ganbatte with your reading! You'll enjoy it eventually and it's so worthwhile!

Another Japanese writer worth checking is Kazuo Ishiguro,even if he's kind of hit or miss for me.But his book 'Never Let Me Go' is one of my favorite books ever.(his style is very different from Murakami jsyk).I also want to read the tetralogy 'The Sea of Fertility' by Yukio Mishima since I bought 2 of the books at a mega-sale - unfortunately it's book 2 and book 4,book 3 is sold out everywhere for some reason,I just have to buy the 1st one at full price to get me started at least.(I say this as I'm sitting here 5 books behind for my yearly reading challenge...)

I have both Never Let Me Go and When We Were Orphans... but I haven't read them yet... :rofl2:

Currently in a bad bad reading slump *sobs* because of uni :cry:

Currently reading a terrible italian classic, Waking gods (sci-fi), dying to read 1Q84 >.>

If you like Japanese authors, I suggest Kirino Natsuo, loved Out.

I have both Never Let Me Go and When We Were Orphans... but I haven't read them yet... :rofl2:

Warning for 'Never Let Me Go': it's so sad and heartbreaking that i felt like i was physically ill for days after reading it :cry:

Another very depressing Japanese book i read is 'The Setting Sun' by Osamu Dazai.

• yuzupon changed the title to Books and Literature